TIME Ranks iPhone X and Apple Watch Series 3 Among Top 10 Best Gadgets of 2017

Discussion in 'MacRumors.com News Discussion' started by MacRumors, Nov 20, 2017.

1. MacRumors macrumors bot

MacRumors

[​IMG]

After previously earning the designation of one of the overall best inventions of 2017, the iPhone X has today been placed at the #2 spot on TIME's "Top 10 Gadgets of 2017" list. According to the magazine, Apple's new smartphone placed so highly because many of its features -- including Face ID and edge-to-edge display -- "will undoubtedly set a new standard for phones to come."

[​IMG]

Below the iPhone X, the following gadgets round out the top five spots: Microsoft Surface Laptop (#3), DJI Spark (#4), and Samsung Galaxy S8 (#5). TIME's #1 gadget of 2017 is the Nintendo Switch, which it says is a "true knockout" thanks to its games library and ability to transform from portable gaming to playing on a TV at home. There is some overlap with the devices mentioned on TIME's new list with the Top 25 Best Inventions of 2017 article from last week, including the iPhone X, DJI Spark, and Nintendo Switch.

Sitting further down the list is another Apple product, the Apple Watch Series 3, which earned the #9 spot. TIME said that the advantages introduced in the new version of the Apple Watch, like a faster processor and barometric altimeter, were great additions. But the magazine said the truly notable addition was LTE: "the freedom to leave your phone at home when you step out to walk the dog or go on a run may be just enough to persuade smartwatch skeptics that the Apple Watch is worth considering, especially for athletic types."

To see more of the items listed by TIME, check out the Top 10 Gadgets of 2017 ranking right here.

Article Link: TIME Ranks iPhone X and Apple Watch Series 3 Among Top 10 Best Gadgets of 2017

2. George Dawes macrumors 6502a

George Dawes

not like apple - despite pipeline problems

have any real competition is it ?

in so many ways they really are even now so ahead of the pack

3. Relentless Power macrumors Penryn

Relentless Power

Pipeline problems? You mean like how The Apple Watch smashed the competition and is the best selling smart Watch in the world.

4. Fireball Dragon macrumors 6502a

Fireball Dragon

Absolutely love my Apple Watch Series 3. Well placed in that list!

5. AppleFan91 macrumors 68000

AppleFan91

Top 10? Steve would have never approved!

But in all seriousness, they are fantastic products and arguably the leader in their categories. (I wouldn’t argue but some might)

6. alphaod macrumors Core

alphaod

I don't get how the Apple Watch with Cellular is a considered "top" seeing you cannot last a day with just the watch.

7. Baymowe335, Nov 20, 2017
    Last edited by a moderator: Nov 20, 2017

Baymowe335 macrumors 601

The Nintendo Switch is not better than the iPhone X or the Apple Watch.

8. modemthug macrumors regular

9. Relentless Power macrumors Penryn

Relentless Power

The Apple Watch has a rated battery life of 18 hours, which I think Apple is being conservative with. Do you really need more than 18 hours of battery life with the Apple Watch on a daily basis? Most charge their Apple Watch when it's not in use similarly to what they do with their iPhone on a daily basis. It's not that big of a deal.

10. JeffyTheQuik macrumors 68020

JeffyTheQuik

If only people read Time.

This is like "iPhone and :apple: Watch 3 win the Bazooka Joe Gum wrapper poll of best gadgets!"

11. Syk macrumors 6502a

I don't think I would have put the SNES, XBox, Echo or Apple Watch 3 on the list.

12. ArtOfWarfare, Nov 20, 2017
    Last edited: Nov 20, 2017

ArtOfWarfare macrumors G3

ArtOfWarfare

The Nintendo Switch is easily the best gaming device that has ever existed.

Since getting it, I never bother with games on my iPhone anymore. The Switch has vastly better games on it and is only slightly less portable.

I think it's major competition with the iPod Touch and iPad at least, since a lot of those are given to children as game devices, and at least competes with the Games category on the App Store for the iPhone.

I think Apple is likely to feel some pain from it - I'm curious if they'll respond. Really all they need to do is create something like the Joycons and Grip that works with iOS devices, and require games to support them.

13. 69Mustang macrumors 604

69Mustang

14. iPhone_X macrumors member

iPhone_X

Surprised by the things I've got on this list:

1. Nintendo Switch
    2. iPhone X
    6. SNES Classic
    10. Sony a7RIII

I decided to pass on the Xbox One X because I don't have enough time to play it since I've been using the Switch so much with my kids. I'll probably pick it up on sale next year once there are more games that take advantage of it. I've also been eyeing drones but am still waiting for prices to come down some more as I would be a pretty casual user. As for the Apple Watch, I am going to upgrade when Series 4 comes out next year and I'm hoping for a design change but it's not necessary for me to upgrade. This year was definitely a great year for tech!

15. Ds6778 macrumors 6502a

Ds6778

My series 3 last up to three days with moderate usage.

16. Zwhaler macrumors 604

Zwhaler

I don't see why this has to be painted as such a black and white issue. I switched to Android in late 2012 and still enjoy the innovations put up by the competition. Ranking a phone doesn't change the phone at all. It isn't much of a stretch to realize that people in one camp sometimes like to degrade the other and wish for their failure, but I wish that kind of rhetoric would decrease in popularity on these forums.

17. miniyou64 macrumors 6502a

miniyou64

The iPhone X is not that great. And the red dot on the watch is a terrible design decision.

18. Aluminum213 macrumors 68040

Aluminum213

The series 3 is riddle with connectivity issues and has about a 10 minute battery

Top 3? Come on mayne

19. dannyyankou macrumors G3

dannyyankou

I agree with much of this list, the Switch is great game console.

20. lkrupp macrumors 6502a

But Time Magazine is irrelevant, Apple paid Time for this article, iSheep will believe anything, and... and... and...

21. DTECHQUE macrumors member

If Jobs was alive, these products wouldn't be in the top 10...

22. MacBebe macrumors regular

Really? But according to Korea Times, "U.S. adults prefer Galaxy S8 to iPhone X"

23. Digital Dude macrumors 6502a

Digital Dude

Arizona where freedom still means something
    That is interesting and helpful to know. My Apple 2 Ceramic Watch always gets me through a full day, and when I'm too lazy to stick it on the charger, it's still working halfway through the second day! I can only assume it has to do with the LTE feature turned on.

24. Fall Under Cerulean Kites macrumors 6502

Fall Under Cerulean Kites

While I love my iPhone X, and AW3, Top 10 of 2017 is a pretty low bar to meet.