TIVO's big announcement

Discussion in 'Apple TV and Home Theater' started by uva25, Feb 12, 2010.

1. uva25 macrumors regular

2. rdowns macrumors Penryn

rdowns

I'll be watching, so to speak. My series 2 dies and I have the cable company DVR, which sucks in comparison to Tivo. Have been about to pill the trigger on a HD Tivo but now I'll wait.

3. GoCubsGo macrumors Nehalem

GoCubsGo

Well it is interesting but since I just got a TiVo in December and then paid for 3 years of service a week later I'm hoping it is something in the realm of software or at least some of the features would be available via a software update as the service is tied to the machine and I seriously doubt I'd fetch enough to recover most of the costs to buy another.

4. Tilpots macrumors 601

Tilpots

It's too late, Tivo. I'm going Mac Mini HTPC. Can't think of anything they could announce that could top that.

5. uva25 thread starter macrumors regular

I think it will be both as there have been many rumors of new hardware and apparently many places are selling down their stock of the Tivo HDs. We will see.

6. Chaos123x macrumors 68000

Yeah I agree I got a Tivo HD brand new for $99 so yeah new ones are on the way.

7. vwDavid macrumors regular

My Tivo 3 year runs on Sept 2010. I'm pretty much sold on mac mini HTPC. I may be able to wait to see what transpires March 2nd...but it will be hard to.

8. jmor macrumors 6502

We had one of the first TiVos but switched to cable DVR for a couple of years, what would you say TiVo has that DVR doesn't, what makes it better in your opinion?

9. Superman07 macrumors 6502a

I hope this announcement includes:

1) Cheaper hardware
    2) Reduced monthly fees

As much as I dislike cable company provided DVRs it's cheaper. I can take paying for the Tivo up front (~$250-300), but the $15/mo just stings in comparission to what you pay the cable company. On top of that if you go HTPC/DVR you don't pay a monthly fee for show data, etc.

10. rdowns macrumors Penryn

rdowns

I have a DVR through Cablevision and the UI just sucks. It's as un-Tivo like as you can get. No way to search for a program, you have to go through the online cable guide to find and set recordings. It misses several programs a week. It doesn't handle conflicts well.

They have a new, beta online way to program but it never works.

Tivo is, IMO, one of the top 3 technologies one needs in their home. The others two are Macs and a Keurig.

11. GoCubsGo macrumors Nehalem

GoCubsGo

Evidently I did not do enough research to sense this and when I asked for a TiVo for Christmas I got one ... either way as much as I hope that it's mostly software I'm guessing increased storage will be something we'll see. Something I can live without since I can add an external drive.

While my DVR through Time Warner will allow me to search programs (the UI appears as though it may be better than Cablevision's), the DVR for no reason will not record, it doesn't automatically inform me that a program can extend past the allotted time (think State of the Union address), it does handle conflicts better though at first I was a bit confused, I handles season passes better, constant updates allow for me to know I am using the latest where as the money I am paying the cable company is NOT going into the development of the UI on their DVRs (that's where some of your money is going with TiVo), Netflix and other online content ... just to name some.

The TiVo is a good compliment to a HTPC, at least for me. I also have successfully (all 4 times I've tried) set up recordings from my iPhone using free apps.

12. xfiring macrumors member

13. slyreptile macrumors newbie

Not even Tivo software that'll run on a Mac instead of being tied to a Tivo box? :cool:

14. jaw04005 macrumors 601

jaw04005

15. rdowns macrumors Penryn

rdowns

16. Perrumpo macrumors 68000

Perrumpo

I don't mind my DVR, but I like the idea of transferring recordings from TiVo to my Mac. I too was worried about the subscription fee, though. However, now that I got a second HDTV, I called the cable company to add another HD DVR, and they wanted $25/month. Soooo... TiVo HD is looking quite good right now. I'm glad I saw this thread. Now I'll wait!

17. RaceTripper macrumors 68030

Well, Tivo is way behind getting the new DirecTV HD Tivo out the door, so I won't put a whole lot of stock on anything that's announced by Tivo and not yet shipping.

18. Tilpots macrumors 601

Tilpots

Think they'd sell just the software? Me neither...

19. vwDavid macrumors regular

Up to the top- March 2nd is tomorrow. Wonder what this will bring...

Are there any new rumors I missed?

20. rhett7660 macrumors G4

rhett7660

This will be interesting. I have DishDVR and I love it except for one little thing. I can't get items off the dvr. If I could get items off of it, I would be freaking happy. So I am interested in seeing what Tivo brings to the table with this announcement.

21. savar macrumors 68000

savar

What software? I looked at HTPC but it seemed like there was no cable-card compatibility back then.

22. bigpatky macrumors regular

bigpatky

they already have sold only the software (comes with a remote if you want) as was already linked above. windows only. don't know if it's till for sale though.

23. tgildred macrumors 6502

I mean no offense, but as I'm reading this, I'm seeing some exec at Tivo reading your post and saying to the team, "Shut it down, boys. This guy Tilpots--over at the MacRumors forum--he says it's too late."

24. vwDavid macrumors regular

looks like we have to wait until 7pm EST for the news embargo to lift...