Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

jrswizzle

macrumors 603
Aug 23, 2012
McKinney, TX
I didn't mean the one from AT&T that uses wifi to make a micro-cell. I meant an actual signal booster/repeater that can utilize that robust signal that is outdoors and make it usable indoors. Alas, for one that works it would probably still set you back $100-$200. If I was in that situation I'd probably get one. But I would also probably stress over the lack of signal a lot more too. ;)

Michael

Wait, wait - my issue isn't with the price of the device per-say, but the principle of the matter lol....

Any links to share regarding a signal booster?

Also, just found this link regarding a possible new united Google chatting service called codenamed "babble":

http://www.sfgate.com/technology/bu...s-Reportedly-Putting-All-Its-Chat-4366775.php

If it works over WiFi and with my cell number, this would be wonderful!

rocknblogger

macrumors 68020
Apr 2, 2011
New Jersey
Because it is. No doubt about it.

The other day I had a conversation going on my iPad with my daughter then needed to switch to my iPhone as I was traveling. Instead of showing me the most-recent messages and then synching older messages it was synching older messages first--and taking forever to do so. Over the slow mobile data network that I was on this made using iMessage impossible. I would send her a message, only to have it buried underneath old messages from her (that I already saw on my iPad). I had no idea if she was replying to me or not because, yep, older messages kept pouring in. I had to switch to facebook messages (which worked fine, even showing proper history without spazzing out like iMessage did).

On my macs? Ugh. Sometimes a conversation will just evaporate, zapping all messages since, say, the day before. What did they write me just before? I don't know unless I pick up my iPad and check (or wait who-knows-how-long for iMessage on the mac to come to its senses). This quirk has caused me to inadvertently reply to old messages, out of context.

Essentially if you are not constantly using all of the devices the synching goes nuts till it can attempt to catch up. I hardly ever use my iPhone so it hadn't run iMessage in over a week. This is often the case with my iPad and mb air too.

Michael

Yeah I have to agree iMessages is a point of consternation. I used to receive all messages on all devices. Now I only get them on my iPhone unless I specifically use my iPad and I can no longer sign in on my Mac. It's become a terrible experience. I've tried every fix I found via Google but still no joy. I've pretty much given up on trying to fix it.

jrswizzle

macrumors 603
Aug 23, 2012
McKinney, TX
Yeah I have to agree iMessages is a point of consternation. I used to receive all messages on all devices. Now I only get them on my iPhone unless I specifically use my iPad and I can no longer sign in on my Mac. It's become a terrible experience. I've tried every fix I found via Google but still no joy. I've pretty much given up on trying to fix it.

Have you tried the Genius Bar at an Apple store?

Tinmania

macrumors 68040
Aug 8, 2011
Aridzona
Wait, wait - my issue isn't with the price of the device per-say, but the principle of the matter lol....

Any links to share regarding a signal booster?

Also, just found this link regarding a possible new united Google chatting service called codenamed "babble":

http://www.sfgate.com/technology/bu...s-Reportedly-Putting-All-Its-Chat-4366775.php

If it works over WiFi and with my cell number, this would be wonderful!
They have a bunch on Amazon if you search for cell booster/repeater. The important thing is to make sure you know what band(s) you need and look for something that supports them.

That babble thing looks nice. Time will tell.

Michael

jrswizzle

macrumors 603
Aug 23, 2012
McKinney, TX
They have a bunch on Amazon if you search for cell booster/repeater. The important thing is to make sure you know what band(s) you need and look for something that supports them.

That babble thing looks nice. Time will tell.

Michael

I'll have to check it out, thanks.

onthecouchagain

macrumors 604
Mar 29, 2011
Copied from Android

Copied from Android

Good feature and iCloud backup is amazing but everything else was copied from Google's cloud services

A worse version of Google Maps

Only able to be shared with other iOS/Mac users...not as good as Android's implementation

Love iMessage with other iOS users! Better than any form of communication on Android. But the fact that it's iOS/Mac only is a huge thumbs down.

Apple was first in this respect but they have already been passed by many Android devices with higher pixel density and better screens

Nice feature but not a game changer

Worthless to most people

Siri is a novelty feature to most people and isn't widely used after the novelty wears off. Google Now is a far superior implementation of what Siri should/could be.

Nice feature...but should utilize NFC like Google Wallet

Don't know what this is.

Camera still lacks many features of most high end Android devices. That said, iPhone camera still takes better pictures than any Android phone (IMO).

HTC One is better looking

Far below the current top end Android devices

Not trying to get into a flame-war here but pointing out that many of your "innovations" are either a direct copy or are still inferior to their Android counterparts.

This thread should have ended at this post. Well done.

I'd also point out they didn't invent Siri. Siri existed before.

And if things like making devices thinner and lighter and cameras better is innovation, then the competition has been innovating for a while.

thehustleman

macrumors 65816
Jan 3, 2013
Copied from Android

Copied from Android

Good feature and iCloud backup is amazing but everything else was copied from Google's cloud services

Only able to be shared with other iOS/Mac users...not as good as Android's implementation

Love iMessage with other iOS users! Better than any form of communication on Android. But the fact that it's iOS/Mac only is a huge thumbs down.

Apple was first in this respect but they have already been passed by many Android devices with higher pixel density and better screens

Worthless to most people

Siri is a novelty feature to most people and isn't widely used after the novelty wears off. Google Now is a far superior implementation of what Siri should/could be.

Don't know what this is.

Camera still lacks many features of most high end Android devices. That said, iPhone camera still takes better pictures than any Android phone (IMO).

Not trying to get into a flame-war here but pointing out that many of your "innovations" are either a direct copy or are still inferior to their Android counterparts.

You beat me to it.

But you're speaking the truth, if it doesn't favor apple truth isn't accepted here

JediZenMaster

Suspended
Mar 28, 2010
Seattle
I will be glad when the day arrives where we can use our phones without it erupting in a war of platforms.

Both platforms have short comings.

mib1800

Suspended
Sep 16, 2012
Ehh - given the iPhone is still the single best selling smartphone line in the world, your analogy sort of falls apart. Also, Apple owns a majority of the smartphone industry's profits/revenue.

Pick ten people out of a crowd and ask them whether they want an iPhone or an Android phone, and the outcome wouldn't be so predictable.

Well, 8 out of ten will get an android. Take a look at this:-

http://www.androidauthority.com/iphone-vs-galaxy-history-173560/

Just look at how the galaxy has caught up with the sales of iphones. This is just Galaxy alone. Add all the rest from samsung, htc, zte, sony etc and you have the 75-25 share in favor of android worldwide.

You can spin it however you like but intangible (or personal) factors like "ecosystem", "less-is-better", "so easy an idiot can use", "stick-on logo at premium price", "proprietary and lockdown is good", "uniformity is good" etc etc., lots of people cannot feel for these reasons since they may not see them from your point of view. in fact you can have most of these intangibles happen in android.

But specs and value-for-money are different. They are tangible benefits A bigger screen is better in most people minds. More functions are just that - more. Like our rich-poor analogy, you either have it or don't have. Most people will always choose to be rich (i.e. more is better). That's why if someone choose the "less-is-better" approach in debate, it is quite frustrating to the other side since it is going against instinct. Just imagine that you compared the first android phone with iphone several years ago and the android side used "less is better" approach I bet the iphone supporters will blow his/her top.

onthecouchagain

macrumors 604
Mar 29, 2011

Just look at how the galaxy has caught up with the sales of iphones. This is just Galaxy alone. Add all the rest from samsung, htc, zte, sony etc and you have the 75-25 share in favor of android worldwide.

You can spin it however you like but intangible (or personal) factors like "ecosystem", "less-is-better", "so easy an idiot can use", "stick-on logo at premium price", "proprietary and lockdown is good", "uniformity is good" etc etc., lots of people cannot feel for these reasons since they may not see them from your point of view. in fact you can have most of these intangibles happen in android.

But specs and value-for-money are different. They are tangible benefits A bigger screen is better in most people minds. More functions are just that - more. Like our rich-poor analogy, you either have it or don't have. Most people will always choose to be rich (i.e. more is better). That's why if someone choose the "less-is-better" approach in debate, it is quite frustrating to the other side since it is going against instinct. Just imagine that you compared the first android phone with iphone several years ago and the android side used "less is better" approach I bet the iphone supporters will blow his/her top.

Seriously, well written. Well done.

bigjnyc

macrumors 604
Apr 10, 2008
I love the iPhone and I love iOS... However I love seeing all the androids out there (mostly galaxy) a) gone are the days when everyone and their mother has an iPhone b) puts the pressure on Apple to innovate and give us more for our money in order to stay competitive. Galaxy is the first legitimate threat to the iPhone and its a good thing for people on both sides of the fence. Arguing for a company or an operating system is pointless, just enjoy what works best for you and embrace competition, it's good for the consumer.

jrswizzle

macrumors 603
Aug 23, 2012
McKinney, TX

Hey sport, Apple has sold more than twice as many iPhone 4, 4S and 5 than Samsung has sold of its Galaxy line.

And the truth is, worldwide there are 1000s of different Android phones....many of the cheap variety. So forgive me if I don't put too much stock in the 75% Android (tons of OEMs) vs 25% iOS (1 OEM).

And FYI - my personal phone is a Nexus 4....no spin here. I simply can recognize that as a smartphone line, there hasn't and still isn't any as dominant as Apple. Samsung is getting there but let's face it....they recently celebrated their 100 millionth Galaxy device....Apple sold more iPhone 4Ss than Samsung has sold of its entire flagship line....

But sales don't make a great phone. I personally have 5 key criteria for my smartphone experience....Apple happens to nail all 5 of them, followed by Google (Nexus) at 4. Samsung is at the bottom.

To each his own.

onthecouchagain

macrumors 604
Mar 29, 2011

Really a classic case. If Apple offers more, it's better. If the competition offers more, "less is more" and all those features are too confusing.

Classic classic stuff.

I don't even really care to debate anymore which is the better operating system. It's so painfully obvious. Which is the better overall experience? That's far more debatable. But which is the better operating system? It's clear as day.

Just want to point out some good ol' classic Apple-always-wins argument.

----------

Hey sport, Apple has sold more than twice as many iPhone 4, 4S and 5 than Samsung has sold of its Galaxy line.

And the truth is, worldwide there are 1000s of different Android phones....many of the cheap variety. So forgive me if I don't put too much stock in the 75% Android (tons of OEMs) vs 25% iOS (1 OEM).

And FYI - my personal phone is a Nexus 4....no spin here. I simply can recognize that as a smartphone line, there hasn't and still isn't any as dominant as Apple. Samsung is getting there but let's face it....they recently celebrated their 100 millionth Galaxy device....Apple sold more iPhone 4Ss than Samsung has sold of its entire flagship line....

But sales don't make a great phone. I personally have 5 key criteria for my smartphone experience....Apple happens to nail all 5 of them, followed by Google (Nexus) at 4. Samsung is at the bottom.

To each his own.

Genuinely curious, if Apple nails all five of your criteria, why are you on a Nexus 4? Are you sort of holding out before going back to the iPhone? Honest questions.

lordofthereef

macrumors G5
Nov 29, 2011
Boston, MA
I don't understand why there is a list of things where apple has innovated since the inception of iOS. None of the arguments I have seen state apple has never innovated a thing. They all state that apple has grown stale and stopped innovating. The only thing on the OP's list that is from iOS 6 at a glance is the maps. He'll, I think passbook is more useful than the abortion that is maps, especially when I can easily download better maps on the AppStore. As far as I am aware, passbook is the best app, for what it does, downloadable or stock.

I also don't understand why these people are called haters. The Internet has ruined people's objectivity. Everything has to be either black or white. I say that apple has lost their innovative touch and I am a hater all of the sudden? Every major release of iOS has had some pretty major additions to the smartphone world except the last one (some would say two). Not hating, just being honest.

Last edited:

matttye

macrumors 601
Mar 25, 2009
Lincoln, England
Copied from Android

Copied from Android

Worthless to most people

Don't know what this is.

Facebook integration copied from Android? is that a joke?

Mr. Retrofire

macrumors 603
Mar 2, 2010
www.emiliana.cl/en
- Facebook integration
A waste of time on all devices.

- iCloud sinking across all apple products
Yeah, nice. I cannot use iCloud on Windows or Android devices. Why not platform independent services?

- display retina
And? Other manufacturers provide much better resolutions (important for high resolution images, text and PDF files).

- camera improvements
No substancial improvements are possible with the current technology. That's reason why HTC reduces the number of pixels in the camera of the HTC One.

matttye

macrumors 601
Mar 25, 2009
Lincoln, England
Yeah, nice. I cannot use iCloud on Windows or Android devices. Why not platform independent services?

iCloud works on Windows. Did you mean Windows Phone?

No substancial improvements are possible with the current technology. That's reason why HTC reduces the number of pixels in the camera of the HTC One.

There are plenty of improvements that can be made, but most phones are trying to get thinner and thinner, and to put a decent camera in there along with everything else it's going to need to get bigger and fatter.

Pixels don't say much about image quality at all; the lens etc. is much more important.

sk1wbw

Suspended
May 28, 2011
Williamsburg, Virginia
In my opinion, El3ctronics is right, most of the innovation now comes from Android...

And when Babble comes out, people will say Apple copied iMessages from Babble.

And the phone dial pad, Apple copied that from Android, also the icon based mobile phone OS, Apple copied that from Android too. Also a phone with a glass screen, volume buttons, an on and off switch, all copied from Android.

Last edited:

onthecouchagain

macrumors 604
Mar 29, 2011
I also don't understand why these people are called haters. The Internet has ruined people's objectivity. Everything has to be either black or white. I say that apple has lost their innovative touch and I am a hater all of the sudden? Every major release of iOS has had some pretty major additions to the smartphone world except the last one (some would say two). Not hating, just being honest.

A very valid and important point and reminder. Not all people who criticize the iPhone are "haters". In fact I'm a huge apple fan when it comes macs. I'm a believer of what they do there and constantly recommend macs. I myself have a Thunderbolt Display a retina 13" an imac and various other peripherals like the AirPort Extreme. That's thousands of dollars to a company I apparently hate.

The criticisms of the iPhone are because it is indeed one area where apple fails to win me over. Without jailbreak iOS is a dreadfully overrated operating system. Hardly the worlds most advance. Quite far from it.

That is not hating. Just honesty.

thehustleman

macrumors 65816
Jan 3, 2013
A very valid and important point and reminder. Not all people who criticize the iPhone are "haters". In fact I'm a huge apple fan when it comes macs. I'm a believer of what they do there and constantly recommend macs. I myself have a Thunderbolt Display a retina 13" an imac and various other peripherals like the AirPort Extreme. That's thousands of dollars to a company I apparently hate.

The criticisms of the iPhone are because it is indeed one area where apple fails to win me over. Without jailbreak iOS is a dreadfully overrated operating system. Hardly the worlds most advance. Quite far from it.

That is not hating. Just honesty.

Same here, I own an imac, macbook pro, airport extreme, ipod touch, bought my son an ipad mini, planning on buying myself a regular ipad, and even an apple TV now that I know they can be jailbroken soooooooooooo not an apple hater. People I know think I'm "one of the iCult" because I like most of apples products and always recommend all that I own but plain and simply the iphone lost me and Android is just making better phones. Never thought I'd leave the iphone but i did it....

jrswizzle

macrumors 603
Aug 23, 2012
McKinney, TX
Really a classic case. If Apple offers more, it's better. If the competition offers more, "less is more" and all those features are too confusing.

Classic classic stuff.

I don't even really care to debate anymore which is the better operating system. It's so painfully obvious. Which is the better overall experience? That's far more debatable. But which is the better operating system? It's clear as day.

Just want to point out some good ol' classic Apple-always-wins argument.

----------

Genuinely curious, if Apple nails all five of your criteria, why are you on a Nexus 4? Are you sort of holding out before going back to the iPhone? Honest questions.

I'm a device junkie :p

I like using both platforms (use my Nexus 4 alongside my iPhone 5). Always wanted to try Android out to see what I was missing (if anything). Mind you my 5 criteria are relatively general and really have nothing to do with the OS itself....

(1) Great Customer Service (go screw yourself Google)
(2) High quality feel/design (subjective)
(3) High quality LCD display (preference)
(4) Simple/not cluttered use (subjective)
(5) Timely OS updates

I have to have an iPhone for work (my company requires it) and despite Samsung's commercials, I WANT my work and personal lives separate.

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.