Time Machine

Discussion in 'Mac Apps and Mac App Store' started by G.T., Jun 18, 2009.

1. G.T. macrumors 6502a

I have finally gotten round to migrating my iphoto library to aperture (thought I should make full use of the software considering I did buy it). This is probably a stupid question but Time Machine does back up aperture library, right? I ask because aperture has its own vault back up thing. So without using vault and I loose my files, when I restore with Time Machine I will get my photos back, right? I read somewhere that Time Machine won't let u step back through the photos different editing stage unlike iPhoto, that I'm not bothered about I just want to know my photos are safe.

The other question I have is about what is saved onto Time Machine. For example, if I have software that is not part of the operating system like Photoshop is the program backed up? I plan to get Snow Leopard so can I restore my files from the Time Machine, when I install SL will it give me the option to restore from an external HD that was used with Time Machine like when u get a new mac and can move files.

2. G.T. thread starter macrumors 6502a

3. jav6454 macrumors P6

jav6454

Time Machines backs up everything. And when you restore from a Time Machine back-up, you get restored to the state your machine was when you last backed it up.

Meaning any programs or apps you had are going to be there if they were backed up.

4. G.T. thread starter macrumors 6502a

Thanks thats a gr8 deal off my mind I did think that but then thought it might only be files so that it saves on space. There shouldn't be a problem when I install SL then? I can restore and it will all be the same just a new OS. I imagine apple will make this straight forward but I need to ask.

5. G.T. thread starter macrumors 6502a

I have read some more on installing new OS, it is better to erase HD and do a fresh install when SL is released compared to archive and install? Also there won't be problems with my Time Machine back up if I erase HD to install and then restore using TM. Just I read somewhere, and this is another point I'm wondering, someone changed their HD and Time Machine had problems restoring cause it was not the drive it was backing up from? I ask cause I might upgrade the HD when SL is released install it on the new HD and the restore. Anyone had problems then when installing a new drive and using Time Machine to restore files, applications etc?

6. G.T. thread starter macrumors 6502a

Anyone? I would appreciate comments for my peace of mind. Thanks.

7. G.T. thread starter macrumors 6502a

8. gorjan macrumors 6502

Just install SL on the new drive and restore your document, photos and music from the TM-backup from within SL or with migration manager during install.

9. G.T. thread starter macrumors 6502a

OK yeah I think thats what I'll do, I was thinking when installing I'll restore with TM during install stage, will this mean I can get my info like location, computer name etc. If not I'm not bothered about redoing computer name, location etc.