Time to Unload - 6 Trade Values Just Tanked

Discussion in 'iPhone' started by puma1552, Sep 1, 2016.

1. puma1552 macrumors 601

Gazelle dropped from like $230 to $192 for a 64 gig 6 in the last 2 days, same at Buyback World. Gamestop is still $225 but don't expect that to last.

Celltradein is still offering $275, but you only have 48 hours to send it in. I expect this to drop very soon.

Not sure what other trade in options are out there, I know Apple was $225, not sure now.

But if you're going to trade, you are running out of time to get a decent price, just FYI.

2. Relentless Power macrumors P6

Relentless Power

This would be expected with a new iPhone release in a week.

3. puma1552, Sep 1, 2016
    Last edited by a moderator: Sep 1, 2016

puma1552 thread starter macrumors 601

i guess ill leave it to you to connect the dots yourself.

4. Dwalls90 macrumors 601

Dwalls90

So then what do you do for almost a month, while you have no phone?

5. maxsix Suspended

maxsix

The days of iPhones holding their resale value are over.

As the tide turns and Apple loses its luster, iPhones become just another phone. The last few years of complacency, profit taking and potification are catching up to Apple. Only the faithful view Apple through rose colored glasses.

Samsungs innovation, stellar design and world class performance have paid off.

6. puma1552 thread starter macrumors 601

With contracts disappearing though, I wonder if resale/trade-ins will increase next year, since nobody is going to be able to go out and get a new one for $300 anymore? Time will tell.

7. wxnats macrumors 6502a

Couldn't believe how much they dropped compared to last year. AT&T offering me a much better price so going with them.

8. Black05Hemi macrumors member

Don't forget the lag from Touchwiz there fanboy. Samsung can design whatever they want, i'll never own another phone from them.

9. Newtons Apple macrumors P6

Newtons Apple

Looks like Samsung will be eating a lot of Note units as they catch fire while charging!

The Chinese are no different than Apple and I suspect that profit taking "was" at the top of their list!

10. ABC5S Suspended

ABC5S

Easy. Use a flip phone or a another phone around the house if you can.

11. cc999 macrumors 6502

Except for the exploding batteries on their flagship Note 7!
    I have news for you Samsung is worse than Apple.

CC

12. Rob198612 macrumors 6502

Half of those companies that offer trade ins are a complete rip off. I deal with swappa and have always sold my old phone at a huge margin.
    --- Post Merged, Sep 2, 2016 ---
    Only thing good that Samsung offers is their tvs

13. puma1552 thread starter macrumors 601

This is probably a dumb question - if you sell your phone early, you just keep the old SIM in order to keep your phone number, right? In other words, your phone number is stored on the SIM, so as long as you keep that and move it phone to phone your number won't change?

14. oneMadRssn, Sep 2, 2016
    Last edited: Sep 2, 2016

oneMadRssn macrumors 68040

oneMadRssn

These trade values as not market prices. I'm more interested in what actual end-users are paying for used iPhones than what middle-men are paying. And not just with phones, when I look up the value of a car on kbb, i look at private-party price rather than trade-in price.

Nothing against trading in a phone or a car, it's just understood that those who are trading in are essentially paying a cut off the price to the middle-man for doing the legwork of selling. Thus, the price these trade-in places pay are not market prices, but rather their offer includes their cost of selling.

15. lordofthereef macrumors G5

lordofthereef

If you're referring to Samsung here, they're a Korean company.
    Yes
    I feel like using s flip phone for an entire month out of the year just to save yourself 50 bucks is kind of disingenuous, but I know people do it. I did many years ago. Granted the return was a decent bit higher but... looking back it probably wasn't worth it.

16. Applejuiced macrumors Westmere

Applejuiced

Within a week there will be thousands of devices flooding the used market.
    It will be a buyers market since prices will drop cause people want to unload them and put the money towards the next iPhone.

17. puma1552 thread starter macrumors 601

On that note, how do the prepaid phones work? You just go buy one in a blister pack at best buy or whatever, then come home and just load some money on it with your bank card? I had one like 5 years ago while waiting for the 4S, but can't remember how it worked.

I was looking at this one:

http://www.bestbuy.com/site/verizon...blue/5358001.p?id=1219120767268&skuId=5358001

Buy that for $20, put $10 on it, and I'm only out $30? Or are there more fees for activation or minimum amounts you have to put on the phone, etc.?

EDIT: Even better, here's one for $10:

https://www.walmart.com/ip/T-Mobile-Kyocera-Rally-Prepaid-Cell-Phone-Graphite-Gray/44618321

18. Pipper99 macrumors 68000

Pipper99

Gazelle and some of the other buyers usually give you 30 days to ship your phone to them. Hopefully, the new iPhones will arrive on the 23rd if the rumored launch date is correct (and you're quick enough to get your order placed before the ship dates start to slip). If you get an offer today, you'd have about a week or so to get your old phone to Gazelle or some other purchaser.

19. inboxer macrumors regular

Glad that I locked in my quote to sell my iphone to buybackworld last week. It looks like the prices dropped quite a bit. Hopefully I will receive my new iPhone 7 in time. I think my quote is good until October 1. I checked other sites and it looks like the prices dropped as well. I will keep an eye on to see what the Apple trade-in program is offering as a credit.

20. Tsuchiya macrumors 68020

Tsuchiya

I'm just hoping Apple Renew pricing holds. Want at least £220 for my 6+ (currently £240).

21. comptr macrumors 65816

this is why you sell your iPhone 6 way back in the first week of August.
    that what I did I sold my 6 Plus back in the first week of August and now using a flip phone till the 7 comes out.

22. noobinator macrumors 601

I have a Lumia 640 that I picked up for $30 that I use for these instances.

23. puma1552 thread starter macrumors 601

Swappa trade in (which is done through Nextworth) is still doing $240 for a 64 gig 6, locked in for 30 days. So I just went ahead and did that and carried it far enough through to get the quote sent to my email, which is a close enough price to Buyback World's $275 without the hassle/expense of having to get a prepaid phone in the meantime, so it works out the same. Will sit on my 6 with that offer and see what the 7 brings, and decide between 7 or SE (or maybe nothing) after the keynote.