Time to upgrade from 2009 macbook pro or not

Discussion in 'MacBook Pro' started by comptr, Oct 15, 2014.

1. comptr macrumors 65816

Well I have a 2009 macbook pro and I am now starting to have some issues as its getting old and I am trying to figure out if its better to upgrade now as the computer is getting 5 years old and its running a bit slow. I already maxed out the ram and installed a ssd.

If I was to get a new computer I would sell my current macbook pro. There is no major problems with the computer right now but when I took it to the genius bar they that the SSD inside the computer has failed so when I sell it I will put back the original HD. Similar computers to mine are selling for around 600.00 on craiglist in my area.

Also the battery life is not great on this computer plus often the computer freezes up for a few seconds so I am thinking its time for a new computer.

I use the computer for Photoshop Lightroom and Final cut as I do some of my photography work and edit most of my videos on my laptop as i also use a iMac but I travel quite a bit so I need to have a computer with me instead of waiting till I get back to load the images or get started on editing the videos.
    Thanks in advance

2. maflynn Moderator

maflynn

Staff Member

Sounds like you could benefit from a newer model.

It also sounds like you're don't have a burning desire to rush out and get one. Are you willing to wait for 2015 for the new broadwell machines, or are you looking for something sooner?

I think based on your stated uses, any model would be a huge upgrade, though I prefer the 15" rMBP with the 16GB of ram, quad core cpu, and large display, its a win-win to me.

3. comptr thread starter macrumors 65816

Well yes I am in no hurry to get one but I have been having the computer just freeze up for no reason for a good 60 seconds so that problem alone has gotten me to think of to at least sell and upgrade. Also since the SSD is giving out I kinda got to decide weather to invest more money and get a new ssd or not as I was able to claim it on my amex as it died in time and I waiting hear back if I will get money back or not.

I could possibly wait for new broadwell machines but I wonder if I will benefit much for my needs. For sure I will get the i7 retina 15 inch laptop with the dedicated graphics card and the 500gb ssd and 16gb ram. Basically the high end base retina macbook pro 15. I am also wondering if I went with a open box matchbook pro from best buy I would probably save some bucks.

4. orestes1984 macrumors 65816

Any Core2 machine by now is going to have usability issues. You don't need to go far to upgrade though.

The 2011 MacBook Pros can be had for around $600-$800 these days and they are practically a current model with the only missing feature being the 802.11ac wifi chip.

There's not really much point in upgrading further than the classic MacBook as the CPU architecture hasn't changed and probably won't do until the middle of next year. The only real world benefit of the newest machines is the 900mb/s SSDs which is nice, but you also pay for it with everything soldered on board.

5. comptr thread starter macrumors 65816

Yup True. In my area it seems that 2009 macbook pros sell for $600 as we have these third party apple stores that sell used macs and they sell them for closer to 750.00 so all of the posts i have seen on craiglist have prices of 600.00. So I hope to be able to get around that price as I will also throw in some extra portable HD's I got too.

6. Gav Mack, Oct 15, 2014
    Last edited: Oct 15, 2014

Gav Mack macrumors 68020

Gav Mack

For the general user a C2D CPU Mac with SSD and 8Gb ram is perfectly fine. However the OP uses Lightroom and FCP and for that it's certainly too old. I would probably also agree about a 2011, I will keep my 17 inch model for years to come, but the caveat of the AMD GPU possibly failing like many are right now I would check the idle temps of the CPU and GPU before buying as most will at least need a polish and re-paste to improve the thermals. I do that on every single used Mac never mind just a 2011 but these Sandy Bridge AMD types are by far the hottest running Intel Macintosh notebook of all.

The 2012 15" with Ivy Bridge CPU and Nvidia GPU is probably a better bet if they want to avoid any future issues..

7. orestes1984 macrumors 65816

I had a 2008 model Unibody MacBook with a Core2 CPU and the faster Geforce320m GPU, it was decidedly dated about 3 years ago when I got rid of it.

If you open up a browser suck as Firefox with 10 tabs and then try to do something else, say in World you will cause the CPU to be overloaded and you will notice the slow down you just don't get with a Core i5 or Core i7 MacBook.

For basic web browsing and some work sure, but I wouldn't rely on a 2009 model MacBook as my only machine now particularly if you want to do video of photo editing or any sort of rendering. They're simply too old.

8. Gav Mack macrumors 68020

Gav Mack

I would be surprised if that was with an SSD and more than 4Gb of ram. I have plenty out there in the field working fine as long as it's got the SSD instead of a spinner.

Though I have more than one Mac and my old Mac Pro 3,1, not my MBP late 2011 is my primary work beastie.

9. orestes1984 macrumors 65816

it had 8GB of RAM, but not an SSD but a Seagate 7200rpm hybrid drive. SSDs were far to expensive until about a year ago when cheaper NAND chips came onto the market. It really was far too slow for my uses by 2011.

10. Gav Mack macrumors 68020

Gav Mack

I know the drives well, they work ok but for the past year or so I've done SSD only. In the OP's case with his SSD failing I would just replace it with a cheap 128Gb MX100 for resale. Though the Genius will do their usual third party blame game when activating trim using Trim Enabler again will fix many SSD problems, allowing the OS to manage the drive as most users do not realise you have to keep switching it back on after every point OS X upgrade.

11. comptr thread starter macrumors 65816

How much more could i sell the computer for with a ssd ?

----------

I also got a question how much of a good deal can you get at a Best buy for a Open-Box Macbook pro ?

12. kfmfe04 macrumors member

If you had an ssd, you wouldn't need to sell the computer.

I have a 13" 2009 that still works great with 8GB and an SSD.

A few weeks ago, I bought a new 15" rmbp and although it is decidedly better than the old machine, it really isn't THAT much quicker than the 2009 for most tasks. With the higher resolution, it feels more like a desktop replacement.

I still love my 2009 13" mbp though - I will keep it at a second location so I don't need to move laptops as often.

13. Gav Mack macrumors 68020

Gav Mack

Over the pond to be honest I've no idea, I would check eBay USA for your particular model with ssd in the keyword and the completed sale and sold item check boxes selected.

I would sell that over here in London for equal the premium paid for the 70 bucks for the mx100 ssd. A far more desirable Macintosh that boots in 25 seconds!

14. comptr thread starter macrumors 65816

Well like I said originally I have a SSD but its failing but even with a SSD for what I use the computer for pro apps it is slow and freezes up a lot.

----------

well from looking on craiglist I can see that the average selling price of a 2009 macbook pro is around 600.00 but right now there are a lot for sale which is why I am thinking to sell to a service like mac of all trades. I usually don't use ebay because of I have had problems with pay-pal and when you sell on ebay you don't get the full amount.

15. Gav Mack macrumors 68020

Gav Mack

OP uses FCP and Lightroom and already has an ssd in it so it's very borderline especially if he works with raw files. Lightroom is a single core beast a 2011 on with its turbo boost will do the job.

16. comptr thread starter macrumors 65816

Yes I do work with Raw files. As I only shoot raw.

17. Gav Mack macrumors 68020

Gav Mack

I meant to just use eBay for an accurate guide. To stand out I would stick the new drive in and could easily get near that 600 buck figure over here in London.

Don't be surprised if the trade in company offers you a joke of a price for it, they kick sellers deep between with legs wherever you are in the world cos they think you are desperate to sell it!

18. comptr thread starter macrumors 65816

well I did their quick quote and it told me 410.00 but could possibly go up.

19. Gav Mack macrumors 68020

Gav Mack

You use FCPX and compressor and export in prores 1080p or more?

----------

Or down when they nit pick at every minor issue with it when they see it! Can you tell I've walked out of a few places like that before? :D

20. comptr thread starter macrumors 65816

No I meant it light room I work with raw files. In fcx I am only working with avchd but I am looking to move to 4k.

----------

well I will take their formal trade in offer where I desirable in detail the condition of the computer as its in good condition and the only cosmetic issues are the bottom is slightly scratched up and the apple marking on the bottom are almost gone.

----------

I went on ebay and the prices varied from 500.00 to 800.00 for the same computer with no ssd. So around 600.00 with no ssd is not bad plus I will find out if am getting a refund on my dyeing ssd from my cc card company.

21. Gav Mack macrumors 68020

Gav Mack

I know that don't worry - just quick firing questions. A full frame slr with huge files I presume.

16gb ram and a 2011 on with ssd for you I'd say if you are moving to 4k.

Though even with my 2011 maxed out I would still do that kind of work on my beloved old cheese-grater Mac Pro 3,1. The old beast still shows my notebook a clean pair of heels with its horsepower, twice the ram. upgrades and gtx 680 card. I will only get rid of it when a used 5,1 twin socket Xeon cheese-grater crosses my path!

22. comptr thread starter macrumors 65816

So has anyone here bought a Open Box macbook pro Best Buy and what kind of deals have you seen or what percentage has the manager discounted them because when I when to best buy they told me its possible to get more off of the open box price. As they have one macbook pro I want but it has big scratch on the lid and has no box so I passed on it but if one comes up in better condition what should I ask for in price ?

23. Gav Mack macrumors 68020

Gav Mack

In your shoes I would stick the ssd in and list it at 650 on Craigslist, mention the fast boot and performance running Mavericks and it will sell easily unlike the others.

I like to buy low and sell high with apple :D

24. comptr thread starter macrumors 65816

well I got the ssd in there that is dyeing in there right now but if I get the refund I guess I could get a new crucial M500 SSD as its only 65.00 because if I get the refund I will get 160.00 back. So really I could sell for 550.00 and still be good as I am getting a refund for the SSD that I originally bought.

25. Gav Mack macrumors 68020

Gav Mack

Which drive do you own that's busted exactly? 65 for one of them is pretty cheap, even less than over here as usual but sometimes the m500's need a firmware update done by boot cd to work properly with mbp's. 03 revision is the one that works good. The crucial mx100 needs no upgrade they just work