time machine

Discussion in 'iMac' started by 2macman, Jun 14, 2011.

1. 2macman macrumors member

I have a 27 iMac.

I just bought a 500 GB external hard disk, and hooked it up with Time Machine.

There is only 300 GB used on my computer, but after only one month, the Time Machine is about filled and starting to delete the oldest files.

What happened? How can I prevent this?

Thanks.

2. alust2013 macrumors 601

alust2013

There may be only 300GB on your computer, but Time machine keeps old versions until it runs out of space, so it will take up more than you actually have on your computer. As long as the space you have used on your computer is less than the total space of your backup drive, you will still have a full backup of the most recent files.

3. philipma1957 macrumors 603

philipma1957

yeah do 2 things first download this

http://www.shirt-pocket.com/SuperDuper/SuperDuperDescription.html

it is free. then buy this

http://www.amazon.com/Fantom-GreenDrive-Desktop-External-GD2000EU/dp/B002RL8IJK

then name the larger drive time machine 2tb. then click and drag the backups from the 500gb to the 2tb hdd.

then name the 500gb osx/data clone then use superduper to clone your internal hdd to the external 500gb hdd.

then unplug it and store it remember to make a clone of the internal hdd once a month at the bare minimum. use the big 2tb as your tm. this is only 90 more dollars and gives you 2 shots at a rescue of a hdd crash instead of one.

4. Badger^2 macrumors 68000

Badger^2

Thats almost correct.

The "free" version only does entire backups -- so everytime you start SD it has to backup your entire 300 gigs. You have to pay $27 for the full version that does "incremental" backups.

Carbon Copy Cloner is free and does incremental backups -- if you decide to go that route.

5. onthecouchagain macrumors 604

onthecouchagain

Carbon Copy Cloner backs up to an external HDD that you specify? It's not some cloud or online server thing, is it?

6. philipma1957 macrumors 603

philipma1957

both ccc and superduper copy right to your hdd.

7. 2macman thread starter macrumors member

time machine backup

Thanks.

I found two programs, free I think, that allow us to change the backup time from every hour, to every 4 hour or 24 hours. Or even every week.

TimeMachineScheduler
    TimeMachineEditor

Is this a solution? Thoughts?

Thanks.