Tired of immature posts

Discussion in 'Site and Forum Feedback' started by McGiord, Feb 23, 2008.

1. McGiord, Feb 23, 2008
    Last edited: Jan 30, 2011

McGiord macrumors 601

McGiord

I am tired of subscribing to a good topic in the forum and suddenly the whole thread is tainted with immature posters that instead of adding to the interesting discussion they use it like a chat room full of LOL, iToaster, my friend....cousin of..., and many personal attacks to other MR members.

Besides reporting the thread to the moderators is there another way to help the forum with good constructive discussion?
    ________
    macintosh games

2. StealthRider macrumors 65816

StealthRider

It's the Internet. You're going to have immature people, just like in real life. And, just like the "real world", you're going to have to learn to deal with them.

3. decksnap macrumors 68040

decksnap

They should make a 21+ section. I would be all for it. Hell, I'm usually drinking when I post something anyway.

4. CalBoy macrumors 604

CalBoy

As long as you report posts appropriately, stay on topic, and act in a mature fashion, I think you'll avoid a lot of the immature people out there.

Leading by example can be very effective. :)

5. Eidorian macrumors Penryn

Eidorian

I'm going to agree. Users have attempted to drag me into pointless flame wars. I just report the post if they want to make me act in an immature manner.

Let the mods sort it out and don't do it yourself.

Relevant to our interests.

6. ErikCLDR macrumors 68000

Unmature isn't a word.

Immature however is a word.
    :p

Welcome to the world of the online forum.

7. MrSmith macrumors 68040

MrSmith

With a lower age limit of 13 it's going to be immature by definition. You could stop taking it so seriously. It's just an Internet forum, after all.

8. Doctor Q Administrator

Doctor Q

Staff Member

In addition to reporting problem posts, I think it helps to (a) set a good example with your own posting style and (b) ignore rather than respond to pointless posts.

Doing (a) means putting thought into your posts, discussing the topic at hand, and contributing in a useful way to that discussion. This improves the atmosphere and leads others to follow suit.

Doing (b) serves two purposes: it avoids giving any positive reinforcement to people who make useless posts and it makes it easier for the moderators to remove those posts, since they won't have been quoted or discussed.

9. devilot Moderator emeritus

devilot

Slightly off-topic but related to this...

This also applies to spam. Please do not "bump" spammers or their threads by replying to or quoting them. Just report 'em. Thanks. :) And it really is appreciated-- whether the post is from an MRer and breaks rules/ policies, or if it's a spammer.

10. cyberjunky macrumors regular

Wouldn't work, there is no way to enforce such a concept, People would simply lie about their age.

11. Gaelic1 macrumors member

I find a great deal of immature postings. but I also find a wealth of information, posted by young people. I say leave them alone and use their information. This is a forum after all, open to anyone who shares our fascination with Apple. Weren't we all youngsters at one time? :)

12. Sun Baked macrumors G5

Sun Baked

I'm quite sure they are mature adults posting, likely they are just posting drunk and looking foolish in front of the 12 year olds.

13. G.I. Joe macrumors regular

G.I. Joe

Maybe I'm going off-topic too, but i don't want to create a thread for this (I'll let to the Moderators reasoning if they think it's worth a sugestion thread or something).

Is there an easy way to implement an ignore user button? And a report user/post button? I think this would be a quick way to filter what we don't want to see. Threads often get spammed all over and we end up not reading good posts because of all that clutter. I don't know if people spam just to show up and get recognition, reach higher forum titles or both but gets annoying.

14. Hankster macrumors 68020

Hankster

At the bottom left of each post there is a "!" inside a red triangle, that button alerts Mods of the post.

In regards to restricting boards by age, it would be ineffective. When it comes to message boards age has very little to do with maturity. :rolleyes:

15. ajx22 macrumors regular

Sure -

User CP | Control Panel (left side column) | Miscellaneous | Buddy/Ignore Lists:

http://forums.macrumors.com/profile.php?do=editlist

Add away!

:D

16. CalBoy macrumors 604

CalBoy

You can manage your buddy list and ignore list from your User CP.
    Yes, that does exist. This little guy: [​IMG].

You should report any posts that violate the forum rules.

17. G.I. Joe macrumors regular

G.I. Joe

Thanks guys. So if I got it all.

- I have a button to report a post "[​IMG]".

- No button to quick ignore a user though it can be done from CP.

- Just one more thing. What happens when I add a user to my buddy list? Do i get some sort of quick links to his/her posts/threads? Does he/her gets some sort of info that I just added him/her?

Thanks again! :)

18. ajx22 macrumors regular

FYI - at the top of the forum is = FAQ/Rules

Under that is a breakdown of most How To's -

ie. http://guides.macrumors.com/Help:Ma...find_more_information_about_forum_features.3F

Under User Maintenance:

http://forums.macrumors.com/faq.php?faq=vb_user_maintain

***Sorry - I too administrate a vB forum; and am used to pointing people to the existing answers. ;)

~ Aloha ~

19. devilot Moderator emeritus

devilot

Or through their profile page. :)

post.jpg

You can then use "Quick Links" > Open Buddly List, and quickly see who is online and who isn't, or very quickly send a buddy a PM. :)

20. G.I. Joe macrumors regular

G.I. Joe

Sorry to insist (i'm ruining the topic, maybe de moderator can delete this afterwards :eek:) but this is leading to more questions. :confused:

- I understood the buddy list thing, i see them when online, PM them, fine. But how can i track a specific user (a buddy lets say) posts ? Without having to do this, (see attachment) something like a user subscription. Otherwise i have to locate a post from that user to be able to do this.

Attached Files:

21. ReanimationLP macrumors 68030

ReanimationLP

22. Hankster macrumors 68020

Hankster

If you want to read a user's post go to their profile (listed in your buddy list) and view their posts. That's pretty simple enough :)

23. solvs macrumors 603

solvs

There is a private forum if you're a contributor. But I've had some good conversations with those under that age (the appropriate kind, don't go calling Chris Hanson on me) and some who claim to be over that age who act much less mature. And yeah, people could just lie.

Report, ignore, or do what I do and berate them until they get banned or go away. :p

24. DAC47 macrumors 6502

DAC47

actually i would say compared to most other message boards i visit this site is remarkably free of idiots/trolls.
    They only really come out to complain about the "lame" specs of new Apple products after keynotes. The rest of the time people make pretty reasonable contributions
    imho

25. annk Administrator

annk

Staff Member

And, if I remember correctly, there's no need to make a post that says "reported". Just report. :)