Time to try a new brand Lightning cable

Discussion in 'iPhone Accessories' started by davidg4781, Nov 30, 2016.

1. davidg4781 macrumors 68020

I used to use monoprice Lightning cables and they would always start fraying after a few months, even when it was connected to an iPhone dock and not really moving. I thought the fact I can get them longer and less expensive than Apple was worth it.

6 months ago I switched to Anker Durable and Fast with Kevlar Fiber and Double Braided Nylon. Last night I plugged in iPhone before going to sleep and I got lucky it dinged that it was at 20% because it has stopped charging.

That was my first experience with Anker and I'm not sure I'll buy from them again.

What other brands are out there? I need about a 6ft one due to where the plug is in relation to my bed. Should I just stick with Apple?

I went a few pages in and couldn't find any posts on cables. I was surprised, unless these get tossed to the wasteland.

2. Relentless Power macrumors P6

Relentless Power

I own both OEM and Anker. And I have never had an issue with Anker cables. In my opinion, Anker is one of the best secondary options on the market. Are you sure it's yours cable and not the charging brick.

3. davidg4781 thread starter macrumors 68020

The Anker cable looks perfect, but it has that nylon outer shell. I've only used it in my bedroom to charge my iPhone overnight or if I go to the living room and want to charge it while watching TV. There's basically little movement while it's charging. And I don't have a cat to chew it up.

I'm using it with an Apple OEM charger. The night it stopped working I unplugged a 3ft Anker cable (same model type) from my mini and put that in the Apple charger and it's worked fine. I plugged the cable into the back of the mini and nothing. iPhone charges fine with the other cable and in my car.

And unfortunately I removed the serial number sticker from the cable. I didn't know it was important until after it was thrown away.

4. willmtaylor macrumors G3

willmtaylor

I've had this one for some time now without any issues:
    http://forums.macrumors.com/threads/choetech-mfi-certified-lightning-cable-review.1953300/

5. davidg4781 thread starter macrumors 68020

Interesting. That looks very similar to the anker one I had. I wonder if they're made by the same supplier.

6. jterp7 macrumors 6502a

I almost bought one of those weird third party charge cables and brick set at costco. Just browsing the reviews tells tou everything you need to know.

Funny thing is my overused oem cable with the wire literally fraying apart charges perfectly.

7. limnancy macrumors newbie

limnancy

8. JayJohnPaul macrumors regular

JayJohnPaul

Apple OEM cable, ftw. Sure the quality is crap but it works and never lets me down. I've tried every aftermarket cable from cheap to expensive and they all stopped working (this cable is not supported, BS) within 3 months.

9. blcfla macrumors regular

I use Apple brand for the standard length in my office, car, etc but I have an Anker 10ft by my nightstand because the standard is a little too short. The Anker feels much thicker and heavy duty compared to the Apple.

Never had a problem with any cables other than the cheapest of cheap china knockoffs.

10. Stereo macrumors member

This, every 3rd party I've tried always fail. In fact, cheaper ones I get from Wally World for like $5 has lasted longer than most.

11. keenkreations macrumors regular

Have you tried the AmazonBasic lightning cables from Amazon? They work pretty good, and I have a few of them lying around that have been working for the past couple years.

12. davidg4781 thread starter macrumors 68020

Haven't tried AmazonBasic. Went with a different model with Anker.

13. dictoresno macrumors 601

dictoresno

I own numerous cables by Allreli at varying lengths and it's the only aftermarket cable I trust. All MFI and the actual lightning part is the same size as apples. But the cable themselves are thicker and I have yet to have one fail or fray. Highly recommend these.

[Apple MFI Certified] aLLreLi 9.8ft Apple Lightning to USB Cable

https://www.amazon.com/dp/B010P914QE/ref=cm_sw_r_cp_api_PyptybRY34HRG