Titan X. Best Mac Pro Card?

Discussion in 'Mac Pro' started by Executor, Mar 4, 2015.

1. Executor macrumors member

Just as I was about to pull the trigger on GTX 980s for my Mac Pro 5.1 I found this:
    http://www.engadget.com/2015/03/04/nvidia-titan-x/

Details are sketchy but it may very well become the best card for the classic Mac Pro. I am hoping that Macvidcards will make an EFI version.

2. netkas macrumors 65816

Great card, but probably needs 8-pin + 6-pin power cables

3. flehman macrumors regular

flehman

Read the comments on the story. It didn't take long for someone to ask if the card only has 10.5 gigs of RAM. Drama llama!

4. fuchsdh macrumors 6502a

I don't see the point of the Titan considering the cost/performance ratio is ridiculously poor (assuming it's priced like the Titan Z before it.)

Better off probably getting two 980s and SLI them.

5. Executor, Mar 4, 2015
    Last edited: Mar 4, 2015

Executor thread starter macrumors member

It has been confirmed. The card requires an 8 Pin and a 6 pin power cables. I currently have the regular Titan running in such a configuration on internal power with no problems for over a year (using the optical drive SATA power and the HDD bays to supplement the 6 pin) so I am confident the Titan X will be just fine since it uses the Maxwell architecture which is more power efficient. Hopefully it wont be more than $1500. If so I could keep my system for a while longer. By the way Netkas, thanks for all the work you'd done to bring more EFI ready cards to the Mac Platform. Truly appreciated.

6. flehman macrumors regular

flehman

There are all kinds of places where one can scavenge power (optical drive, drive bays, etc.) such that the card could be run internally. To crib from Spock (been on my mind lately) it will require a feat of wiring ledgerdemain and a degree of intrepidity.

7. Surrat, Mar 5, 2015
    Last edited: Mar 5, 2015

Surrat macrumors 6502

Surrat

If that Titan X only has a 6 and 8 pin cable, even if it pulls max from them, it could be safely run in the mac pro. Just use a 2x 6pin(75watt each) to 1x 8pin(150watt) combine cable for the 8, and run 2x sata hard disk power(55watt each) to 1x 6pin(75watt) for the 6. Problem solved and card fully powered with no overloads anywhere.

Need one of these:
    http://www.ebay.co.uk/itm/Akasa-SATA-Power-to-6pin-PCIe-Adapter-Cable-/381079601344

And one of these:
    http://www.ebay.co.uk/itm/GENUINE-E...ARD-POWER-CABLE-ORIGINAL-ONE-19-/321672328779

Hm, I cant find any source for a way to do this conversion with only two cables total. One being two mac mini-6-pin to 8-pin pcie, and a two sata to 6-pin pcie thats long enough to reach the card. Would be nice to be able to do it neat and tidy, without five cables plugged into each other.

8. dmylrea macrumors 68000

dmylrea

What does one do with a 12GB card in a Mac Pro? Is this card an example of diminishing returns, considering the probable cost?

9. netkas macrumors 65816

Not sure. When I run R9 290x (6+8 pin) in macpro3,1 with next power scheme:

6-pin from mobo to 6-pin on card

dvd-molex to 6-pin and 6-pin from mobo to Y splitter into 8-pin

it works fine in 3dmark firestrike, but compter shuts down in firestrike extreme

I have to limit power consumption to 83% of tdp in catalyst control center to prevent the crash.

But then it still may crash in ac unity in map menu (when you see whole cityon a map, after pressing tab).

Ah well, even gtx980 in my mac sometimes can crash on this, very rarely tho.

that map menu appears to be very gpu consuming.

10. Surrat macrumors 6502

Surrat

Is the power draw even on the connectors with that card? did you check their amp draw, maybe the 6pin is being overloaded, but also whats the rated amp draw limit on the dvd molex? because with that and a 6pin, your pulling up to 75 watts from the molex, and maybe thats too much.

The only way I can think of to create a fully powered 150watt 8pin is by using both your motherboard 6pin connectors for it. Then create another 6pin using two sata or sata and a dvd-molex. This being without an extra psu of course.

11. JronMasteR macrumors 6502

JronMasteR

I'm currently running a MacVidCards GtX 780 6GB and external power is required in my case. My MacPro turned off randomly with internal power.

This will definitely be my next card if MVC manages to mod this beast:p

12. prowlmedia macrumors 68000

It's a case of if you don't know you don't need it...

Personally I need as much VRAM as I can get for massive 3D scenes.

13. 666sheep macrumors 68040

666sheep

For 4,1/5,1 there's a way to draw power directly from PSU, entirely omitting backplane board. It's possible (and safe) because PSU in these has single 12V rail with 80 Amps. Been there, done that.
    In my main machine I have 2 fully powered 8-pin cables and I can use 2 6+8 pin GPUs without underclocking/volting and such stuff. 8-pin ones come directly from PSU, 6-pin ones are connected to backplane.

With 2008s and 2006s it's more complicated because these have multiple rails with much lower Amps each. And you don't know precisely from which rail it's safe to "steal" the juice. If you'd choose the wrong one, there will be not enough current to feed CPUs for example.

14. Surrat macrumors 6502

Surrat

Damn, now I'm interested in learning about this !

Is there a site or info someplace that explains how its done?

15. Surrat macrumors 6502

Surrat

This is interesting, I looked up the PSU in the 5,1.

That 12.2volt 79amp rail is really strange, I never saw a computer PSU setup like this one. I guess the trick is just tapping off the right wires, to create the 150 watt 8pin cables.

Attached Files:

16. TzunamiOSX, Mar 6, 2015
    Last edited: Mar 6, 2015

TzunamiOSX macrumors regular

A time ago i have seen an other sticker on a MacPro PSU with 5 rails, but i think this was a 2008 PSU

17. crjackson2134 macrumors 68020

crjackson2134

Wow, I'd really love to see a guide on this mod too. I couldn't do it right now since my 5,1 is still under AppleCare until Mar. 2016. Hell, I'd even purchase a pre-Modded PSU if offered at a price I could justify. This would make nearly any PC Card open game (easily). Okay, now I'm all worked up!

18. Demigod Mac macrumors 6502a

I'm hoping it'll be like the 780 where it can be modded to run on internal power. (is that because they just barely skirt the border on 225W? Curious how the mod works...) I've got a 780 modded by MVC and it's never cut out on me; it even tanks FurMark without an issue.

19. Surrat macrumors 6502

Surrat

I think the 780 cards running on internal 6pins is right on the ragged edge of what the safety load switch will allow. My guess is the people that are getting resets with the 780 have also upgrade their cpu's to 130 watt ones, and perhaps have extra cards too. Since the PSU puts out so much power on a single 12v channel, I bet the safety shut off and load limiter is just to protect the mainboard traces that deliver power to everything. Tapping directly off the PSU outputs should bypass that weakness completely.

20. Tutor macrumors 65816

Tutor

Home of the Birmingham Civil Rights Institute
    You can get a new 2009-2012 MP PSU for about $300 here: http://www.dvwarehouse.com/661-5449...0W-for-Mac-Pro-2009---2012---NEW-p-37683.html . Moreover, if 666sheep were to provide a how-to guide, then that would greatly aid, reducing risk, effort and time for mod.

----------

Please provide a how-to guide?

21. crjackson2134 macrumors 68020

crjackson2134

A guide would be great, I'd love to have this mod. done. Perhaps someone could even provide a modding service for those of us that aren't comfortable hacking into the PSU themselves.

22. 666sheep macrumors 68040

666sheep

Here is the guide:
    – disassemble the PSU
    – solder 16 copper cables (18 AWG at least) to 12V and GND lines (you gotta know 8-pin plug pinout obviously)
    – route cables through "cable hole"
    – crimp and put plugs on
    and it's done.

23. superdx macrumors regular

Someone put a post up awhile back complete with pictures on how to do this. The soldering and disassembly of the PSU is not as straightforward as you wrote. For anyone interested to do this, I would suggest look up that guide as the above is too simple and will probably cause irreversible damage if you screw it up. The Mac Pro PSU is not cheap to replace.

24. 666sheep macrumors 68040

666sheep

Sure, for some even PCIe card installation isn't straightforward ;)
    Anyone interested in this mod should know what they're doing. It's rather obvious.

25. crjackson2134 macrumors 68020

crjackson2134

Having googled around for it but without positive results, perhaps you would be kind enough to post the link if you ever run across it again.