Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

chris2k5

macrumors 6502a
Jun 30, 2010
I got nothing I wanted from this new iPhone except for camera and CPU.

There should've been:
-A new form factor
-Larger screen but if they gave a new form factor I would be fine with 3.5"
-LED notification
-Improved front facing camera
-Gesture pad as rumored
-LTE 4G
-New materials like aluminum (unibody like their Macs)

Gathomblipoob

macrumors 603
Mar 18, 2009
Specs don't mean crap, pretty much academic.

A phone is all about experience. The iPhone is plenty fast for what it needs to do. Its not like you are going to stare at the hourglass or beach ball every time you launch an app on the iPhone 4S compared to any other manufacturers phone.

Thats why Apple doesn't like to even post specs, because THEY DONT MATTER. And its just bait for fanboys to argue that a 1.5 Ghz phone in a plastic shell running an un-optimized OS is a better product than a well engineered and beautiful looking phone that runs smooth as silk.

As if a few extra megahertz was the ONLY thing that mattered in a phone. Screw the OS, the build quality, the ecosystem, the customer service. MEGAHURTS are where it's at!!!

Some people are enamored with numbers. Higher always mean better, don't you know? There's nary a thought given to software integration with the hardware. It's always, "The number's higher! Gotta get it! It's gotta be better!"

Gregintosh

macrumors 68000
Jan 29, 2008
Chicago
I got nothing I wanted from this new iPhone except for camera and CPU.

There should've been:
-A new form factor
-Larger screen but if they gave a new form factor I would be fine with 3.5"
-LED notification
-Improved front facing camera
-Gesture pad as rumored
-LTE 4G
-New materials like aluminum (unibody like their Macs)

Whats wrong with the current form factor... other than its been around for a while? Would you dump your hot girlfriend just cause you've been with her for a while?

Larger screen is a bogus point to make especially since you say you'd be fine with keeping the current size if there was a new form factor. In other words, its not about the screen size, its just about seeing something new for NEW sake (not because it'd be better but because it'd just be new).

New materials, again its all for the sake of just being new. The current materials are fine. I dropped my iPhone 4 quite a few times and it survived each time just fine. The current look is also very attractive to boot, nothing wrong with it!

LTE 4G, you probably don't NEED it. I can't imagine why anyone would need super fast download speeds on a phone, especially if it would sacrifice the battery life. Unless you are tethering, I suppose, and using the phone as your main internet connection but at that rate just get a personal hotspot or DSL ors something.

Improved front facing camera could be useful, but really for video conferencing what it comes with is definitely good enough.

LED notifications and gesture pad are the two things left, and that's really grasping at straws. I mean, who wants a phone that can shoot 1080p video, take 8MP photos, act as your GPS, manage your calendars for you, etc. if you can't make superfluous gestures (read: unnecessary since you can control everything by touching any part of the screen already) on a 2 x 2 centimeter area designated for them!

Gathomblipoob

macrumors 603
Mar 18, 2009
Whats wrong with the current form factor... other than its been around for a while? Would you dump your hot girlfriend just cause you've been with her for a while?

Larger screen is a bogus point to make especially since you say you'd be fine with keeping the current size if there was a new form factor. In other words, its not about the screen size, its just about seeing something new for NEW sake (not because it'd be better but because it'd just be new).

New materials, again its all for the sake of just being new. The current materials are fine. I dropped my iPhone 4 quite a few times and it survived each time just fine. The current look is also very attractive to boot, nothing wrong with it!

LTE 4G, you probably don't NEED it. I can't imagine why anyone would need super fast download speeds on a phone, especially if it would sacrifice the battery life. Unless you are tethering, I suppose, and using the phone as your main internet connection but at that rate just get a personal hotspot or DSL ors something.

Improved front facing camera could be useful, but really for video conferencing what it comes with is definitely good enough.

LED notifications and gesture pad are the two things left, and that's really grasping at straws. I mean, who wants a phone that can shoot 1080p video, take 8MP photos, act as your GPS, manage your calendars for you, etc. if you can't make superfluous gestures (read: unnecessary since you can control everything by touching any part of the screen already) on a 2 x 2 centimeter area designated for them!

It's all about being able to show the other junior high schoolers, "Hey! Take a look! I have the new iPhone! Can you see it? Can you see how different it looks from the iPhone 4? Ain't I just so cool?"

Dandrews524

macrumors 6502
Jan 30, 2009
New York
ill admit im disappointed by this refresh, but i think i will be ok with my iphone 4 and some iOS 5 to give it a bit of a different feeling. hopefully it wont be another 16 months before we see another refresh.

aztooh

macrumors 6502a
Jul 5, 2011

Obviously, you really like the current form factor...I mean, comparing it to a good looking female and all. Okay, so, since you like it...does that mean everyone has to like it? I know I'm not who you directed your post to, but the answer is in a post of mine on the 1st page of this thread. I don't want a glass brick shaped object for my phone. Sure, it looks good, but I hate how it feels.

Why can't those who are enamored with the iP4/s form just accept that others don't share your sentiment?

Gathomblipoob

macrumors 603
Mar 18, 2009
ill admit im disappointed by this refresh, but i think i will be ok with my iphone 4 and some iOS 5 to give it a bit of a different feeling. hopefully it wont be another 16 months before we see another refresh.

I'll admit that I wanted a little larger screen, as I'm not as young as I used to be, but the hardware improvements are pretty substantial. I don't need a redesigned outer shell to be cool; I already am. :D

aztooh

macrumors 6502a
Jul 5, 2011
I'll admit that I wanted a little larger screen, as I'm not as young as I used to be, but the hardware improvements are pretty substantial. I don't need a redesigned outer shell to be cool; I already am. :D

Right, only reason for wanting a new shell is to be "cool". Great argument.

Gregintosh

macrumors 68000
Jan 29, 2008
Chicago
It's all about being able to show the other junior high schoolers, "Hey! Take a look! I have the new iPhone! Can you see it? Can you see how different it looks from the iPhone 4? Ain't I just so cool?"

I think you nailed it right there. How are you supposed to be the cool kid on the block when your new toy looks like the old one?

Obviously, you really like the current form factor...I mean, comparing it to a good looking female and all. Okay, so, since you like it...does that mean everyone has to like it?

I guess not, but clearly most people do like it since the iPhone 4 has been the best selling phone ever for Apple. I think the iPhone 4 feels just fine in the hand, and I like that it feels substantial. I don't feel like I'm going to break it easily.

Still, Apple has a design thats clearly working for a lot of people so why change it to please a few (and risk turning off those who already like it). I am sure a new design will come out sooner or later, but for now I think Apple's theory is if it ain't broke don't fix it (and for the vast majority of people, it ain't broke).

Right, only reason for wanting a new shell is to be "cool". Great argument.

What other argument is there for a purely cosmetic change?

Savor

Suspended
Jun 18, 2010
The way I see it, if people are criticizing the 4S, then the 4 is a joke as well since the internals on it is weaker and the exterior is practically the same.

iPhone 4 was already a great phone to begin with. People would sound contradicting if they criticize the 4S while still loving their 4. Same thing except 4S is internally better.

So Apple made a great phone from 2010 and did make it better in 2011. Just not EXTERNALLY and not giving it a "5" which is what alot of people are complaining about the most.

aztooh

macrumors 6502a
Jul 5, 2011
What other argument is there for a purely cosmetic change?

Uhhh, you replied to my posts...did you read them? It's a glass brick, wrapped in metal. I don't like it, I don't like how it feels in my hand. It's a major reason why I passed on the 4 to begin with.

Am I allowed to have my own likes and dislikes? Or should I like the form factor since it sold millions of units, and therefore, must be good for me?

Edit: And the form factor of a HAND HELD device is far from just a "cosmetic" aspect. If it doesn't feel good/right in your hand/s, why would you want to use it for 12-24 months..daily..?

Gregintosh

macrumors 68000
Jan 29, 2008
Chicago
Uhhh, you replied to my posts...did you read them? It's a glass brick, wrapped in metal. I don't like it, I don't like how it feels in my hand. It's a major reason why I passed on the 4 to begin with.

Am I allowed to have my own likes and dislikes? Or should I like the form factor since it sold millions of units, and therefore, must be good for me?

Edit: And the form factor of a HAND HELD device is far from just a "cosmetic" aspect. If it doesn't feel good/right in your hand/s, why would you want to use it for 12-24 months..daily..?

It feels just fine for me and millions of other people. I have no problem holding my phone to use apps or even holding it up to my ear to talk on it from time to time (if my headset isn't handy). You say this as if the iPhone 4 not feeling good in the hand was a universal, objective truth, but its not. Its highly subjective and you are of the small minority opinion (not saying that your opinion doesn't count, but I think what I am saying represents a far higher proportion of users).

If you really hate the way it feels that much, you should definitely look at other vendors and make the switch. You are much more likely to find something that feels EXACTLY right since there are hundreds of options with the other vendors (seems like some new android or windows phone hits the shelves every week if not every day if you read the gadget blogs).

I see nothing wrong with glass wrapped in metal. Its not like it has sharp edges that cut your hand. In all my use I have not yet once gotten a cut or bruise from my phone.

aztooh

macrumors 6502a
Jul 5, 2011
It feels just fine for me and millions of other people. I have no problem holding my phone to use apps or even holding it up to my ear to talk on it from time to time (if my headset isn't handy).

If you really hate the way it feels that much, you should definitely look at other vendors and make the switch. You are much more likely to find something that feels EXACTLY right since there are hundreds of options with the other vendors (seems like some new android or windows phone hits the shelves every week if not every day if you read the gadget blogs).

I see nothing wrong with glass wrapped in metal. Its not like it has sharp edges that cut your hand. In all my use I have not yet once gotten a cut or bruise from my phone.

1. That doesn't answer my question. Since it's nice for others, it has to be nice for me? Which, btw, just because people bought it, doesn't mean they all liked the form factor. Also, there are plenty others on here that have voiced that they don't like it.

2. Make what switch? Again, you reply to my posts, but apparently have trouble reading them. So I'll repeat it: The form factor of the 4 is A MAJOR REASON I PASSED ON IT. I'm still on a 3G. I've waited because I wanted to stay with iOS.

Again, I'm glad you see nothing wrong with it. That's been established. And way to go overboard with the cuts and bruises. It's really no wonder so many call out iOS users as "fanboys" or whatever.

mysterioustko

macrumors 6502
May 7, 2011
It feels just fine for me and millions of other people. I have no problem holding my phone to use apps or even holding it up to my ear to talk on it from time to time (if my headset isn't handy). You say this as if the iPhone 4 not feeling good in the hand was a universal, objective truth, but its not. Its highly subjective and you are of the small minority opinion (not saying that your opinion doesn't count, but I think what I am saying represents a far higher proportion of users).

I agree with him, the iphone 4 is not very comfortable to hold. Holding a 3gs for example is much more comfortable than holding the iphone4. It has absolutely no ergonomic design at all. That is not an opinion that is a fact. While comfort may be subjective, ergonomics is not, and ergonomics it definitely lacks.

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.