Tips/facts needed to justify changing to mac

Discussion in 'Buying Tips and Advice' started by Kristalghost, Jun 24, 2009.

1. Kristalghost macrumors member

Well I'm a student and I'm following IT.
    I'm a long time PC user but as I'm following IT I get a deeper look in OS'es ,and have other needs then I used to, so I want to change to mac.
    I bought my last laptop last year and it costed about 1200€ and now I want to buy a 15 inch MBP that costs 2000€ (standard 2.88GHz).
    Now I am looking for good reason's and facts to buy a mac so I can justify the change to my parents.
    Personally I'm completely convinced but I haven't got the faintest idea what to tell my parents as they only see a laptop that's almost double the price , not much better and it would be my next laptop with only a year in between. (they expected 3 years out of this one)
    My school also doesn't use mac's but with bootcamp and parrallels I don't really care but another point I can't use to convince my parents.

Can anybody give me some good pointers to convince my parents to change to mac and justify the extra cost?
    Any advice is welcome.
    Please mention if you're a parent or from the IT branch or something alike as my parents will give it more credit then.
    The more advice I get, the bigger the change I get to change over to mac :D so do you're best people!

thanks in advance!

2. mattyb240 macrumors 6502a

http://mroogle.*************/

SEARCH!

Have you looked at Apple.com for all of their reasons?

Have you tried jus a normal google for a million odd results. I don't mean to bite your head off but its annoying hearing "help me convince my parents" or "which macbook should I buy just to use safari?" or "I thought my question was unique to my situation, I didn't think a thousand people had asked this before?"

Sorry dude

3. miles01110 macrumors Core

miles01110

If you're getting "a deeper look into OSs" then the advantages of a unix-based system should be readily apparent.

4. Sky Blue Guest

Sky Blue

Why not wait until you need a new laptop and buy a Mac then, or get a job and buy a Mac with your savings.

5. Kristalghost thread starter macrumors member

I hate this kind of BS

have you ever stopped to think that some people don't believe all the advertisements that can be found on the internet.
    If I were to believe every thing I read mac would be absolutely perfect from mac's point and pure garbage from windows point.
    Further more there is something called "A POINT OF VIEW" and is something that can't be found on apple.com
    In case you didn't notice parent's don't care for the new openCL or Grand Central Dispatch as they never had a computer for more than half there life and don't understand even half of what it does.
    I am interested in al that stuff like 3 or 6 b cache or 5400rpm and 7200rpm hard drives and benchmarks because I know what they mean!
    and yes I've been browsing this forum a while now but I haven't found any other post even remotely near to this one.
    So yes there are allot of good reason why I should buy a mac on the internet but I'm looking for the reasons why parents would want there children to have a mac.
    And parents tend to forget or even not listen to long lists of items so I need just a couple of reasons that are important to parents to change to a mac.

And finally if you're not going to be helpful then DON'T ANSWER.
    Its a forum for something and that is to help people and ask help from other people who, more than often, have more EXPERIENCE or KNOWLEDGE than the OP and that's why they ask.

6. TJRiver macrumors 6502

TJRiver

You need the simple list of reasons to convince mommy and daddy to buy you a mac? Get a job, wait till you can afford the mac and buy it yourself.

If your parents don't believe the info on the Apple site, what the H#$$ makes you think they are going to believe what people post on a painfully pro-Apple website? The best way to convince mommy and daddy is to let them try out a mac for a few days..... It just works.

7. Guy Incognito macrumors regular

You haven't told us what you need the machine for. Do you need a $2000 machine? Maybe, maybe not, but we certainly can't help you without knowing what you intend to do with it.

Btw, there are hundreds of threads like this on this forum.

8. iknowyourider macrumors 6502a

iknowyourider

Good point. You probably don't need a Mac. They are definitely less trouble though. Thats why I bought my son one and he wanted it and he was going to buy one anyway and he's a musician (garage band). Check out the search engine in my sig (bookmark it).

9. seb-opp macrumors 6502

Show them how a mac helps with your education. I got my macbook when I was 16 and I found a use for it in every subject, from writing essays, composing music, editing images etc. Now I study history at university so while I still make use of loads of software for my own leisure, I do find iWork really useful; Numbers is perfect for managing my budget while the built in dictionary and almost system wide spelling correction (will be fully system wide in SL) is indispensable for writing essays. Plus the Anti-Aliased fonts in OS X are much nicer to look at than fonts in windows.

10. mattyb240 macrumors 6502a

So why would your parents care or be interested in any hard drive speeds or cache? I understand why people come here to ask questions, I ask plenty myself. What you must understand is that everyone is different and has different views like it makes their work flow easier etc etc.

To point out the quote in bold..You have come to a Mac forum on the internet?! All I was trying to say was if you used the link I had given you, you would see its been discussed many times before, and all over the internet. Because to be honest if all your parents see is a working computer, that has nothing wrong with it, then why would they fork out 2000 euro for a new one because you want something new to explore? Thats life I'm afraid.

The reasons people will give you here will be from there personal experience but will mostly because of their personal circumstances, the easiest and most obvious reasons are on Apple.com and that is mostly what you will get here.

http://www.google.com/custom?hl=en&...G=Search&cx=011016119145480959114:kuv1aq0hily

http://www.google.com/custom?hl=en&...G=Search&cx=011016119145480959114:kuv1aq0hily

Hope this helps :apple:

11. Kristalghost thread starter macrumors member

Programming, a bit of amateur graphical designing (for websites etc) and the occasional high end game are the primary needs.
    but as to the "Do I need the €2000 machine" well yes as I'm only planning to keep the laptop for around 3 years and I only plan to change now for the OS.
    I also tend to run allot of processes that max out my proccessor or nearly max it out (video and audio rencoding, program recoding, etc...)

as for the "hundreds of threads" I haven't looked at all the different forums and I'm fairly new to the forum and haven't seen any but you are all welcome to post them here.

BTW thank you for being civil

that's an interesting one, thanks!

12. miles01110 macrumors Core

miles01110

Um, that's just further evidence that you haven't done any searching of your own. There are plenty of Apple fans and critics here alike.

mroogle.

Here are a few, since you're essentially just asking why OS X is "better" than Windows, something you should know if you are "in IT," which I doubt:
    http://forums.macrumors.com/archive/index.php/t-675561.html
    http://forums.macrumors.com/showthread.php?t=717845
    http://forums.macrumors.com/showthread.php?t=729543
    http://forums.macrumors.com/showthread.php?t=597038
    http://forums.macrumors.com/showthread.php?t=630414

The first step to getting help is helping yourself. Also, you don't have any more right to tell people what to post and what not to post any more than we do.

13. Kristalghost thread starter macrumors member

thank you I'm browsing thro them right now.

and for those among you who are out raged at my post:
    I apologise that I am new, dind't know of the rmoogle site (first time seeing link) and that I posted the O so offensive post.
    You should remark that if this is such a bother, why not make a sticky or a guide from it?
    then all the troubles are gone and everybody is happy.

I thank everybody who was helpful (not to many sadly enough) and will be happily browsing thro the given links

14. backmoo pro macrumors newbie

I really think the important matter here is not which OS is better but 'is it worth the amount of money'?

If you do this you'll be out the money for the MBP, and you'll basically have rented a Windows laptop for a year for € 600.

That totals € 2700. Or you could leave as is and be out € 1200.

€ 1500 is a lot of money and I really think you should be thinking whether your parents have a better use for this money. Also, think about how you would feel if you'd given someone a € 1200 machine and they were fed up with it after a year.

15. MikeDTyke macrumors 6502a

Forums tend to bring out the worst in some people. You need to get a thicker skin.

Back to your original question. There`s very little your computer illiterate parents will understand. They will see 2 boxes, one more expensive than the other.

It would also help to know what course you intend to study and what you are hoping to get out of it.

It`s been mentioned already, but the fact that it`s a unix box, that can easily and reliably emulate via bootcamp or a virtual machine pretty much any OS/config you could want to experiment with/investigate.

I currently have a macpro that has 4 VM`s which i use for software development, hosting, honeypot and testing. These are windows/linux and solaris VM`s so i get the opportunity to work with the best tool for the job.

Could i do this with a standard PC, sure, but it`s the implementation of VMWare Fusion (mac only version) and the UI of MacOS (expose/spaces/terminal) that makes it far more productive for me.

I hope you find a similar reason to love this platform, because once you get used to it, everything else is pig slow.

Regards
    M.

16. Kristalghost thread starter macrumors member

I would sell my first laptop to my brother who is going in to college and doesn't has allot of money so id get back alot of the money

those are very good reason's didn't think of it that way thanks!

17. backmoo pro macrumors newbie

My calculations include the € 600 or so euro's a year old € 1200 laptop should get you.

18. Eclipseon macrumors newbie

Okay, you so sound like me before I graduated high school and had my mind set on having an Apple Macbook Pro. How weird is that? :p Welp, I will say this much: it wasn't as if my desire for this awesome piece of machinery sparked a fire inside my chest just yesterday. I began research on this computer for close to two years because I didn't quite understand the major differences between it and PC. Initially, my research started out on the Apple site yet it didn't take long before I decided to go further and check out reviews from various sites, which, in the end, helped me out a lot! And plus, when you don't have the money at the time, pictures on the internet of the MBP are as close as you're ever gonna get!

I'm sorry that some of the answers you received were not at all what you wanted to hear, but do try to keep in mind that a computer does require that you do tons of prerequisite research. After all, it will be something that will stick with you for years to come ^_~ Previously I thought that I was enough of a computer-whiz to not have to skim through reviews, but looking back, I see that they have helped me understand my computer a bit more. So try not to feel so frustrated when people tell you that you have to read up on the computer before you decide to buy.

All I can say, is that information is your friend and it was the exact method of persuasion that I used on my parents so that they finally decided to take that giant leap and get me the computer. And believe me, although they are pretty skillful with computers, it was no easy feat.

19. fehhkk macrumors 6502a

fehhkk

Sell your old laptop first, and then use part of that money for the new one.

You already seem to have a pretty decent PC laptop. What is it that you cannot do with the Windows based laptop, that you can do with the Mac?

20. alfmil, Jun 24, 2009
    Last edited: Feb 29, 2016

alfmil macrumors regular

OP: "...and yes I've been browsing this forum a while now but I haven't found any other post even remotely near to this one."

"...as for the "hundreds of threads" I haven't looked at all the different forums and I'm fairly new to the forum..."

21. twixx007 macrumors newbie

twixx007

I was just curious as to why you haven't answered the question about you getting a job and buying it yourself? I had 2 jobs (over 30 hours combined) in college and went to school full time. I majored in computer information science and we studied OS as well. So my schooling wasn't easy. Care to share?:confused:

22. Scepticalscribe Contributor

Scepticalscribe

On the issue of money, and the premium price charged for Apple's products, (especially when contrasted with the price of some of the Windows alternatives) I'd strongly recommend that you try refurb; that way, you will save yourself a considerable sum and still get a computer that is, in essence, a brand new computer.

Cheers and good luck

23. Kristalghost thread starter macrumors member

where can I buy these refurb laptops? I live in belguim.

and for those who mock me with work for it.
    I have the money but my parents have to agree with big purchases otherwise they wont stop jabbering about it for atleast a month or 2

24. mattyb240 macrumors 6502a

I understand your parents have your best interest at heart, but at the end of the day, your money, your decision thats what I tell my parents when I purchase something big, I worked for it and I will spend it how I see fit (with in reason of course).

As for re-furbished in the bottom right hand corner of the apple page there is a section of "clearance" or "refurbished" macs, ipods etc. Have a search for the details of refurbs, but essentially its a brand new mac in a brown box.