Carrier TMobile iPhone or Apple Unlocked

Discussion in 'iPhone' started by princealyy, Jan 28, 2014.

1. princealyy macrumors regular

Hey Guys, wondering if I should get a Tmobile iPhone or an unlocked iPhone from the Apple store, the price difference is $49 (600 vs 649)

Will Tmobile unlocked the phone, which will be the same as an unlocked iPhone form Apple? I am going to pay upfront for the phone, just want to make sure that I am getting a good deal, but that the phone will be truly unlocked with all the bands of service available to me.

Anyone know? We are ditching Sprint today for Tmobile.

2. CEmajr macrumors 601

If you're going to be using the phone on T-Mobile then get the T-Mobile one. They'll unlock it after a couple months of service with them.

If you don't plan on using it on T-Mobile then buy it full retail from Apple.

They both have all the same cellular bands.

3. wordoflife macrumors 604

wordoflife

Agreed.
    And also, might as well just buy the Verizon model full price. Same capability as the unlocked model, but it can also do Verizon (if you ever wanted to sign up with them).

4. gaanee macrumors 6502a

But the you have to sign a 2 year contract with verizon, so having an unlocked phone and paying to verizon makes it meaningless.

5. JackieInCo macrumors 601

They'll unlock the iPhone as long as the phone is paid off.

6. princealyy thread starter macrumors regular

Perfect, turns out we ordered the unlocked versions from Apple, I am going to try and call Tmobile tomorrow and try to get them to overnight me the phones, we are getting 5 phones, so that is $50 x 5 = 250...

Thanks again all...

7. lordofthereef macrumors G5

lordofthereef

Not really.

If he buys outright, he isn;t locked into a contract at all.

If he wants to start verizon service, for whatever reason, he is also not forced to sign a two year contract.

lastly, it will give a slightly higher resale value, as well as more options to sell locally. He can literally sell to anyone in the states who isn;t on Sprint (or some smaller CDMA pay as you go that don't seem to matter to anyone anyway).