Tips for a new Windows 7 user

Discussion in 'Community Discussion' started by dukebound85, Mar 7, 2012.

1. dukebound85 macrumors P6

dukebound85

So I just sold my 2009 mb today. I am waiting to buy a mac when the new minis/mbps get released or maybe just try my hand on 7 for a while on my current desktop.

Anyways, what are some tips? Anythings I can do to keep it clean in terms of registry or just performance in general? I must admit I have never used windows much extensively and NEVER as a home computer so this is quite new to me (already missing my mac)

2. Huntn macrumors G5

Huntn

For Windows7 if you don't want to use the Windows built utilities such as the hard drive defragger and such:

*Download Tuneup Utilities for a free trial. It's pretty wonderful what it automatically handles for you, suggestions to improve system performance (and it does them for you), turbo mode for playing games, cleans the registry in a snap, manages startup programs, etc.
    *Use the Windows Firewall.
    *Install Microsoft Essentials- their free anti-virus program.

3. Hastings101 macrumors 68000

Hastings101

Windows does pretty much all the housekeeping automatically now. Even defragging is done automatically when your computer idles. The only thing you really need is an anti-virus (Microsoft Security Essentials is a good one) and to make sure your firewall is enabled. You might also want a registry cleaner to use every once in a while if you install/uninstall a lot of programs (CCleaner is a good one).

4. Delighted macrumors 6502

Delighted

Wirelessly posted (Mozilla/5.0 (iPod; U; CPU iPhone OS 4_2_1 like Mac OS X; en-us) AppleWebKit/533.17.9 (KHTML, like Gecko) Version/5.0.2 Mobile/8C148 Safari/6533.18.5)

there's not much windows cant do that mac can't do. I say the best advice anyone can give a windows user is to download a lot of antivirus apps and other security to keep the os safe.

5. 7thMac macrumors 6502

No need to download multiple antivirus programs. Security Essentials comes with Windows 7 and is all you need. Take normal precautions about the web sites you visit and you should be fine.

6. chrono1081 macrumors 604

chrono1081

+1 for security essentials. Its free and one of the best. Do NOT EVER install Norton/Symantec whatever you do. Ever...never ever...

Also with Windows don't install a lot of add on browser tool bars. If I had to guess I'd say about 70% of the tickets I get at work for "computers acting weird" are from browser add-ons. I remove them all before doing anything else.

7. dukebound85 thread starter macrumors P6

dukebound85

Yea I have noticed that. Annoying and I find myself having to get rid of them

Another questions, Is there an easier way to view applications vs that single column?

8. yg17 macrumors G5

yg17

I've been using Windows 7 for nearly 2 years on my PC and not once have I ever had to reinstall it, clean out the registry, do any other type of maintenance, and it works as great today as it did when I first installed it. The only AV program I have is Microsoft Security Essentials, which is their free antivirus/anti spyware, and it seems to be doing a good job. It runs in the background, automatically updates, and I don't even know it's there.

Older versions of Windows might have required some upkeep, but 7 does not.

9. smithrh macrumors 68020

smithrh

<cough> MIGHT have? </cough> :rolleyes:

Yes, Win 7 is actually pretty nice, but let's not whitewash history here...

10. Ishmumrhmn macrumors regular

IMO windows is superior to Mac

If you are new to Windows, get an antivirus program and CCleaner is a must as it cleans the registry, better uninstalls things and more

Defrag the hdd ONCE in 2 months
    I personally prefer Auslogics disk defrag, its fast & works great

Only install important updates, as installing too many will slow down

11. chrono1081 macrumors 604

chrono1081

Not that I am aware of. Windows is kind of messy like that. There may be a way, but I've never seen it on a computer or referenced in any Microsoft documentation.

You *could* make a shortcut to both your Program Files folder and your x86 Program Files folder (since both may have applications in them) but be warned of two things:

1. They won't have all the programs in them (like Accessories).
    2. You can't just click on them and run them since the executable is usually buried in the folder.

I personally don't recommend that approach but I've seen people do it.