Tips and Tricks. iMovie for iPhone. Post em here

Discussion in 'iOS Apps' started by danpass, Jun 24, 2010.

1. danpass macrumors 68020

danpass

I've been messing with it and generally speaking its worth it.

Tips and Tricks Video

A video I did: Miami Beach from the iPhone 4

What I've found so far:

Concerning titles in themes: Choosing "middle" will make it small.

The headset microphone, when plugged in, will override the bottom microphone. This will allow a person to narrate without getting hit with external noise.

I suspect any mike with the right plug will work.

Can't place a picture into a clip .............. only between clips. Frustrating. You press and hold the pic, move it into the timeline of the clip and presto ... its back at one end of the clip.

If you want to place a picture within a clip you have to shorten the clip, insert the picture, then reimport the clip on the other side (and shorten accordingly).

Did I mention how frustrating that is?

Does Apple take recommendations for future updates/changes to their apps?

One thing to note: You can preview your video.

Some of you say "Duh" and rightly so. I only mention it because ReelDirector (on iPad anyway) does NOT let you preview! You have render the file to watch it. Every change requires a render to 'preview'.

To upload full 720P video to Youtube:

Window users:
    plug in iPhone thru USB. Wait for computer to recognize iPhone. Double click on the iPhone, then the DCIM folder and all the way into the photo folder and copy your exported movie to the desktop.
    Upload to youtube using their upload function

Mac users:
    use iPhoto to import your movie to the desktop.

My video above was 1min 54 seconds and was 147mb

Alright, let's hear em before this goes to the Wasteland ......................................... I mean the 'iPhone and iPod Touch Apps' forum that's off somewhere else in MacRumors :D

edit to add: link to app: http://itunes.apple.com/us/app/imovie/id377298193?mt=8

edit 2 from pg 2:

edit 3, pg 2:

2. danpass thread starter macrumors 68020

danpass

I'm not the only one messing with it ..... right?

3. lidomkj macrumors regular

Wirelessly posted (Mozilla/5.0 (iPhone; U; CPU iPhone OS 4_0 like Mac OS X; en-us) AppleWebKit/532.9 (KHTML, like Gecko) Version/4.0.5 Mobile/8A293 Safari/6531.22.7)

I searched the app store and can't find it. Got my iPhone 4 today.

4. chakraj macrumors 65816

chakraj

ya where did you get it? from iphone or from your computer?

5. xtend macrumors regular

me not just yet.. first white iphone 4, then iMovie, then tips & tricks thread ;)

6. danpass thread starter macrumors 68020

danpass

7. burnside macrumors 6502

I have it. They need to allow you to split a video up instead of dragging those placeholders. Frustrating!

8. evomo macrumors newbie

As of right now the only way to get the app is through your computer

9. saccento macrumors 6502a

saccento

i bought it last night, but haven't really played with it yet.

10. highertechnology macrumors 6502a

This is incorrect, the app for some reason is not accessible through search, although it is the 3rd top paid app.

11. CoreyMac macrumors regular

Disappointed that the photos you place in the clips you cant edit with a text title etc only the video clips

12. burnside macrumors 6502

Totally agree. Also, I haven't found a way to limit the amount of time text is displayed on a video clip. It seems like it stays on the video clip the entire time.

13. CoreyMac macrumors regular

a fix for that might be to just cut the video in half and let it continue with no transition from the text part to the other half

14. wingnut8 macrumors 65816

wingnut8

How do you upload in 720p? I export to my camera roll and then up to youtube and its' not 720.

15. burnside macrumors 6502

I just opened up the DCIM folder from my PC and uploaded the file to my desktop. From there you have the raw file and can do a manual upload to youtube for vimeo.

16. burnside macrumors 6502

That's what sucks. You can really cut the video in half! You have to load the same clip twice then use the place holders and drag them to the length of the video you want. The timeline, even in landscape mode, only shows 2-3 seconds, so imagine dragging place holders for a 3 minute clip!

17. CoreyMac macrumors regular

Yeah bummer. Oh well, its mostly serviceable for now. There will be updates for it no doubt. Still well worth the $5 for now

18. LoganT macrumors 68020

The fact that you can't split a video, makes it kind of useless for me. Especially when you just want to take one large clip and edit it from there.

19. burnside macrumors 6502

Amen! That's what I'm so used to. I looked at the demo video from the keynote and wondered how they did it. After looking at it, I think they literally took 10 videos no longer than 20 seconds each then pieced them together. Come on now, when trying to capture a cool moment with an animal or a baby, it might take a few minutes of video to get that great moment. No way is it easy to edit to that moment with iMovie on the iPhone.

20. tekchic macrumors 65816

tekchic

I was impressed with what I could do in less than five minutes of "tinkering". I did have to go to the support page to figure some things out though, like titling clips, etc.

Here's a link to the iMovie for iPhone support page - it answered a lot of little questions I had last night. http://support.apple.com/kb/HT4174?viewlocale=en_US

21. tekchic macrumors 65816

tekchic

Um, can't you trim a clip by using the handles?

With iMovie for iPhone 4 you can delete, move, and trim clips.

• To delete a clip, press and hold a clip then drag the clip out of the timeline
    • To move a clip, press and hold a clip then drag the clip to the desired location in the timeline
    • To trim a clip, tap the clip once to reveal the trim "handles," then tap and drag a trim handle to trim the clip
    [​IMG]

22. burnside macrumors 6502

You can trim it. Now try trimming a 3 minute clip down to 20 seconds with those handles. Your fingers will get blisters when you're finally done dragging. That picture you are showing is only displaying about a 2 second clip!

23. tekchic macrumors 65816

tekchic

I guess "trimming" isn't the same as splitting, either is it? What happens to the "stuff" around where you trimmed -- does it get deleted I wonder?

I have a whopping 5 minutes of fiddling with a 45 second clip so far for experience, so I'm by no means an expert :eek:

24. CoreyMac macrumors regular

Doesnt it tell you at the top how long your clip is by tenths of a second when u drag those bars?

25. burnside macrumors 6502

I hear ya. I think when you trim it tells iMovie to only show the video from two points in the timeline. Then when you export the video, it will do all the cutting off of the clips.