To buy or not to buy Macbook Pro?

Discussion in 'MacBook Pro' started by Politis, Nov 14, 2010.

1. Politis macrumors regular

I wish to buy a MacBook Pro, 15 or 17 inch.
    But the Buyer's Guide Recommendation is: Don't Buy - Updates soon.
    So what to do? Can someone give a more reasonable explanation? :confused:
    Thanks

2. miles01110 macrumors Core

miles01110

Buy one if you need it now, otherwise wait for a while to see if it's updated in the coming months.

3. treveres macrumors newbie

I want to buy a few days before christmas.
    What can i do? Wait until the new released?
    I hope your opinions
    thanks

sorry for my english, i'm spanish

4. Minimoose 360 macrumors 65816

Minimoose 360

If you need it, buy it now. The next update will most likely be minimal at best, possibly better graphics performance.

5. treveres macrumors newbie

Thanks for your answer

Think I'll buy it the next week

6. maflynn Moderator

maflynn

Staff Member

I'd think that the next revision will be with Sandy Bridge and I'd not say that would be minimal. Especially if they include the 13" MBP, which is still using the C2D architecture

7. gonnabuyamacbsh macrumors 6502

Do not buy now. I think the next upgrade will really be worth it. If you absolutely need a laptop just buy a cheap netbook for now. The asus eee pc line are good. I'm holding off until the upgrade in Q1 2011.

8. deeddawg macrumors 604

Wrong approach IMHO. You lose a bunch of money on resale and have to suffer with a subpar system for at least three months or more.

Consider picking up a used mac notebook on craigslist for a decent price and use that until there's a refresh. Then resell it on CL and pick up the new one. If you buy smart and sell smart it'll cost you much less out of pocket in the end.

9. Jookbox macrumors 6502

Personally, I'm waiting. Luckily my 2006 MBP will be fine until then.

10. Tears Apart macrumors 6502a

Tears Apart

I am also hanging on a 2006 1.83 Ghz - the next update better be good :) (although despite its age my lappy is still rock solid!)

11. dzigg macrumors member

Still going strong *knock on wood* with my 3,5 yrs old white macbook... ALMOST bought 15" MBP, but my White MB still adequate for daily work stuff..

Anyways, if you need it now, just buy it.. My only advice is to get the 15" i5 ones, not the Core 2 Duos, because IF there is an upgrade, you won't regret as much.. lol..

12. mongoos150 macrumors 6502a

mongoos150

It'll likely be a small GPU bump. Buy now, live now, be happy now. :)

Worst case, if there is some amazing update (unlikely), you can sell for 90% of what you paid and get the new machine. If you really need what the update brings.

13. Politis, Nov 15, 2010
    Last edited: Nov 15, 2010

Politis thread starter macrumors regular

Thanks friends / amigos
    I get educational discount so the re-selling sounds interesting, but if I buy one it is for 4 years at least with no updates. Anything else does my head in :).
    What puts me off, a little, is the buyer's recommendation in Macrumours Buyer's Guide. In red letters it screams, Don't Buy. But then gives no real explanation why.
    By the way, the 17inch is heavier than many a PC 17 inch laptop... :-(

14. croooow macrumors 65816

croooow

I am in the same boat. I'm ready to get a MacBook and I really like the Pro line but am just waiting to see what happens. I believe the guide is just based on the time frame of past releases.

For example, the 4 versions of the iPhone have been released just about the same time each year since 2007. So one would guess that May 2011 would not be a great time to buy the iPhone 4 if you would be interested in getting the "iPhone 5" that would probably come out the next month.

The Xserve is listed as Don't Buy - Updates soon but since it has been discontinued I would not hold my breath.

Apple does not let anyone officially know when they plan to update something or come out with something new, they just do it and usually seem to have it in stores right away (A notable exception is the iPhone, which because it is a phone had to go through FCC approval which would mean the FCC would be the ones to "announce it" to the public, so Apple did it 6 months early in 2007 so they could control the introduction to the world)

Apple could keep the MacBook Pro line the way it is for months or update it before Christmas. The MacRumours Buyer's Guide can only rely on past releases which Apple does not always follow.

15. maflynn Moderator

maflynn

Staff Member

The reason why you don't see any explanation is because there is not. MacRumors is just that rumors. Based on prior release schedules and what's coming down the pike for chipsets. Its reasonable to expect an update. The consensus is first quarter 2011. That's just a guess, people could be waiting until summer, or even fall for a refresh, and finally even when it does it. The update could be minor and not embracing the new sandy bridge chipsets. We don't know, all that is going around is conjecture.

What many of us try to do, is put off a purchase till the absolutely last moment when we have too. The do not buy recommendation could be there for months because I don't think apple is going to update the MBP line in 2010 at this point.

16. molala macrumors 6502a

Historically, the Powerbooks and MBP's used to be updated roughly every 6 months. I think the 215 average update cycle on the buyer's guide takes into account the last several years, but recently it has been taking longer than (9-10 months was the last duration). So the next update could be Jan-Mar.

If you have a good/adequate machine at the moment, I would just wait. Otherwise, it is worth it to get a new one on your edu discount. I did consider the 15" MBP before my edu discount ran out (I used to work for a university), but realized I was mostly lured by the discount, didn't really need a new computer at that time and could wait. In the UK, you are allowed to use your edu discount on one laptop per academic year so if you got one now, you couldn't use the same discount on the next update. So do check the US edu rules and keep this in mind.

17. deeddawg macrumors 604

If you skim through the Apple Press Release Library (google it, I didn't save the link), they don't seem to do significant announcements in Nov/Dec. Based on past announcements, what's out there now is most likely going to be static now through early January. I would say that a 13" MBP announcement may be immanent in January -- but they may also wait until Sandy Bridge comes out which may push system availability into March/April or later.

It sill all boils down to two simple things: If you need a new system now, and a current offering will meet your needs, then buy it now. If you can wait, then don't buy now.

18. croooow macrumors 65816

croooow

Yes, I would not expect any changes until next year (for any of their products, not just computers) but it is Apple, they could decide to do it one year for whatever reason (but don't hold your breath, they probably won't!) My point is the Buyer's Guide is not a schedule that Apple follows, it's just a guess based on what they have done in the past.

They are probably spending this time working on the new products they will release next year, not finishing up new products to announce in November/December

19. treveres macrumors newbie

thanks to all
    Wait until December if it does not I'll buy the upgrade
    XD

20. croooow macrumors 65816

croooow

I think I will be purchasing a 15" MBP in December (My Christmas bonus will be here soon) even if it is still marked as Don't Buy - Updates soon * on the Buyer's Guide. The asterisk is for the 2.8 GHz Intel Core i7 option they just added. I don't think it's worth the additional $180 so I will be getting the i7 2.66 and the Hi-Res Glossy Display. Can't wait to stop using this Windows machine...

21. electronique macrumors 6502

If you can wait until 22nd Feb, then wait.. If you cannot wait that long, then buy now.

22. thait3n, Nov 15, 2010
    Last edited: Nov 15, 2010

thait3n macrumors newbie

Hypothetical Question

Lets say an individual owns a 15in, i5 (2.4ghz) or i7 (2.66). Would you say that the new cycle (assuming it'll have Sandy Bridge etc..) will be worth it enough to sell these the current i5 or i7 to get these newer models specs when they come out? Or there really won't be to much of a difference at all?

23. croooow macrumors 65816

croooow

Okay, I will ask. What is on February 22?

24. electronique macrumors 6502

An event of some sort - Here is a cryptic clue
    Broken fridge is higher than Yoko Ono

25. mrsir2009 macrumors 604

mrsir2009

It will probably just be a graphical and spec bump. If your not that techy and don't care about that sort of thing them buy it now :) However if you feel the bump will benifit you, then wait till the 22nd of February.