Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

Mastamarek

macrumors regular
Dec 31, 2007
Warsaw, Poland
ok, everyone knows that macs are overpriced but its not a bad thing. They use the same parts as pc competitors for the inside hardware. Why u pay more for a mac is simple. Retail stores are f**C**king expensive to cover, OSX, Mac dont use plastic for their products and then comes the design. Yes, u can get a dell with the same specs for $500less and there are people that are fine with that, but u re not gonna get 1" thick chassie, thats this sexy and silent. This war will always go on and unfortunately pc-bots will loose it. That kinds of wars go even in the automobile industry. Why get a ferrari, when u get get a porsche thats sooo much cheaper!? It will never end. Its due to the people who envy or just cant hold on to those extra $500 without spending it on drugs or alcohol ;) Macs are a bit overpriced but then again, apple never aimed at the ultra low end and more mainstream audience. They aim at enthusiasts who love OSX and the whole community around them.

garybUK

Jun 3, 2002
ok, everyone knows that macs are overpriced but its not a bad thing. They use the same parts as pc competitors for the inside hardware. Why u pay more for a mac is simple. Retail stores are f**C**king expensive to cover, OSX, Mac dont use plastic for their products and then comes the design. Yes, u can get a dell with the same specs for $500less and there are people that are fine with that, but u re not gonna get 1" thick chassie, thats this sexy and silent. This war will always go on and unfortunately pc-bots will loose it. That kinds of wars go even in the automobile industry. Why get a ferrari, when u get get a porsche thats sooo much cheaper!? It will never end. Its due to the people who envy or just cant hold on to those extra $500 without spending it on drugs or alcohol ;) Macs are a bit overpriced but then again, apple never aimed at the ultra low end and more mainstream audience. They aim at enthusiasts who love OSX and the whole community around them.

Wrong! if they were aiming at the enthusiasts and community they wouldn't be doing the 'Made of iPod' or closing the iPhone, they would be regularly upgrading the pro apps that people used the pro machines for and not aiming at the iPhone market. Closed vertical tier companies aren't common any more and, I believe, won't last much longer. Look at Sun and SGI hell even HP. Most people are going towards modular cheap component farms that perform better and arguably cheaper to maintain than vertical implementations (linux admins are much easier to get than a IRIX or HPUX admin).

Apple are like gucci has the same form and functions and built by the same labour but slap a badge on and charge an extra £1k. In the PPC world people bought them because they genuinely had an advantage over the x86 in multimedia and DTP but it's no longer the case.

Mastamarek

macrumors regular
Dec 31, 2007
Warsaw, Poland
Wrong! if they were aiming at the enthusiasts and community they wouldn't be doing the 'Made of iPod' or closing the iPhone, they would be regularly upgrading the pro apps that people used the pro machines for and not aiming at the iPhone market. Closed vertical tier companies aren't common any more and, I believe, won't last much longer. Look at Sun and SGI hell even HP. Most people are going towards modular cheap component farms that perform better and arguably cheaper to maintain than vertical implementations (linux admins are much easier to get than a IRIX or HPUX admin).

Apple are like gucci has the same form and functions and built by the same labour but slap a badge on and charge an extra £1k. In the PPC world people bought them because they genuinely had an advantage over the x86 in multimedia and DTP but it's no longer the case.

Wrong! Just becasue Ipods are relatively inexpensive, it doesnt mean that apple aims at mainstream audience. There are other companies with mp3 players that are waaay cheaper then apple. Then again ipods is not a good example. But a mac is. Ipod is a pretty new addition to the apple but u cant really say its an addition to a mac familly. It might be an accessory but thats it. Macs (Mac computers) pretty much since 1984 were never aimed at regular folks who dont really give a crap and check their email once a month.

Apple pro apps are lacking a bit but u eventually do get what u want. Also 90% of mac pro computers and apps are usually bought by people connected with music, film and photography and those apps are updated quite fast.

garybUK

Jun 3, 2002
Wrong! Just becasue Ipods are relatively inexpensive, it doesnt mean that apple aims at mainstream audience. There are other companies with mp3 players that are waaay cheaper then apple. Then again ipods is not a good example. But a mac is. Ipod is a pretty new addition to the apple but u cant really say its an addition to a mac familly. It might be an accessory but thats it. Macs (Mac computers) pretty much since 1984 were never aimed at regular folks who dont really give a crap and check their email once a month.

Well they the hell do they bring iMac, Macbook and Mac Mini out? these are exactly for people who check their e-mail and are sold as a 'halo' affect around the iPod, iPhone etc. You can argue all you want but the most successful product Apple has made is the iPod and that, and that alone, has lead to a market share increase in the computers. Backed up even by the fact they dropped the 'Computer' from 'Apple Computer inc.'

Mastamarek

macrumors regular
Dec 31, 2007
Warsaw, Poland
Well they the hell do they bring iMac, Macbook and Mac Mini out? these are exactly for people who check their e-mail and are sold as a 'halo' affect around the iPod, iPhone etc. You can argue all you want but the most successful product Apple has made is the iPod and that, and that alone, has lead to a market share increase in the computers. Backed up even by the fact they dropped the 'Computer' from 'Apple Computer inc.'

Well, those are recent addition to the mac family as well. Apple originally had mostly pro products and didnt care for lower end specs machines that much. first 17" laptop in the world ever was a powerbook not a an ibook. All of those imac and other i-things are a result of people complaining about how they cant get a mac as they dont need a pro machine and want to experience the mac community as well. ipods did help with mac sales as due to the ipod we can now see all those imacs and other combinations as everyone who owns an ipod wants a mac now. Apple does aim with those mac at a more regular folks but they are still pretty powerful experience, that uses OSX. Sony charges much more for their all-in-one design pc's and ofcourse they cant match imacs reliability, built quality, CS, design etc etc. Apple will always be in heart for more pro users and Mac OS X users since thats were they came from.

Jstickley

macrumors newbie
Mar 10, 2009
Drink the koolaid some more kiddies!

Btw, for the OP and any other "fruitstand" visitor. Do you realize that the INTEL chip, was designed to run PC's? Like I see, "Core 2 Duo" in some peoples signature, the same people who dog on pc's.. Well let me ask you this....

HOW DOES IT FEEL TO KNOW THAT YOUR MAC, IS BEING RUN BY THE POWERPLANT DESIGNED FOR A PC?

Look theres no denying that apple makes a nice product, but christ, whats the point of actually arguing about it? Some people like a Ford, others a Chevy, who cares who made it, they both accomplish the same thing, and in the same manner.

Jesse

steveza

macrumors 68000
Feb 20, 2008
UK
Microsoft had two product families;

Dos based: Windows 3, 3.1, 3.11, 95, 98, ME

NT based: Windows NT 3.1, 3.5, 4.0, 5.0 (2000), 5.1 (XP), 5.2 (XP 64bit, 2003 Server), 6.0 (Vista), 6.1 (Windows 7)

Since XP there hasn't been a DOS based OS from Microsoft.

And it's LINUX not LINIX :p
I'm amazed that nobody picked up on that or has this already been discussed elsewhere?

Sdashiki

macrumors 68040
Aug 11, 2005
Behind the lens

Btw, for the OP and any other "fruitstand" visitor. Do you realize that the INTEL chip, was designed to run PC's? Like I see, "Core 2 Duo" in some peoples signature, the same people who dog on pc's.. Well let me ask you this....

HOW DOES IT FEEL TO KNOW THAT YOUR MAC, IS BEING RUN BY THE POWERPLANT DESIGNED FOR A PC?

Look theres no denying that apple makes a nice product, but christ, whats the point of actually arguing about it? Some people like a Ford, others a Chevy, who cares who made it, they both accomplish the same thing, and in the same manner.

Jesse

Who cares. The PPC chip is on a couple of spaceprobes heading out of our solar system. But they arent running OSX.

Pnut13

macrumors member
Feb 9, 2009

Jesse

you come in with the point that apples run on processors originally developed for pc's, which is a fine point
then you try to look non biased by mentiopning that some people like a Ford and others like a Chevy

well you need to look at a few things
-the processors werent the old ones developed for PC's stuck into macs, they were designed for Macs.
-you are saying "why argue about it", when in the previous statement you attack and try to start an argument about that it is from Intel that used to make PC chips....then try to act like you are above attacking others? that is hypocritical.
-Being a person that recently bought a mac after years of using a pc i can tell you that they are not used for te same thing by all end users

Now if you or most pthers just use it for email and picture storage that is fine, but many people use PC's and Macs for specific reasons.
PC run games better
Macs are great for photo editiong and video editing and high end computer graphics progs.

so they do actually do differrent things so saying they are like Ford and Chevy is wrong because especially those two maanufacturers the end consumer uses their trucks for construction applications, where as Macs are used for video, high end photo editing and PC's are for gaming

SO you coming on here trying to tell people what to do is wrong because you dont even have your facts right and you have barely been on here like me. So come correct next time.

Herbert123

macrumors regular
Mar 19, 2009
I have always worked with both macs and pc's. I like macs more, mainly for its os. I am a web/graphic/3d designer btw.

I owned a mac pro g5 up to a week ago. I was waiting for the new mac pro, but decided to switch to a i7 920@3.6ghz, 12gb ddr3, nvidia 280gtx 1gb, 1gb drive, antec 1200 tower this week, all first grade components with at least 3 years of warranty (and some have life time warranty). Why? Multiple reasons - though I love the mac, and Vista 64bit takes getting used to, the new pricing irked me no end.

I bought this machine for $1500 (including vista 64bit ultimate) - and it's as fast and more expandable (12 drive bays!) than the mac model I wanted (the 2.66 model with raid), but at a cost difference of almost 1 to 4. (not including the extra $100 dvi adapter I needed for my dual screens) ;-)

Of course, I am comparing apples with pears - no general Apple support, and I had to built and install it from scratch by myself (which took a day - on the other hand, no waiting for parts, which I bought at a local retail store). And I overclocked to 3.6Ghz (which took two minutes at most).

But still; $5,799.00 versus $1500, with the graphics card and single thread performance out-performing the mac pro - I just couldn't justify that, not with how things are these days. I am thinking about buying a copy of Leopard and installing it - lots of people doing that now.

Still feel sad about having to let go of the mac 'way'.

FX120

macrumors 65816
May 18, 2007
I'm amazed that nobody picked up on that or has this already been discussed elsewhere?

It has to do with application compatability.

http://windowsteamblog.com/blogs/windowsvista/archive/2008/10/14/why-7.aspx

"We learned a lot about using 5.1 for XP and how that helped developers with version checking for API compatibility. We also had the lesson reinforced when we applied the version number in the Windows Vista code as Windows 6.0-- that changing basic version numbers can cause application compatibility issues. "

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.