Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

HenryDJP

Suspended
Nov 25, 2012
United States
Just a quick reply to a few points:
1)Firstly, can I say how encouraged I am so many people are having a relatively seamless experience with Yosemite - a welcome surprise as I based my post on MANY accounts on MacRumours and other music/photography forums where people have been having a torrid time with the new OS.
2) I was hoping to get representative feedback - got a lot of "I'm all right Jack - must be user error" comments ….. but maybe the people with problems have wi-fi issues and other stuff going on and can't connect to the Internet to voice their opinions here. Interesting that "dav1dd" tried to upgrade on the weekend and it broke his wi-fi ….. an issue many have had and we are 6 months since launch …… is that normal? …. or should that bug have been fixed by now? Oh, sorry, must be user error? The experts on here, who incidentally do a great job correcting user error and trying to help us cope with Apple's new OS incompatibilities must be well hardened to accepting this is normal. And it's important to remember that for every poster with a problem there may be hundreds/possibly thousands more with the same issue - waiting for a solution.
3)To those who comment "You don't have to upgrade, we test thoroughly before upgrading" Nice to have the luxury of multiple devices and time and resources and expertise to beta test. But good to hear the business world isn't crippled by this upgrade. For others it's more of a Catch22 situation …… you never know until you download if you are going to be a new statistic on the ever burgeoning mental health register of the World within the next 48 hours!
4)Apple never seem to inform us in advance what the OS is NOT compatible with.
"Scared poet" says developers were well primed in advance with Yosemite for beta testing - more so than any previous release. Then why do people still have so many problems? Did the initial core concept of the new OS present unique difficulties? You get info on which issues have been resolved with the new update but not what is still causing major problems. Makes it difficult to know when to upgrade. Experienced users (twice bitten thrice shy) seem to delay quite a while.Trouble is you now only get 6 months of relatively trouble-free use before you are confronted with another "New Whizzo Must Have OS" that will have you running to the doctors for a new sedative prescription.
5)Technology moves fast these days - Maybe someone can write a bit explaining why we have to develop OS systems that have such painful birthing process - that get aborted prematurely just when they are maturing nicely. Was Yosemite so radically new - cleaner, leaner and so much faster - that they had to throw away a lot of really good stable code?
Footnote: Truly have no problem people copy/paste - as long as they don't then charge others to read or quote out of context. Yes, I did post on Cnet - but there was a glitch on 'Submit' so posted here.(Surely inaccurate to accuse me of "ranting" all over forums "satcomer" - total of 3 posts on here, none on other sites on this issue)

For goodness sake, please separate your paragraphs. I'll bet more than half the members participating in this thread (including me) are not reading you're posts past the first line. It's too bunched up and it gives me a headache trying to read it. If you want people to respect the message you're putting out please make it easy for people to read....after all, we are reading your posts, not you.

Dubdrifter

Suspended
Original poster
Jan 30, 2015
Cheers "Bending Pixels" - no I don't need a hug - but maybe those having real problems with Yosemite do, and not just one!

Although I keep explaining the reason for writing the post, responders are still assuming I am personally having similar problems with my own computer. In none of the posts have I mentioned my own personal situation in all this - just the sentence "I personally can't spend any more of my precious time on new operating systems that create more problems than offer improvements"

It is fairer and more valid to write pieces like this from the experiences of a much broader number of complaints about Yosemite - which is what I did - so this hasn't been a personal 'rant' at all about MY situation - but about many other people's situation.

Not that it is very relevant to the general discussion here, a bit of personal stuff: I am on 10.6.8 Macbook Pro - yes, it's been very trouble-free(Recommended) I want to upgrade to integrate my recent iPhone 5/contacts/iCloud etc. 10.6.8 is not compatible with iCloud apparently so to integrate with iOS8 I need to upgrade. Have seen new OS come and go, some paid, the latest two free - all riddled with issues -I don't want a Windows experience when I upgrade so held off and did my research - from the advice on here it sounds like I did the right thing.

I like and use Garageband - for those in the know it has been very popular with musicians because of it's ease of use and apps/plug-ins flexibility - professional musicians also love it. Yosemite did a MAJOR rejig of Garageband and it lost a lot of features and connect-ability. However, they have since repaired a lot of the damage they did since the so-called upgrade - so I thought this was a good time to try Yosemite - so researched compatibility. Read about the number of people still having MAJOR issues with Yosemite 6 months after launch and decided to articulate their frustration in a general way.

This forum is a community and a caring community and when there is an issue with the new OS - and I thought there was - then it's right that it is aired and discussed to see if people know the reason for the problems and discuss general strategies as to how this may be avoided in future releases - And ask the question why does it always have to be like this?

(From the feedback here I now get the impression that maybe Yosemite has legs and if given a chance can evolve into quite a good OS for Apple.)

Interesting hearing other people reminiscing about how good 10.6.8 and especially Tiger was - and the fact it worked so well straight out of the box. Would be helpful to know from people who programmed Tiger what made it work so well and what tips they would pass on to those programming Apple's next OS? - so that integration is equally seamless. Sounds like they should be working on the new OS - let's hope they are!

Thanks to all who responded to my post ….. positive/negative it all contributes to a wider picture on the history of OS and upgrading.

Guess the consensus is DON'T - then only 6 months later with extreme caution and a doctorate worth of research! Good advice for any relative newbies out there ….. but probably not really what Apple wants to hear …… they need the community to Beta test.

The trouble is, if you release the very raw Beta too early - it causes so much disruption, manufacturers of peripherals and apps get jaded with the hassle and eventually decide they can't afford to spend any more time and resources year after year and either don't upgrade or leave the platform.

The number of 'busted' apps/plug-ins that never get resurrected in a new OS is probably testimony to this - so less choice for the user (who wants to modernise) and a 'dumbed down Apple version' with less options to replace it. Hmmm ….. and we thought we were moving forwards.

Just one of many cases to prove my point: Apple Please Support "Aperture" - Professional photographers love it.
See https://forums.macrumors.com/threads/1749116/

Have posed a number of questions over my last 3 posts …. some of which have been answered. Would be good to hear views on a couple of questions in my last post. Re:

Did the initial core concept of the new OS present unique difficulties?
and
5)Technology moves fast these days - Maybe someone can write a bit explaining why we have to develop OS systems that have such painful birthing process - that get aborted prematurely just when they are maturing nicely. Was Yosemite so radically new - cleaner, leaner and so much faster - that they had to throw away a lot of really good stable code?

Footnote: Took your advice on board HenryDJP - Hope you like the new spacing. (Mistakenly thought meaty posts were no problem on here but this is the Twitter generation! - so good point.

Last edited:

Cancelled
May 21, 2009
10.10.2 ruined the audio functionality of my early 2011 MBP. I'm running Windows now via Boot Camp because I can no longer use iTunes, FaceTime, or Skype when I need to. A clean reinstall of Yosemite did nothing, AppleCare did nothing except tell me to either "buy a new Mac or wait for a possible software update." I was less than six months outside the AppleCare extended warranty, and I'm told to "buy a new Mac" for an issue Apple created.

When I asked "if" there would be a software update since "possible" could mean anything, I was again told nothing. This is that "world class" customer service Apple is supposedly known for--"So sorry we ruined your computer....we may come out with a fix for it but I don't know...in the meantime, buy a new computer from us."

I've owned Macs since 2003 and I'm looking to purchase my first non-Apple laptop in a long time after this one dies. Considering this is the infamous early 2011 model, that time may come sooner rather than later.

fisherking

macrumors G4
Jul 16, 2010
ny somewhere
snow leopard at 10.6.8 was easily apple's best moment... (until, potentially, yosemite after more bug fixes). fast, stable, light. an incredible OS X...

calderone

Cancelled
Aug 28, 2009
I just upgraded from Mavericks last night. No issues (outside of some postgresql stuff).

Keys to success:
1. Wait.
2. If you have had issues with your machine, resolve them before trying to upgrade.
3. Make a note of exotic things (in my case postgres and ruby stuffs). Make a checklist to test those items after upgrade.

Cancelled
May 21, 2009
Try reinstalling ML or Mavericks then and see how it goes...?

Maybe in a few weeks when I have time to deal with it. AFAIK, there is no official/supported way to downgrade so it's going to require a full overhaul of all my data--something I'm not keen on doing right now. If the Mac died, then of course that would push things but right now I'm fine working in Windows.

fisherking

macrumors G4
Jul 16, 2010
ny somewhere
the only thing i miss from 'the old days' is...less macusers=more intelligence on this forum, more discussion of issues and fixes, and less whining.

ultimately, apple will continue to move forward, sometimes stumble, sometimes shine, and we'll move along with it...or fall behind.

meanwhile, i'm personally going to stop reading these sad threads, and focus on the productive, help-needed or help-offered ones. :cool:

rampancy

macrumors 6502a
Jul 22, 2002
People were saying the same thing about Mavericks this time last year.

In a year, people will be complaining about OS X Diablo and wanting to go back to the rock solid 10.10.5.

...and they've been saying this of OS X ever since the Public Beta. People were screaming bloody murder during the transition from Panther to Tiger, and during the transition from Leopard to Snow Leopard, yet now 10.4.11 and 10.6.8 are commonly regarded as some of the best OS releases that Apple ever shipped.

I'm not denying that there are problems (there are many), or that Apple's yearly OS X strategy is problematic (it definitely is, in terms of quality and polish), but people should know by now that precaution always should be taken before a major (or even a minor) OS release -- do your due diligence before you upgrade, backup your system, or clone your system and upgrade to test everything out, etc.

3)To those who comment "You don't have to upgrade, we test thoroughly before upgrading" Nice to have the luxury of multiple devices and time and resources and expertise to beta test. But good to hear the business world isn't crippled by this upgrade. For others it's more of a Catch22 situation …… you never know until you download if you are going to be a new statistic on the ever burgeoning mental health register of the World within the next 48 hours!

...You know, it actually is worth the time and money to go out and get a cheap external hard drive to do backups and do compatibility testing with a clone of your system. The time and money you invest to do that (You can still use apps like CCC or SuperDuper for free) is surely worth more than the time you'll spend in lost productivity due to frustrations and troubleshooting, because of broken or wonky apps. External storage has never been more affordable. At this point, none of us have any excuses... (Apart from laziness... ;) )

ButteryScrollin

macrumors 6502a
Jul 29, 2014
People were screaming bloody murder during the transition from Panther to Tiger, and during the transition from Leopard to Snow Leopard, yet now 10.4.11 and 10.6.8 are commonly regarded as some of the best OS releases that Apple ever shipped.

Agreed.

JayKyte

macrumors newbie
Jul 7, 2014
Yosemite has serious bugs.

It's management's fault.

Go back to Mavericks.

Go back to Snow Leopard , cos Lion, Mountain Lion, and Mavericks all had issues ....

There will always be issues ..

Deal with it OP..:D

jms969

macrumors 6502
Feb 17, 2010
Go back to Snow Leopard , cos Lion, Mountain Lion, and Mavericks all had issues ....

:rolleyes:

It is a bit difficult to deal with it when yosemite cripples your machine (your lively hood) and :apple: takes months to fix the most egregious failures of the OS!!!

Tubamajuba

macrumors 68020
Jun 8, 2011
here
Footnote: Took your advice on board HenryDJP - Hope you like the new spacing. (Mistakenly thought meaty posts were no problem on here but this is the Twitter generation! - so good point.

It has nothing to do with the "Twitter generation" and everything to do with the formatting. Books, news articles, and other long text entries have clearly separated paragraphs. Your initial posts in this thread did not.

Still, kudos for the way you've been responding to people. Usually, when people rant like you did, they just go off the deep end when they reply to the rebuttals. You've been acknowledging other viewpoints, which is sadly rare on the internet.

ABC5S

Suspended
Sep 10, 2013
Florida

I see no problems with yosemite...

Agree 100%.

It's User Error that is the problem. If the vast majority thinks its just fine than the user has done something to there system that is the issue, i.e.: old or not compatible programs, added something to the computer, etc. No sympathy for them now or ever. I like Yosemite. :p

Paradoxally

macrumors 68000
Feb 4, 2011
Agree 100%.

It's User Error that is the problem. If the vast majority thinks its just fine than the user has done something to there system that is the issue, i.e.: old or not compatible programs, added something to the computer, etc. No sympathy for them now or ever. I like Yosemite. :p

So it's user error that my Finder lags when I scroll through it on a 2014 retina Mac? Or that Mission Control does that too after a few hours?

Please. Yosemite sucks.

fisherking

macrumors G4
Jul 16, 2010
ny somewhere
So it's user error that my Finder lags when I scroll through it on a 2014 retina Mac? Or that Mission Control does that too after a few hours?

Please. Yosemite sucks.

personally, i don't think it's user error, but it's YOUR experience with yosemite that sucks, not everybody's...

if people on this forum could make that distinction, we could focus more on support, ideas for fixes, etc. but seems people would rather whine and complain then ASK for help.. :rolleyes:

Smiler1968

macrumors newbie
Dec 12, 2014
Most people have zero problems with Yosemite. These forums have what in statistics is called "bias" - the majority of people who are going to post here are those who have problems. If a user is running their machine with Yosemite problem-free, why would they post here?

Mine works just fine. But then again I'm new to Macs and have never even seen another operating system ( other than Windows ).

Eithanius

macrumors 68000
Nov 19, 2005
personally, i don't think it's user error, but it's YOUR experience with yosemite that sucks, not everybody's...

if people on this forum could make that distinction, we could focus more on support, ideas for fixes, etc. but seems people would rather whine and complain then ASK for help.. :rolleyes:

Since he and I have laggy Finder on Yosemite (and Mavericks in my case), then tell me, what can you do to help...? :rolleyes:

fisherking

macrumors G4
Jul 16, 2010
ny somewhere
Since he and I have laggy Finder on Yosemite (and Mavericks in my case), then tell me, what can you do to help...? :rolleyes:

and since most of us DON'T have that issue...it's not the OS in general, but your experience. why is this concept so challenging for some people? "my mac does this in yosemite, so yosemite sucks"?

meanwhile: a place to start

Eithanius

macrumors 68000
Nov 19, 2005
and since most of us DON'T have that issue...it's not the OS in general, but your experience. why is this concept so challenging for some people? "my mac does this in yosemite, so yosemite sucks"?

meanwhile: a place to start

Really...? :rolleyes:

Snow Leopard runs Finder fine, so does Lion and Mountain Lion, but lags on Mavericks and Yosemite... User experience = user problem no...?

No wonder Apple is on a decline... Because of people like you... people who don't give a damn about user experience... :rolleyes:

bigmikeinnj

macrumors regular
Jul 13, 2010
River Forest, IL.
I'm back on Mavericks from an old Time Capsule backup, thanks to help from the local genius bar. Yosemite got pushed out the door with too many wifi and bluetooth issues. So many newer iMacs have wireless keyboards and the bluetooth issues make using a Mac an nightmare.

I was just fine back on Mavericks until 12/22 when Apple released a security update for all Macs, I installed the Mavericks version and POOF, my Bluetooth issues were back. I ended up buying a wired Apple keyboard and mouse and all my problems are gone now. Run a week and don't have to reboot every 10 minutes.

It's like Apple is pushing product out the door so fast they're not really testing software updates for legacy products like iMacs. Sorry Apple I am mighty disappointed in you all.

Morpheo

macrumors 65816
Feb 26, 2014
Paris/Montreal

Not noticing that the Finder lags in Yosemite is not that they don't have the issue, it's that they don't care. It IS noticeable. If it doesn't bother you, fine. I don't think Yosemite "sucks", but it could be better. Until it is, I'm staying with Mavericks. The Finder lags because it is busy showing you "cool" effects. I prefer my computer's resources assigned to something else.

Eithanius

macrumors 68000
Nov 19, 2005
Not noticing that the Finder lags in Yosemite is not that they don't have the issue, it's that they don't care. It IS noticeable. If it doesn't bother you, fine. I don't think Yosemite "sucks", but it could be better. Until it is, I'm staying with Mavericks. The Finder lags because it is busy showing you "cool" effects. I prefer my computer's resources assigned to something else.

I'm surprise that you didn't notice that Finder is also slow on Mavericks...

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.