Tips on resurrecting a "half dead" hard drive?

Discussion in 'Mac Pro' started by bierce85, May 14, 2011.

1. bierce85 macrumors newbie

Wirelessly posted (Mozilla/5.0 (iPhone; U; CPU iPhone OS 3_0 like Mac OS X; en-us) AppleWebKit/528.18 (KHTML, like Gecko) Version/4.0 Mobile/7A341 Safari/528.16)

Hey guys,

I was going through some old computer stuff yesterday and came across a WD 500 GB external FireWire drive I'd given up on a few years ago when it stopped mounting in finder. Plugged it in for the hell of it and it mounted. Only thing was that it was empty in finder and said "499 GB free" but I couldn't put anything on it. Tried reformatting it in disk utility [DU said it actually only had 130 GB free] and I got an error message saying it couldn't unmount the disk.

So I tried restarting my MacBook and it no longer showed up. Right back where I started, not mounting at all.

If anyone has any tips in how I could possibly get it going I'd appreciate it! I thought I might try booting from the install disk and opening disk utility. After that I'm stumped!

Thanks,William

2. philipma1957 macrumors 603

philipma1957

The cable or the fw jacks may be bad. If you have another cable try that. If you don't have a cable www.monoprice.com has some low cost ones.