TLert vs. BiteSMS-which is better?

Discussion in 'Jailbreaks and iOS Hacks' started by NateEssex, Oct 15, 2010.

1. NateEssex macrumors 6502

Can anyone speak to any advantages TLert may have over BiteSMS? I just upgraded and saw it highlighted on Cydia. It's $6.99 and the screen shots looked cool.

Thanks!

2. jav6454 macrumors P6

jav6454

Bite.... it's been around much longer and better developed

3. bern43 macrumors member

Bite is great. I was hesitant about just replacing the stock sms app but Bite really is much better.

4. Applejuiced macrumors Westmere

Applejuiced

Bite no doubt.

5. kalirob99 macrumors 68000

kalirob99

6. sidewinder macrumors 68020

sidewinder

+5!

biteSMS is the best (except the icon). Version 5.0 is a big step forward in functionality.

S-

7. jjayasekar macrumors newbie

There's a bitesms retina icon that looks just like the stock SMS app in the cydia repos.. I think it's in big boss repo...

I hated the pink icon too haha but the stock icon makes it better! The only problem (for some people not me) is that you need winter board to use it

8. nozebleed macrumors 6502

another vote for bite...

especially the new 5.0 - drop down text screen on quick compose and memory of the last person you sent a text to sealed the deal for me. ive been using the 4.x whatever it was (the version before this) and loved it, then the update made me buy a permanent license for me and my gf's phone

9. milamber macrumors regular

Wirelessly posted (Mozilla/5.0 (iPhone; U; CPU iPhone OS 4_1 like Mac OS X; en-us) AppleWebKit/532.9 (KHTML, like Gecko) Version/4.0.5 Mobile/8B117 Safari/6531.22.7)

Using Bitesms too and it is almost making the whole jailbreak process worth it by itself. Seriously seriously good app bin surprise Apple havent bought them out and make it their default SMS app!

Granted the only bad thing about it is the kinda crappy icon but it is really easy to replace it with the stock icon either via SSH or iFile off Cydia.

10. IBradMac macrumors 68000

IBradMac

11. IrishVixen macrumors 68020

IrishVixen

Nope, don't HAVE to use Winterboard if you don't want to. I have my replacement Bite icon in a folder on the phone that I access through iFile, and I just copy and paste it whenever Bite has an update.

Winterboard is probably easier, but it takes under 20 seconds, all directly on the phone, for me to change the icon manually.

I store my icon in

/private/var/mobile/Documents as icon@2x.png

Once it's there, whenever you update Bite, in iFile, navigate to above. Copy-replace file to:

/private/var/stash/Applications/biteSMS.app

(instructions are for 4.0, haven't heard that things changed in 4.1, but check file names and make backups to be sure)

12. tctony macrumors 6502a

tctony

Tlert is great. Seems like they've added a lot to it recently.

That said, I'm using bite and loving it.

13. jpetticrew macrumors 6502a

jpetticrew

BiteSMS, I find Tlert obtrusive. The text bubbles just appear. At least Bite puts them in a conatiner so they don't look like a UI mishap.

14. BurntReality macrumors 6502

BurntReality

Another vote for BiteSms. It is one of my jailbreak essentials.

15. F123D macrumors 68040

F123D

Currently using quickreply but whenever that one isn't compatible any longer, I'm upgrading to Bite.

16. Justinb51 macrumors 6502

Justinb51

At first I was using quick reply for quite some time, then it got buggy for me. I started using Bite, now I love it. Bite SMS and mywi are my two main for jailbreaking! Bite is very user friendly with many options to customize the way you like your messages to be. I just purchased the license yesterday as a matter of fact.
    I have never used tlert so I cannot comment on that.

17. nozebleed macrumors 6502

i was using quickreply too, but quick compose w/ quick reply in bite trumps quickreply. unless this functionality has been added to quickreply since i used it last

18. ryefield macrumors newbie

oh, I'd go with Tlert.. by a long shot! having tried them all (including BiteSMS, IrealSMS, Mobilenotifier, QuickReply, etc..) Tlert really stands out as the best notification system (for SMS only, of course). it's super fast, flawless (for me anyway, with iPhone 4 32GB iOS 4.3.2 and NO WINTERBOARD). NO loading time, does not pop a huge notification popup like the others and does not force you to load the native SMS app if you want to reply or compose a new text. New SMS gesture is amazing and works flawlessly from whatever app you're in including lockscreen, the bubbles are nicely designed (evethough I don't care much for the internal autocorrect thingy) and it's just SMS notification the way it was meant to be. I can't see why Apple chose to go with Mobilenotifier for iOS 5, I guess it's just the most 'in iOS spirit' app, and allows them to cut distances with Android, but really, Tlert is the best when it comes to receiving and sending SMS. I can't even remember the last time I actually tapped my native SMS icon lol...

19. spaceboots06 macrumors 6502a

spaceboots06

I like Tlert most as well. It does exactly what I want it to do and does no more than I need.

20. Almeuit macrumors regular

21. bigjnyc macrumors 601

bigjnyc

another vote for Bitesms... Even though your mind should have been made up already :D

22. twezzyfbaby macrumors regular

twezzyfbaby

Bite is the best!! There is a dl that will change the icon black or blue in cydia but u have 2 use winterboard is the only down side 2 it

23. utwarreng macrumors 6502

utwarreng

I'm a TLert fan myself. Integration with the stock messages app was more important to me than anything else.

24. Sparky9292 macrumors 6502a

Wirelessly posted (Mozilla/5.0 (iPhone; U; CPU iPhone OS 4_3_3 like Mac OS X; en-us) AppleWebKit/533.17.9 (KHTML, like Gecko) Version/5.0.2 Mobile/8J2 Safari/6533.18.5)

BiteSMS has QuickReply, templates. My only problem is that the latest version crashes everyonce in a while = IT SAFE MODE.