To Buy Now or Wait? (MBP)

Discussion in 'MacBook Pro' started by Frozo., Feb 1, 2011.

  1. Frozo. Guest

    #1
    I was planning on waiting for the refresh of the 15" MBP but after seeing the news of Intel and all the trouble they will have for the next couple of months I'm not sure whether I could wait until April / May time before they are sorted and the MBP's are being shipped.

    If I was to buy within the next couple of weeks / end of the month what would I miss out on? Or would it be pretty much the same apart from maybe SB CPUs?

    I might buy from the College Network as I will get a further £100 - £200 discount which will come in handy but I'm not sure as to whether it's very safe :/

    Thanks
     
  2. greytmom macrumors 68040

    greytmom

    Joined:
    Jun 23, 2010
    #2

    Why would an educational discount not be safe?

    No one can really answer your other questions, because no one really knows what Apple has planned. It's all conjecture. Instead of asking what you might be missing, ask yourself if the current model does everything you want it to do (and does it well). If the answer is yes, and you don't want to wait, don't wait.

    If the answer is no, and you aren't in dire need right now, then it may be worth your while to wait.
     
  3. d-boy86 macrumors member

    Joined:
    Jan 19, 2011
    #3
    I believe the over all design of the MBP's will remain the same. I'm not buying into this "liquid metal" thing. It's too expensive to produce and it will also make the laptops heavier and damn right uglier. I say go for it.
     
  4. Frozo. thread starter Guest

    #4
    I would have to purchase it at College and I don't like the idea of entering my personal details on there,

    The specifics of the MBP atm will suit what I need but I don't want to buy one and then they release the updates that they are going to do to them.

    My computer atm is on a slow death, each day it gets slower and slower (Windows 7) and just fed up of it now
     
  5. Benguitar Guest

    Benguitar

    Joined:
    Jan 30, 2009
    #5
    If you really want or need a new MacBook Pro now, Get it.

    Apple will always release new products, So technically, If you really want the "newest" product. You'll ALWAYS have to wait.

    Get what fits your needs best, And be happy with it until it is obsolete or fails.

    :)
     
  6. greytmom macrumors 68040

    greytmom

    Joined:
    Jun 23, 2010
    #6
    There's your answer.
     
  7. Frozo. thread starter Guest

    #7
    True :D

    It's just I would be feeling like I wasted money if I bought one and then they released the information lol

    I might see what happens in the next couple of weeks and go from there :D
     
  8. bvapple macrumors newbie

    Joined:
    Feb 1, 2011
    #8
    IMO nothing will change except for the insides, and even then, is it worth waiting months for .2 more GHZ? Buy buy buy! the time you will spend with your new toy is better than waiting for something that isn't going to change too much.
     
  9. Frozo. thread starter Guest

    #9
    Hmm good point, is the CPU the only thing that would be getting changed? or are there other things that they are planning?
     
  10. greytmom macrumors 68040

    greytmom

    Joined:
    Jun 23, 2010
    #10
    Keep in mind that the "IMO" at the beginning of the previous post means "in my opinion."

    Again, no one knows the answer to your question about what Apple is planning, except Apple.
     
  11. Benguitar Guest

    Benguitar

    Joined:
    Jan 30, 2009
    #11

    ;)

    Just pay attention to the Apple Seminar dates, If you are thinking about buying a new product 2-3 days before an Apple Seminar, I would hold out until the seminar is over and see what Apple released.

    If you are thinking about getting one now, When there is no seminar in the near future (that I know of) go ahead and purchase it. Just because Apple releases a new product doesn't mean the previous generations of that product are automatically obsolete. :)

    PowerBook G4? Obsolete for new software.

    Pre-Unibody MacBook Pros? Not entirely obsolete.
     
  12. Frozo. thread starter Guest

    #12
    I will have to wait a few weeks before I purchase one but by the looks of things I might go for it and saves me waiting for months when there might only be a slight upgrade.

    True, I just think that if something new is out the previous thing is old and should be gone :p

    I will keep an eye out in the next couple of weeks on the seminars to see if there is anything happening and if not I might go ahead with the purchase and try and purchase it off the College Network (still using the apple store)
     
  13. xdbuix macrumors 6502

    Joined:
    Oct 8, 2008
    Location:
    Virginia
    #13
    dont forget to check out Amazon or Macmall. They also offer near $100 off plus free shipping and NO TAX in most cases.

    But, sounds like in your case, you should wait it out
     
  14. Frozo. thread starter Guest

    #14
    I've customised it on the apple store so I will be buying from there :)

    I'm not sure whether I could wait 3 months or so :p lol
     
  15. Benguitar Guest

    Benguitar

    Joined:
    Jan 30, 2009
    #15

    lol Keeping up with the Jones's, eh?
     
  16. Frozo. thread starter Guest

    #16
    I might hold out for a while and see what happens :p :D
     
  17. skiltrip macrumors 68030

    Joined:
    May 6, 2010
    Location:
    New York
    #17
    At this point I'm becoming a fan of buy now. Stability is key to me. And staying a generation behind to insure stability is never a bad move. That's why I currently am very happy still using a Core2Duo. It's proven itself time and time again to be a stable platform for DAW use. And I believe the first gen i5 and i7 have proven themselves too.

    These new Sandy Bridge problems (whether it affects the mobile version or not) is just kind of a reality check about the latest and greatest.

    The refurb store currently seems to have a steady supply of the full 2010 MBP lineup in it at pretty nice prices. This might be the way to go and I might do it myself, even after SB is released.
     
  18. Frozo. thread starter Guest

    #18

    I really want one now :/ lol

    I might purchase the model that is out now after reading what you put, could be a long time before it gets sorted and then it might not be stable, roll on when I've got the money :D
     
  19. NickZac macrumors 68000

    NickZac

    Joined:
    Dec 11, 2010
    #19
    A few months ago I gave the advice to NOT buy the first new models because of kinks and bugs and a lot of people flamed me...now the only thing flaming is their CPU! Feel the burn! Peanut butter jelly time!

    ...sorry
     
  20. srxtr macrumors 6502a

    Joined:
    Jul 1, 2010
    #20
    While that's true, new information on the new MBP and its release date is right around the corner.

    I know I'd feel bad if as soon as I purchase the MBP Apple announces the 2011 models.
     
  21. skiltrip macrumors 68030

    Joined:
    May 6, 2010
    Location:
    New York
    #21
    Lol.

    That was funny. Gave me a good laugh after a grueling evening spent cleaning my kitchen. Thanks for that!
     
  22. Frozo. thread starter Guest

    #22
    One final Yes or No

    Should I buy in the next couple of weeks OR should I wait for the refresh?
     
  23. greytmom macrumors 68040

    greytmom

    Joined:
    Jun 23, 2010
    #23
    Buy now. It will stop you from asking again.

    I'm not kidding, go place your order now. Apple.com. They are waiting for you.
     
  24. Frozo. thread starter Guest

    #24
    What discs come with the MBP?

    I will be adding iWork when I purchase it so wondering whether there will be a disc for it?

    As I was loking at putting a new HDD in there to save me some money
     
  25. greytmom macrumors 68040

    greytmom

    Joined:
    Jun 23, 2010
    #25
    You mean you haven't ordered yet? Come on, I told you to do that over 3 hours ago!

    If you order it with, it will be preinstalled of course, but I imagine they'll send along a disc with it. I'd ask Apple that question.
     

Share This Page