Time to stand up (um, I'm already standing and walking around)

Discussion in 'Apple Watch' started by Zeos, May 9, 2015.

1. Zeos macrumors 6502

Turned this feature off. It would tell me to stand up when I had just sat back down after walking around. Finally told me to stand up while I was already standing and after having just walked to another room. Too gimmicky for me.

2. irentamac macrumors regular

irentamac

Yeah my wife's has done similar things to her as well.

3. Fidget77 macrumors newbie

Mine does that occasionally, but I think it has to do with the swing of your arms. I spent almost an hour walking around the grocery store and as soon as I got back into my car, it told me to stand up. My guess is that even though I was walking, I had my hands on the shopping cart so my arms were swinging. Same thing if you're walking around with your hand in your pocket....it doesn't detect the movement. I'm not concerned about it. If it happens, I just go for another short walk :)

4. 418 macrumors member

I've had similar problems with the stand reminders and it sort of ruins what would otherwise be a nice feature. In addition to getting stand reminders when already standing, I've found that the watch is quite insensitive to movement. It'll remind me to stand but I'll have to walk around for several minutes before it counts it as a minute of standing. I've developed an extremely bouncy walk which I use when I want the watch to pick up on my standing; I now find myself trying to explain to anyone who witnesses it that it's "just how I walk, no, I'm not a slave to my Apple watch."

5. uiop. macrumors 68020

uiop.

On the contrary, if I'm laying on my couch and hang my arm off the couch, it'll count it as standing.

6. modernaccord macrumors 6502a

It's not particularly accurate...I often get move cals when I haven't moved from my desk in hours.

7. BillyTrimble macrumors 6502a

Did you go to Apple's site and submit a feedback on this? If you only complain here and don't let Apple know of the issues, they won't get fixed.

8. eagleglen macrumors 6502a

eagleglen

When I get a stand reminder, I'll stand and swing my arms around to make sure I get credit. Seemed annoying to have to do that, but then I realized doing so is also good for my circulation, so now I don't mind. I haven't gotten a reminder when I was already standing however, that would be make me loose confidence in the thing. As it is, I'm pretty proud of myself when I complete all three rings. I'm doing so regularly now, so I might need to up my move goal, although I thought it would make that suggestion for me.

9. supertomtom macrumors 6502

supertomtom

I've turned it off as well for this reason. Plus, I know I'm a pretty active person already and have it reminding me in the middle of my appointments was a bit annoying. Still think it's a good feature for those who are more sedentary, just need to improve its accuracy.

10. tivoboy macrumors 68030

00:50

It's simply set to go off at 10 minute before the hour, regardless..

I'll often stand up at 15 before, be walking around then DING the 10 minute before the hour warning comes up.

11. a2bucks macrumors member

My guess is that they will fix this with a software update before too long. It's probably an issue with how the accelerometer is deciding your current position.

12. brittany0613 macrumors member

If you have it set to give you a weekly activity update, it will do that. It will tell you how many days in the week you met your goal and suggest a new goal based on that.

13. spiderman0616 macrumors 68030

spiderman0616

I've found that to get it to register as me "standing" I have to actually do something besides simply stand up. I work from home, so I normally just go up our two flights of stairs to the bedroom, walk in a circle, and then come back down. That seems to get my heart rate up enough to count as having "moved". I believe it's more heart rate related than anything else.

14. sdallnct2 macrumors regular

I'm sorry, but I think this is a FANTASTIC feature.

There has been article after article and study after study showing that indeed sitting to much is the new smoking. It is a serious issue. Yes, a complicated one (how much does exercise, general fitness level and other factors play), but a serious one. And I applaud Apple for doing something.

Is what they have perfect? Of course not. But so what if it tells you to stand a little to often? Or if you are already standing. I'm sure the feature will only be improved with time.

I often work from home and since having Apple Watch, I've realized I would sit for way to long of periods. Now I exercise daily, but I use the "stand" feature to sometimes do a little mini-workout. Like one set of push-ups and one set of planks.

I like the feature. Imperfect and all. And IMO just that one feature makes it much more useful to me than my old Nike Fuelband that is now in the trashcan.

15. MasterRyu2011 macrumors 65816

Yeah my watch does that from time to time. I don't take it seriously in that it's not very accurate. But it's hilarious when it does pop up.

16. Cyberpower678 macrumors 6502

You'll all get a kick from this. I'm working in the garage moving stuff around. "DING DING" Time to stand up. I'm going "what"? Then I momentarily sit down to drink some what. "DING DING" You did it. You have earned one standup hour towards your goal.

Must be opposite day for the watch. :confused:

17. Supermallet macrumors 65816

Supermallet

I've found that the watch seems to arbitrarily pick what counts as "standing" versus "not standing". Since they give you the little graph under the stand ring that tells you what hours you did and did not get credit for, I've been making sure to stand up and walk around for several minutes each hour. It's not given me credit for multiple hours throughout the day, seemingly at random. Very annoying.

18. mavis macrumors 68040

mavis

Am I the only one who doesn't really care about this stuff? Meaning, I'll stand up when I'm ready to stand up! I don't plan on adjusting my behavior to conform to the whims of an engineer at Apple.

19. gsmornot macrumors 68030

gsmornot

I would leave the feature on. Surely there are times during the day when you really did need to stand and it reminded you it was time. If it does not see that you have just been standing its not the end of the world. Just move around a little more for 60 seconds and get your credit. After all, its only going to do you good that you're moving.

20. The Doctor11 macrumors 603

The Doctor11

I love to sit on my ass. I also don't stand up for anything. Nothing! But you slap an Apple Watch on my wrist and I'll do whatever I have to if it means I can fill up my rings!!! Even if it means I have to get off my ass, the thing I hate doing most.

21. BvizioN macrumors 68040

BvizioN

Personally I have found it to be pretty damn accurate. It never alerts me if I am already standing up, and it does notify me after a minute or so standing that I did it (but sometimes it takes much longer then a minute)

Some guys of course will dismiss this feature, forgetting that prolonged sitting can lead to all sorst of health problems like cardiovascuar disease, diabetes, obesity and even death.

22. Mildredop macrumors 68020

Can Apple see how many watch owners have turned of certain features?

23. grenhall macrumors regular

I can see that many of you haven't read the manual regarding this feature. It only reminds you when it's ten minutes to something IF you've been sitting down when the hour was entered.

For example.

You walk around and sit down by your desk at 10:58. Then at 11:15 you stand up and don't move. By 11:50 you'll probably get a reminder to stand up and WALK around a little.

I haven't had any issues at all with this thing. If I'm walking around for the first time on any given hour it counts my stand.

24. Mildredop macrumors 68020

So once you stand up, the phone buzzes to tell you you've just stood up?

25. BvizioN macrumors 68040

BvizioN

Yes, it does notify you when it is satisfied with the amount of time you stood up. But that is only after it alerts you to stand up. If you stood up with out being alerted by the watch, it will silently record it on the activity app.