Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

Gibson88

macrumors 6502a
Original poster
Sep 25, 2006
United Kingdom
Is it possible to send me it somehow? I live in the UK and its not out here yet. (As long as its free, I don't want to do anything I shouldn't)

Providing it will work it would be much easier than me making a US iTunes account.

Thanks.

shadowness

macrumors regular
Apr 24, 2010
It's not possible to email apps! The only option is to create a US iTunes account and download the app!

pward

macrumors regular
Nov 26, 2008
Is it possible to send me it somehow? I live in the UK and its not out here yet. (As long as its free, I don't want to do anything I shouldn't)

Providing it will work it would be much easier than me making a US iTunes account.

Thanks.

I have the app (and I'm in the UK), but as others have said there is no way to email apps.

The app is only available in the US AppStore and the only way to download it is to use a US iTunes account.

Creating a US iTunes account is fairly straightforward and just requires a valid US address (any valid US address will do); to download free apps (like BBC News) you do not require a US credit card.

Bentron

macrumors 6502
Jul 10, 2008
I have the app, and to be honest, you're not missing much. It can be quite buggy, for example mismatched photos to the stories. I just use the BBC News website.

steviem

macrumors 68020
May 26, 2006
New York, Baby!
Just pick any US Apple Store!
http://www.apple.com/retail/storelist/

NOTE: You need to select a free app to download first, and then create your account from there when prompted, in order to get the "none" option for payment method.

You answered it as I was about to ask!

Looks good so far, shame about the lack of real sport section it seems but it really annoys me that the BBC pandered to Murdoch and aren't releasing this app in the UK. Especially when their redesigned site still uses flash :mad:

Dodgeroo

macrumors regular
Mar 28, 2010
You answered it as I was about to ask!

Looks good so far, shame about the lack of real sport section it seems but it really annoys me that the BBC pandered to Murdoch and aren't releasing this app in the UK. Especially when their redesigned site still uses flash :mad:

I missed that what pandering to Murdock was this?

Phil Lee

macrumors 6502
Mar 19, 2008
Manchester, UK
Some of the sections, including the UK one have stopped updating for me since Wednesday. I've swapped it for a bookmark to the BBC News front page.

Wazzerb

macrumors member
Mar 3, 2009
UK
I downloaded this a few days ago by making a US iTunes account (Google Maps for American address method). Have to say I was a bit disappointed with it. Have gone back to the BBC News bookmark on Safari.

PR.

macrumors regular
Oct 3, 2005
Bedford, UK
No pandering to Murdoch. It's the BBC Trust that's put UK iPhone app development on hold: http://www.guardian.co.uk/media/2010/mar/29/bbc-digital-media

And they've promised non-Flash video on their News website later this year.

Still it was down to the newspapers that have had this paused for months. The BBC News and Sports apps where supposed to be out for the World Cup and there was even going to be an iPlayer app that allowed shows to be downloaded and held on the device (for the 30 days like iPlayer on Mac/PC) but it's all been put on hold by the Trust while it tries not to offend the papers/government.

One Love 1867

macrumors regular
Apr 17, 2009
Sheffield, UK
Seems abit limited on content.

Not really sure why it's so hard to just put everything from the regular website into an App but support video and audio content..

Then again, I personally think the only reason the App is underwhelming is because the website itself is totally sufficient on the iPad. I think this will be a case for a lot of website apps. Just a case of the iPad being too good at what it does to render the necessity for apps abit pointless in alot of cases.

-Ryan-

macrumors 68000
Jan 28, 2009
To those of us with both UK and US iTunes accounts and who have been using the US version; there are several functional differences between the two versions, and they are indeed different. Most notably are the different sections you can view through the App, and also the inclusion of streaming video from BBC News 24. :)

bassanoclapper

macrumors 6502
Mar 4, 2008
London
I have the app (and I'm in the UK), but as others have said there is no way to email apps.

It's not possible to email apps! The only option is to create a US iTunes account and download the app!

Really? Cos if you delete an app from your library then retrieve it from the trash, you can drag and drop onto the iTunes icon or move the ipa file around as you wish

[I do this now and again when I inadvertently update the Shazam app]

I do agree that creating a US account is pretty easy though.
It just means logging into the 2nd account to update your US store apps - which gets tiresome

iphone4

macrumors member
Jul 18, 2008
Yes.

The app I download is different to the app you download. The iTunes account it was downloaded from is embedded in the ipa file.
You can only sync it with iTunes if you have authorised the relevant iTunes account on your PC.
So, you could only use my ipa file, if I give you my iTunes username and password and you authorise with that.

dZp

macrumors 6502a
Mar 29, 2006
Really? Cos if you delete an app from your library then retrieve it from the trash, you can drag and drop onto the iTunes icon or move the ipa file around as you wish
Yes, but it's still your .ipa file DRM'ed with your account details, therefore tied to your account.

The posts you quoted were in relation to sharing the app from one user to another. Not the same thing.

EDIT: I'm a slow typer and got beaten to it!

bassanoclapper

macrumors 6502
Mar 4, 2008
London
Yes.

The app I download is different to the app you download. The iTunes account it was downloaded from is embedded in the ipa file.
You can only sync it with iTunes if you have authorised the relevant iTunes account on your PC.
So, you could only use my ipa file, if I give you my iTunes username and password and you authorise with that.

Ah, thanks, didn't realise that
App DRM makes sense though

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.