Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

nefan65

macrumors 65816
Apr 15, 2009
I have 20 years in IT, and made the switch to Mac a little over a year ago. They're reliable, easy to use, and have almost everything you need out of the box. I run VM Fusion for the times I need Windows, or Linux. But usually I can RDP or VNC to remote systems as needed.

Oh, and I support 30 plus servers/Windows AD/Exchange/SQL, remote sites via MPLS, Cisco Switches, Routers, and Firewalls, and an IP PBX for 500 + users from my Refurbed, white MB C2D. I only mention that, because some IT professionals will say it's no good in a Windows ENV, etc., and that's total BS...

Go for it, and good luck!

jointsmoking

macrumors regular
May 21, 2009
Well I'm a student and I'm following IT.
I'm a long time PC user but as I'm following IT I get a deeper look in OS'es ,and have other needs then I used to, so I want to change to mac.
I bought my last laptop last year and it costed about 1200€ and now I want to buy a 15 inch MBP that costs 2000€ (standard 2.88GHz).
Now I am looking for good reason's and facts to buy a mac so I can justify the change to my parents.
Personally I'm completely convinced but I haven't got the faintest idea what to tell my parents as they only see a laptop that's almost double the price , not much better and it would be my next laptop with only a year in between. (they expected 3 years out of this one)
My school also doesn't use mac's but with bootcamp and parrallels I don't really care but another point I can't use to convince my parents.

Can anybody give me some good pointers to convince my parents to change to mac and justify the extra cost?
Any advice is welcome.
Please mention if you're a parent or from the IT branch or something alike as my parents will give it more credit then.
The more advice I get, the bigger the change I get to change over to mac :D so do you're best people!

thanks in advance!

If you need tips or hints to "justify" a purchase, maybe you don't need it. Only you can justify your purchase. I can tell you all the reasons Macs work for me, but you'll have to learn for yourself.

Scepticalscribe

macrumors Ivy Bridge
Jul 29, 2008
In a coffee shop.
where can I buy these refurb laptops? I live in belguim.

and for those who mock me with work for it.
I have the money but my parents have to agree with big purchases otherwise they wont stop jabbering about it for atleast a month or 2

Refurbs are usually advertised/posted on Apple's website and tend to sell quite quickly. Generally, they are models that are a few months old, or have just been replaced and have just been superseded by a more recent model and Apple uses this as a means of clearing out old stock. Sometimes, they are new models which have been returned and have been repaired. The consumer wins because the computer has been individually tested and the price reduction is usually considerable.

Cheers and good luck

backmoo pro

macrumors newbie
Jun 14, 2009
Netherlands
I have the money but my parents have to agree with big purchases otherwise they wont stop jabbering about it for atleast a month or 2

Ah, well that changes the situation for me. If your parents are just concerned about you spending the amount of money, why don't you ask their help in picking one out? I can understand that the Apple premium gives your parents the idea you'd just be blowing your money on a 'toy'.

Tell them you've got your heart set on a MBP but let them advise you on which type. This can sometimes even be refreshing as they'll have your best interest at heart and will advise you accordingly.

Again, make sure you're comfortable with spending that amount of money when you have a relatively new laptop already!

Good luck!

Thiemo

macrumors member
Aug 17, 2008
Dude! You don't need a new laptop. You need a new dictionary! I'm sure your parents will be more than happy to buy you one!

Kristalghost

macrumors member
Original poster
Jun 10, 2009
Dude! You don't need a new laptop. You need a new dictionary! I'm sure your parents will be more than happy to buy you one!

wtf, a dictionary? why might I ask? can you please enlighten me on what you are referring?
and I personally think for a person who knows 2 languages fluently and 1 good enough that I am doing pretty damn well.
I dare bet you probably don't know as many.

and who are you to judge who can buy a new laptop and when?
None of my 4 classic MBPs showed signs of wear after 6 months. Can't tell anything about longer periods of use as I sold them after 6 months of use. But until then, they looked like new.

Thiemo

macrumors member
Aug 17, 2008
and who are you to judge who can buy a new laptop and when?

Well, you asked us to! You just aren't getting the verdict you wanted. But then, you don't really need our judgement. You know darn well that you don't really need this computer, you just want a new toy to tinker with. In one year, you'll be bored with your Mac as you are now with your decent laptop. No doubt about that.

Yeah, I love new gadgets too, but I don't have to justify the expenses to anybody but me.

If it's truly your own well-earned money you're going to spend, please accept my apologies. But then you'll have to have a serious talk with your parents about personal responsibility! You pay your money – you take your choice.

emilyland1326

macrumors newbie
Jun 23, 2009
and for those who mock me with work for it.

If the problem is your parents jabbering about it for a few months, I say just weather the storm. You've already decided after all...

NoSmokingBandit

macrumors 68000
Apr 13, 2008
If you are into learning all about OS X, try running osx86 on your current laptop. Even if it doesnt work too well you will quickly learn how osx works.
If it doesnt work, buy a mac, if it does work you can save some cash.

windywoo

macrumors 6502a
May 24, 2009

And you need to think before posting. Look at his name, look at the fact that he's posting about prices in Euro and then have a wild guess that this isn't his first language he's posting in.

How many languages do you speak?

clyde2801

macrumors 601
And you need to think before posting. Look at his name, look at the fact that he's posting about prices in Euro and then have a wild guess that this isn't his first language he's posting in.

I speak rudimentary English, and advanced Okie. :D

A good argument would be the ability to program, and gain experience in, all three major consumer OS's: windows, mac and linux.

Another would be that macs tend to hold their value and usefulness longer than most windows boxes. Contrary to the plethora of 'OMG, should I sell my unibody MB and buy a 13" MBP?' threads, many people are happily using macs in excess of three years old.

Welcome to the site. And do try to use the MR search function. I say this not be condescending (other members on the boards have that covered), but you can find a wealth of information at once rather than waiting for results to trickle in. And, to be honest, it becomes a bit of drudgery to answer the same questions over and over on a daily basis.

Animeonmymind

macrumors newbie
Mar 8, 2009
Belgium

I'm guessing the same as I :p primary Dutch and English and secondary French :) Next year I've got German as well.

Thiemo

macrumors member
Aug 17, 2008
His first couple of posts were just a pita to read. My reference to the dictionary was because of his carelessness to do better orthographically (should pose no challenge for him as his english is fine).

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.