Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

12vElectronics

macrumors 68040
Jul 19, 2013
California
I swear, Some people literally create reasons to find issues with these iPhones. Everyone I know who has the iPhone 7 Plus, has had no issues. I'm not saying it can't happen, but five iPhones? Really. I wouldn't be surprised if the OP's carrier didn't flag the account for this many exchanges.
Exactly. 5 phones all defective? C'mon, we weren't born yesterday.

I too would flag this person for abuse. They're not only wasting resources every time they initiate a return, but there are still people waiting for their Pre Orders and are being held up because of people like OP.

imagineadam

macrumors 68000
Jan 19, 2011
Nothing is perfect. Plain and simple as that. Nothing will ever be perfect.
I agree.

But what I would do for just one uniform screen one time..... seriously I'd take a JB 7 with a huge X scratched on the back for a uniform screen. Or a clicky display or loose buttons or a louder hiss,broke. FaceTime camera.... you get the idea. The screen is truly to me the most important/used part of any smartphone and it should have better QC in my opinion. When my eyes are drawn to these darker/brighter discolored, uneven areas of an LCD that is touted to represent a "perfect" image I don't see why it's so wrong not to expect it to be free from these defects that I continue to see over and over year after year.

Last edited:

calwm

macrumors member
Sep 20, 2016
Assuming defective phones are 1 in 100, let's consider the probability that you have had five defective phones in a row.

1/100 * 1/100 * 1/100 * 1/100 * 1/100.

I make that to be a one in 10 billion chance.

AndrewR23

Contributor
Jun 24, 2010
Nothing is perfect. Plain and simple as that. Nothing will ever be perfect.
+1.

@Pez555 you have a phone without the main flaws. Get a magnifying glass I bet you'll see hairline scratches. Point is there is nothing perfect in this world. Perfect means perfect. and you'll never find perfect on earth.

Mlrollin91

macrumors G5
Nov 20, 2008
Assuming defective phones are 1 in 100, let's consider the probability that you have had five defective phones in a row.

And the probability of defective devices being 1/100 is almost none existent. Probably more like 1 in 1,000-5,000.

AndrewR23

Contributor
Jun 24, 2010

lol with apples quality + MacRumors members anal retentive traits a defective phone is 1/5 here.

itsray

macrumors 6502
Jun 5, 2016
Should not be water resistant under ip67 conditions?!?!?!?
It's simple tell to the people IP67, IP67, but no warranty if water damaged..... apple lose this time.

no, the warranty still doesnt cover if your phone gets wet and the sensors trip. and it never will. i bet you're one of those people who are over anal about things. its not like you bought a brand new ferrari and there was a scratch in the paint.

Mlrollin91

macrumors G5
Nov 20, 2008
lol with apples quality + MacRumors members anal retentive traits a defective phone is 1/5 here.

Yes, but lets look at it this way. There are 890,000 MacRumors members. Apple has sold 20Million iPhone 7/7Plus. If every single MacRumors member had a defect with an iPhone 7, that would be 1:22.47 that have a defect. all 890,000 people did not purchase the phone and all that did do not have a defect. Therefore, the number is probably more likely to be 1:1000-5000 that have a defect.

timeconsumer

macrumors 68020
Aug 1, 2008
Portland
I picked up two week 37 iPhone 7's on launch weekend, both don't have any of the issues that people are posting about on these forums.

The people who keep exchanging this much are either extremely unlucky or search for problems the second they unbox the devices instead of just using them.

thadoggfather

macrumors P6
Oct 1, 2007
I picked up two week 37 iPhone 7's on launch weekend, both don't have any of the issues that people are posting about on these forums.

The people who keep exchanging this much are either extremely unlucky or search for problems the second they unbox the devices instead of just using them.

i think thats awfully dismissive, you lucked out twice

chalk it up to that,

timeconsumer

macrumors 68020
Aug 1, 2008
Portland
i think thats awfully dismissive, you lucked out twice

chalk it up to that,
There are others on this site who are reporting problem free iPhone 7's, so my comment is also factoring those into it.

I've also had problem free iPhones going all the way back to the 3G. Apple's track record for me is great. With all the problems people report I often wonder why they keep sticking with Apple?

thadoggfather

macrumors P6
Oct 1, 2007
There are others on this site who are reporting problem free iPhone 7's, so my comment is also factoring those into it.

I've also had problem free iPhones going all the way back to the 3G. Apple's track record for me is great. With all the problems people report I often wonder why they keep sticking with Apple?

you must have insanely good luck, I've had problems on multiple generations

your luck is purely anecdotal and/or lack of observation to detail (and i dont mean to be condescending, wish i could be this way too --sounds like a blessing in today's age of products pumped out 10 million miles an hour)

Pez555

macrumors 68020
Apr 18, 2010
+1.

@Pez555 you have a phone without the main flaws. Get a magnifying glass I bet you'll see hairline scratches. Point is there is nothing perfect in this world. Perfect means perfect. and you'll never find perfect on earth.

I've done that with a bright LED light on the back too, no scratches.

If you are suggesting I should worry about things that I need a magnifying glass to see then that's just stupid.

timeconsumer

macrumors 68020
Aug 1, 2008
Portland
you must have insanely good luck, I've had problems on multiple generations

your luck is purely anecdotal and/or lack of observation to detail (and i dont mean to be condescending, wish i could be this way too --sounds like a blessing in today's age of products pumped out 10 million miles an hour)
Of course it's anecdotal. I have a routine I do with my phones when I get them. I visually inspect the entire build quality of the phone, then I test for functionality of each component. I work in IT so I guess it's just a habit for me. It is plausible that my definition of passable wouldn't be sufficient for others. It is also plausible that my observations are similar to others here and I've just lucked out. Either way, I don't have a problem with those who have exchanged once or twice. But some people are reporting they've had to exchange 5+ times. Maybe my patience is less than others, but I would have bought a different product at that point.

thadoggfather

macrumors P6
Oct 1, 2007
Of course it's anecdotal. I have a routine I do with my phones when I get them. I visually inspect the entire build quality of the phone, then I test for functionality of each component. I work in IT so I guess it's just a habit for me. It is plausible that my definition of passable wouldn't be sufficient for others. It is also plausible that my observations are similar to others here and I've just lucked out. Either way, I don't have a problem with those who have exchanged once or twice. But some people are reporting they've had to exchange 5+ times. Maybe my patience is less than others, but I would have bought a different product at that point.

If only competition had a viable integrated ecosystem solution in place

Getting something that isn't an apple product breaks the integration. I think macs they have opened the door on people breaking their PC part of the iEcosystem given little choice with few ports and high prices/ potentially gimmicks.

They look nice, but you must be a diehard to really appreciate it at those prices for what it offers

rainafterthesun

macrumors 6502a
Jun 23, 2010

Getting something that isn't an apple product breaks the integration. I think macs they have opened the door on people breaking their PC part of the iEcosystem given little choice with few ports and high prices/ potentially gimmicks.

They look nice, but you must be a diehard to really appreciate it at those prices for what it offers

That's the thing.

Imho Apple isn't about giving people what the people think they want, but what they don't know they want. I remember when the iPads first came out. Oh the jokes. The laughter. The confusion as to why you'd want a giant iPhone that can't make calls.

Even then I remember telling my ex (more of a die hard apple fan then I am) that how cool would it be if those same iPads can replace laptops with presentations. If hosts or hostesses can walk around with an iPad to control the flow of dining rooms instead of the paper and pencil... obviously there are still restaurants that do it old school but look how intergrations with square has worked out.

The point is, no company does anything without forethought. Do they get it (predict) right 100% of the time? No, we're still mere morals. Does apple get it more often then not? Yes.

Even the ecosystem you speak of...for all of the advances that the competitors have made...have they ever thought of doing the building foundations that Apple has? Or make any effort to unify the system so that the mass (e.g. everyone and their mama and grandma too) can use it with ease? Set up stores to help people so they feel more comfortable forking nearly 1k for a phone?

That's the difference and some may say no big deal they never need help setting up the phone. 80% (approx) of the population would disagree with you and that's what's keeping apple afloat.

I do think they've lost some of the anal attentive details since steves passing but that's just Tim starting to blend in his style. Everyone's different and Steve was a force/presence.

Reactions: timeconsumer

timeconsumer

macrumors 68020
Aug 1, 2008
Portland

That is true. I sometimes forget that people are heavily invested into ecosystem which could completely disrupt somebody's workflow. I guess for me I deal with complex problems with computers/network equipment all day, that I prefer the simplicity of Apple products. If they lose that simplicity or require me to have to exchange/fix constantly, then I could walk away without being too intertwined in the ecosystem.

AndrewR23

Contributor
Jun 24, 2010
Lol not sure how you would think I'm assuming that. My point is there is no perfect iPhone or perfect anything in this world. iPhones are made by humans. Humans aren't perfect so they can't create something perfect. Not even robots can create perfection.
I've done that with a bright LED light on the back too, no scratches.

If you are suggesting I should worry about things that I need a magnifying glass to see then that's just stupid.

Pez555

macrumors 68020
Apr 18, 2010
Lol not sure how you would think I'm assuming that. My point is there is no perfect iPhone or perfect anything in this world. iPhones are made by humans. Humans aren't perfect so they can't create something perfect. Not even robots can create perfection.

You're taking things too literally. I'm not going to entertain the notion that to find imperfections you need to use a microscope.

Let me put it this way. My current phone has none of the issues anyone has currently discovered.

The quality of my phone is one that everyone is hoping to have.

Reactions: AndrewR23

AndrewR23

Contributor
Jun 24, 2010
You're taking things too literally. I'm not going to entertain the notion that to find imperfections you need to use a microscope.

Let me put it this way. My current phone has none of the issues anyone has currently discovered.

The quality of my phone is one that everyone is hoping to have.
Thank you.

Just wish people would stop saying " I have a perfect iPhone." All that does is makes customers mad there phone isnt perfect and has a tiny hairline scratch. Etc.

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.