TiVo Announces 'TiVo Premiere' Application for iPad

Discussion in 'Mac Blog Discussion' started by MacRumors, Nov 22, 2010.

1. MacRumors macrumors bot

MacRumors

[​IMG]

TiVo today announced a forthcoming free application for the iPad that will allow users of the company's Premiere and Premiere XL set-top DVR boxes to control a wide array of functions directly from their iPads.
    The free TiVo Premiere application for iPad will be available "in the coming weeks".

Article Link: TiVo Announces 'TiVo Premiere' Application for iPad

2. aardwolf macrumors 6502

Awesome... I have both a TiVo Premier and an iPad. I'm drooling!

3. zv470 macrumors 6502

zv470

Is that guy a robot? Seriously, his facial expressions looked like someone stood on his remote. :eek: :D

4. aardwolf macrumors 6502

Guess they couldn't afford to hire a proper actor...

5. mathewr macrumors 6502

i feel the same way. now only if we can watch this stuff that was dvred outside of the house.

6. Lumpydog macrumors 6502

Sucky

Only Premier and XL?

Craptastic.

I own two Tivo HDs - support your installed base Tivo

7. reckless2k2 macrumors 6502a

This is stupid. Make an app that will allow me to stream to my device within my wireless network at home at least. I can send to the other TiVo in my house. How about transferring to the iPad or an iPhone without the need to use the computer as an intermediary? I'll pay for that app.

8. spazzcat macrumors 68030

spazzcat

Well its about time, but it looks like it was worth the wait...

9. huntercr macrumors 65816

sweet

disappointed that TivoHD users like myself get shafted ( and hell I've been a tivo owner since series 1 )

but that App is way better than Apple's airplay app ( of course it' doesn't stream I realize that, but I mean UI )

10. illegalprelude macrumors 68000

illegalprelude

aawww. Booo! Agreed. Im a Tivo Series 3 owner. Would love to get this functionality!

11. /dev/toaster macrumors 68020

/dev/toaster

I am incredibly disappointed at TiVo right now. They are so slow and sluggish to get anything done and in the end its seems half asses.

- They only created this app as a release to Comcasts new iPad app. Even though customers have been screaming for it for years. (Meaning even an iPhone app)
    - They screw over most of their customers by only making it for the newest TiVo. So happy that not only did I pay $300 for a TiVo HD, I have to pay $12 a month *AND* I have to have ads on the main screen ?!

To make things worse the TiVo Netflix app SUCKS. Most of the content sounds like chipmonks. I played a sample video to them on the phone and the guy says its fine, nothing wrong with it. Sure, maybe if you are deaf. Then of course, they said if there is a problem talk to Netflix. Netflix says its TiVos fault.

This news might be the last straw for me. I am NOT a happy customer right now.

12. dwsolberg macrumors 6502a

I agree. I paid $600 plus for a TIVO HD. I thought about updating to the next version, but it's just about as slow as the current version, plus a bunch of feature bloat. Once this thing breaks, I'll just go to Comcast's DVR. I also agree with the TIVO feature. It screws up the sound. I try not to think about it too much because it's so frustrating.

13. shartypants macrumors 6502a

shartypants

TiVO is still alive? Cool. I used to have one and LOVED it. But switched to DirecTV so living with their box. Its cool to see TiVO doing something new (after revolutionizing TV last decade).

14. Geeks macrumors newbie

I was annoyed by this too, being a $600 HD owner, but then again, Apple has left users of even more recent devices behind already.....

15. MrMoore macrumors 6502

Add me to the list of TiVo HD users disappointed this is not available for us.

I guess I still need to use I.tv.

16. aine macrumors newbie

Lame that this is not available for TiVo HD -- which was the current model until just months ago. I'm not shelling out another $300 for a new box.

17. StarDal macrumors member

Wow, not sure what's going on, but I am absolutely in love with the Netflix on TiVo. The only time I've had any issues is when everyone in the house (lots of geeks in one house) is bandwidth hogging at the same time.

18. newagemac macrumors 68020

You must have never used Netflix on any device other than a Tivo. I seriously can't find any device with a crappier and more limited Netflix implementation than on the Tivo. I image what you like is Netflix itself, not the Tivo implementation of Netflix.

19. balamw Moderator

balamw

Staff Member

Love my TiVo, but I have to second this. I always switch to the :apple:TV for Netflix, on my Tivo HD XL hardwired to a high bandwidth FiOS connection I always get audio issues while the :apple:TV is generally flawless and much easier to navigate with the iOS remote app.

Amazon VOD content on the TiVo rocks though.

Add me to the list of folks that would love to see the Series 3/HD units supported with something like this. Even a iPad version of i.TV would be nice.

B

20. Arcady macrumors 6502

Arcady

I already control my TiVo HD with the Slingbox app. And I can watch the shows wherever I am.

21. /dev/toaster macrumors 68020

/dev/toaster

Not to the digree that TiVo has.

I don't believe its a bandwidth issue. I have 6 devices that an play a Netflix movie.

- iPad
    - iPhone
    - Wii
    - Mac Pro
    - Macbook Pro
    - TiVo

Only the TiVo has had the audio problems. I have tried them all back to back with the same media and it happens consistently. I tried it on many different days, never an issue except TiVo.

Once the Wii didn't require a DVD, I gave up using TiVo for Netflix. I need to find some examples posted to show how annoying it is.

The Comcast DVR was the reason I switched to TiVo. After TiVo pulling this crap, I am going to re-evaluated my options. The TiVo was keeping me anchored to Comcast. However with that no longer being the case I can try many other solutions.

I might be able to recover some of my costs selling the TiVo on eBay. I would rather pay a few bucks per month and be able to swap out the device with a new one any time I want rather than be tied to a specific expensive device.

The interesting thing is that I just got a mailer about my building being wired for ethernet, 100MB connection for $40 a month. Might be time to try outside of Comcast in general.

Speed test done right now, and this is more or less still peak time. (Tail end ya, but still)
    Download Speed: 24787 kbps (3098.4 KB/sec transfer rate)
    Upload Speed: 3603 kbps (450.4 KB/sec transfer rate)

22. majortom64 macrumors newbie

How long ago was that? I only paid $275 as recently as 2008.

Where did you get the idea that it was as slow as the TiVo HD boxes? It is much faster and network access (for things like transferring shows) is really fast.

I would guess that this app requires TiVo's new interface and so cannot be made to work on their Series 3 boxes as they are too slow.

23. majortom64 macrumors newbie

Current until early in the year, but it was released over two years ago.

Fortunately you do not have to spend $300. Pay $20 a month for two years and get the box for free, pay $20 a month for one year and get the box for $99. In my area, comcast charges $16 a month, so you are paying $4 extra for 2 years after which you can drop your service price to $13 ($3 less a month) or even lower if you have multiple boxes).

/carmi

24. nsayer macrumors 6502a

nsayer

Oh, TiVo, what happened?

After getting fed up with DirecTV's control freak attitude about the content, I bought a Premiere and signed up for Comcast.

I'm stunned at how buggy the TiVo is. It's been, what, 10 years now?

And they are only JUST NOW developing an app? And only for the iPad? Not for the iPhone or iPod? Lame.

Oh, and they're not actually deploying it (yet). This is vaporware.

Grumble.

25. Austin M. macrumors 6502a

Austin M.