Tmobile uncarrier 7

Discussion in 'iPhone' started by sobucky, Sep 10, 2014.

1. sobucky macrumors 6502

Uncarrier 7.0 I personal cell spot For free with $25 deposit, unlimited wifi calling etc

2. turbineseaplane macrumors 68020

turbineseaplane

With a Simple Choice Plan (no prepaid it sounds like)

...just for clarity

3. mnsportsgeek macrumors 65816

Tmobile uncarrier 7

What a BS event.

So will my iPhone finally stay connected at all times to wifi? Or will it still disconnect after a period of inactivity?

4. CEmajr macrumors 601

I just read that it will allow for Wifi calling during flights too. So you'll be able to call and text people while in air. That's pretty big. Plus it now works from any country too. Not bad at all.

5. turbineseaplane macrumors 68020

turbineseaplane

Speak for yourself.

I *greatly* welcome wi-fi calling

----------

Additional big news is that Wi-Fi calling will work with iOS 8 on iPhone 5C / 5S

6. AutoUnion39 macrumors 601

AutoUnion39

Text and MMS only. No calling.

7. sobucky thread starter macrumors 6502

Free inflight texting to anyone on gogo as well

8. travis64 macrumors 6502a

travis64

will this wifi calling and texting work on tmobile pre paid $30 plan?

9. AutoUnion39 macrumors 601

AutoUnion39

Yeah, it's BS. They've already had wifi calling in phones for a long time now. WiFi calling has been free and worldwide for a long long time now on TMo. They're just leveraging everyone's WiFi to leverage TMo's spotty network.

The personal cell hotspot is pretty damn hilarious. VZW and AT&T have had these for years and TMo acts like it is revolutionary and they're changing the industry.

And guess what? Everyone is going to raving about this crap for the next few months and spewing their marketing BS... even though they've had this capability for a long long time now

10. mnsportsgeek macrumors 65816

This requires always on wifi does it not? Does iOS 8 do that?

11. turbineseaplane macrumors 68020

turbineseaplane

AT&T never wanted to give me a microcell for free no matter how much I bitched.
    They wanted me to pay $129 for it.

12. E3BK macrumors 68020

E3BK

You don't *need* that special router for WiFi calling, right? it will work on regular WiFi?

13. Applejuiced macrumors Westmere

Applejuiced

Why not be able to have that feature instead of not having it though?
    When I'm in a basement I don't get good signal. It would be great if I could use my wifi instead to make calls with no issues or cutting out.
    Can you bring with you your verizon or AT&T cellhotspot or microcell everywhere there is wifi?
    I didnt think so.
    With wifi calling you wont have to use or rent any equipment or beg your carrier for one or have to do any installations or use any additional equipment.
    Your argument is pointless. Its a great feature to have available and hope other carriers enable that for their network.

14. turbineseaplane macrumors 68020

turbineseaplane

Yes.
    I think the free router they are giving out has QoS already setup to prioritize their VOIP probably (so it's easy for normal people to just plug in)

15. travis64 macrumors 6502a

travis64

yes it will work fine

$25 for a ac router is a good deal

16. Rigby macrumors 601

Thank god. Flying is annoying enough as it is.

17. E3BK macrumors 68020

E3BK

Awesome. I already have my Airport extreme attached to my FiOS router. I didn't want to have to add get another piece of equipment to get WiFi calling. lol.

18. AutoUnion39 macrumors 601

AutoUnion39

I got for my work a few years ago. Only took 2 phone calls. Don't even need it anymore because AT&T is on the DAS system at work.

----------

Must be a TMobile problem. I can't think of a single basement, etc where I don't have signal with AT&T or VZW.

You can't bring the TMobile Personal Hotspot either...

19. Applejuiced macrumors Westmere

Applejuiced

Nope, its AT&T.
    No matter what carrier you have if you're deep inside a cement basement signal will not penetrate as good.
    What do you mean you cant bring tmobile wifi calling?
    You obviously dont get how it woks. For t mobile's wifi calling you don't need any equipment.
    You just connect to any wifi network and it does wifi calling through that.
    Go here and educate yourself:
    http://how-to.t-mobile.com/wi-fi-calling/

20. mnsportsgeek macrumors 65816

For the love of god does anyone know if this means that enabling wifi calling on my iOS device will enable persistent wifi?

21. AutoUnion39 macrumors 601

AutoUnion39

Not necessarily, I have no issues. Even in my deep, underground parking garage at work and home. I guess it all depends on how the network has been deployed and the density of the cell-grid. Both things that TMo needs to work on. ;)
    I understand exactly how it works kid. I'm referring to the WiFi router/micro-tower (Personal CellSpot) that T-Mobile is giving away since their network is spotty. Just like you can't take an AT&T MicroCell with you, you can't take a Personal CellSpot with you.

----------

Nope. If you turn off WiFi, it will turn off WiFi calling, etc. WiFi Calling will enable only if you're connected to a network.

22. E3BK macrumors 68020

E3BK

Definitely not just a TMobile problem. I've had AT&T for years and years. There have been plenty of places where my service is bad, including my garden level apartment (Brooklyn) where I currently get 1 bar of LTE and calls go direct to VM more often then I'd like.

23. Applejuiced macrumors Westmere

Applejuiced

Sure, I'd like you to go to some parking garages and tell me about cell grid and density deployed. You will drop to lower signal no matter what.
    And like I told you Im not on Tmobile, Im on AT&T.
    Love how you act like you never experienced signal degradation deep underground or on certain buildings and structures but its impossible for cell signal to penetrate everything without losing strength.
    Again, we're not talking about a microcell system. Tmobiles wifi calling is completely different and doesnt need any additional hardware. Not sure why you keep bringing up the cellspot most likely cause you didn't know how their wifi calling works.

24. mnsportsgeek macrumors 65816

But the way wifi is set up now in iOS if you put your phone to sleep. It disconnects from Wifi.

So will enabling Wifi calling in turn enable "always on" wifi?

25. keitarou macrumors 6502

Yeah... Not much news. They got rid of most if not all of my pain points so I understand they are not going to be major announcements now.

Besides wifi calling doesn't solve no service areas with no wifi. Can't wait for them to finish upgrading.