Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

Capt. Morgan

macrumors member
Jan 16, 2008
A lot of it is simply backlash toward people who've started acting as if the MB/Ps are Terribly Heavy Laptops that were Impossible To Bear before the Macbook Air came along.

All this tells me is that you really don't travel very much.

I can't count the number of threads where people have started recommending MBAs to high schoolers looking for all-in-one college laptops under the pretext that "business professionals don't need optical drives". As long as MBA fanboys keep treating the MBA as the second coming, plenty of people will be only too happy to pull them back into cold, hard, reality.

Oh, I have my reservations about the performance trade-offs with the MBA. But then again, I'm upgrading from a 7 year old Graphite iMac - the MBA should be plenty fast. But I am not really sure what FireWire is used for, so I'm probably not as computer-studly as you are. But half the weight and volume of the MBP are pretty compelling to someone that travels 16-20 days a month. I think I'll wait to get my hands on one at the Apple store ... hear the first buyer reports ... and see the SSD benchmarks. But it I find it lacking, I'll probably just buy a new desktop computer.

heatmiser

macrumors 68020
Dec 6, 2007

I travel quite often, and the Macbook works for me. I flew in December, took the train this January, and will be flying again on the first of February. Sorry, you'll have to find another excuse. My point stands. Get the MBA if you want, but don't pretend for a second the MB/Ps were Unbearably Heavy Laptops only Musclemen Could Use. That's just disingenuous.

kuwisdelu

macrumors 65816
Jan 13, 2008

I travel quite often, and the Macbook works for me. I flew in December, took the train this January, and will be flying again on the first of February. Sorry, you'll have to find another excuse. My point stands. Get the MBA if you want, but don't pretend for a second the MB/Ps were Unbearably Heavy Laptops only Musclemen Could Use. That's just disingenuous.

You silly people. It doesn't have to be black or white. Neither are MacBooks and MacBook Pros extremely heavy, nor is the difference in weight in the MBA completely without purpose. I carry a MacBook with me to all my classes at university, and while it's no problem in general, less weight would mean a much healthier shoulder on my part; it's not something I'd complain about, but having an MBA is the difference between having room in my bag to bring a textbook to do homework during breaks in class or not. Is that kind of thing worth it to me to get an MBA? For some people it is; for some people it's a resounding "no." For me? I don't know; my MacBook is still new, and I'm not in the market for a new laptop right now, so it's not something I think about much. Maybe when rev 2 comes around.

Edit: I just noticed..."it doesn't have to be black or white"....MacBooks come in black and white, while the MacBook Air comes in neither :D I amuse myself sometimes. Okay, I'll go away now.... /nerdiness

RedTomato

macrumors 601
Mar 4, 2005
.. London ..
http://reviews.cnet.com/laptops/apple-macbook-air-core/4505-3121_7-32818756.html?tag=bubbl_3

OT: Check out the video -- I was :eek: when he closed the Air that first time :eek: That is why I'm replacing my MBP with this! :apple:

My macbook starts up even faster than that when I open it. That's with mail.app open and Firefox with about 20 tabs open.

4GB of matched RAM in my MB really helps. Before I added the ram last week, it was a lot slower to start up. Switching apps took ages, now it's instant.

So thank me, I just saved you $2900. For $100, you can add 4GB to your MBP.

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.