TM HDD corrupt?

Discussion in 'macOS' started by DanB91, Nov 7, 2007.

1. DanB91 macrumors 6502

Ever since launch day i have always kept an HDD attached to my ibook. so today i decide i wanna take it out of my room (where the hdd is), so i try to eject it. it doesnt eject. so im looking if its transfering any files and it wasn't, so i take it out w/out ejecting it. later when i plug it back in, my HDD spins up and doesnt mount. i go to disk utility and see that the disk itself is mounted, but the data partition isnt mounted. i click mount and says "mount failed, try using first aid". so i hit repair disk and it doesnt find any errors and my disk still isnt mounting! is there a better, more thorough disk repair program i can use? plz help

2. gr8tfly macrumors 603

gr8tfly

Have you relaunched the Finder, or restarted? I've found 10.5 Finder to get confused, at times, as to what is mounted or unmounted. It's happened a few times, and usually just relaunching Finder will "fix" it.

3. DanB91 thread starter macrumors 6502

ive restarted w/ the hdd attached but now i think im gonna try to restart w/ it detached

4. DanB91 thread starter macrumors 6502

No luck w/ restart, any more help would be appreciated thanx.

5. gr8tfly macrumors 603

gr8tfly

Was this a new drive for Leopard TM, or one you've used before?

If it's USB bus powered, some models can be marginal. Try using a/c adapter, if available.

Just throwing ideas out there. It doesn't sound like a drive hardware problem, though.

6. DanB91 thread starter macrumors 6502

my hdd is powered by an outlet. it has usb and firewire ports. i normally keep usb plugged in, but i tried firewire and it doesnt even read it. i really hope i dont have to format my drive :(

7. Avatar74 macrumors 65816

I had a similar problem which I think arose from trying to make an existing partition on an external drive into a Time Machine drive.

It wouldn't unmount the disk for repartitioning... The solution was to move my non-TM files to another drive on the network, and then do an Erase Disk in Disk Utility, and reformat the entire drive. After Erase Disk, the volume was unmountable for reformatting/partitioning. I don't know how it fares with multiple partitions but I kept it all one partition after reformatting and it worked.

8. rushmere macrumors 6502

rushmere

I'm having a similar problem - my external Time Machine HDD has now become corrupt. I get the message "The disk you inserted was not readable by this computer" when I switch it on.

It's a single partition USB2 disk with external power, used exclusively for Time Machine.

I suspect I switched it off without unmounting it first. I've always had worries that OS X can be a bit fragile when it comes to disk handling. It really sickens me to say this, but I've never had a corrupt disk problem with Windows in more than 15 years, no matter how roughly I treat a disk. I guess I'm just going to have to be a lot more careful, but it's really easy to forget to umnount before switching the HDD off.

I know it's my fault for not being more careful, but it just seems to go against Apple's usual "foolproof" approach, especially with something as critical as a backup.