To Buy, or not to buy (yet)

Discussion in 'MacBook Pro' started by Theowl89, Feb 21, 2012.

1. Theowl89 macrumors newbie

So I will eventually be getting a new MacBook Pro. It's really just a question of when at this point.

I have an old MacBook (2007 i believe) and it runs very slow. Slow enough that its an issue when i have more than 3 tabs open on Chrome.

So I will be getting a new Pro before I go off to college this fall (End of August i believe). My question is: Should I wait, in the hopes that there will be a new Pro that comes out before then, or get one now and end my stress.

Apple has announces Mountian Lion will be coming out this Summer, but Summer can be well into September, or it may be pushed back. Apple generally releases new Hardware with their software.

So, should I wait or no?

2. thejadedmonkey macrumors 604

thejadedmonkey

Keep in mind, Intel's new CPUs will be out before June at the latest, so by June at the latest, they'll be updated.

Also, buyers guide says

3. MACAPALOOZA macrumors member

I would wait a few more months. I mean, you have around 6 months before you go to school, and you only have to wait a few months before the update comes out. I believe that the MBP will have a hardware update. And there is most likely still going to be a software update as well.

4. Spink10 macrumors 601

Spink10

Wait til fall - depending on your needs it may last for all your schooling.

5. MACAPALOOZA macrumors member

I agree completely with this

6. techfest macrumors member

why didnt u bother searching this?

if u dont need a computer till college in sept then wait till summer. is it that hard?

actually u my as well wait till the 2015 macbook pros come out

7. shanimal macrumors member

i swear, every time i log in theres another "should i buy now or wait" question, and every time the end answer is the same.

8. Theowl89 thread starter macrumors newbie

Dear Sir,

I would like to formally apologise for making your life a living nightmare. I know this is the first, and most likely last time that we will ever interact, but my presence has obviously made your life quite unbearable.

After Lurking the boards, i saw no diffinative answers to the questions i posed, but the fault is clearly mine, as i must be blind, and simply have not realized it yet.

I will hope to earn your forgiveness in the future, and make your life much less grim

From
    Sir

9. roofz macrumors regular

Even if you knew the release date for the Mbp, you still wouldn't have a definitive answer to your question.

10. that1guyy macrumors 6502

TC I suggest waiting for the 2015 models. Those will be a doozy. :p

But seriously, look at the other threads. If you need one now, buy it now. Wait if you don't need one immediately. If the new ones come out and are not to your liking, you can buy the current ones in the refurb store for cheap!

Personally, I'm waiting for the 2012s!

11. Burrel macrumors regular

Jeeze, do you guys realise how unfunny all the 'wait until 2013/2014/2015' jokes are!?

12. maflynn Moderator

maflynn

Staff Member

don't worry about Mountain Lion coming out in september. Base your decision on whether the hardware will be available in the summer and everyone's expectation is that we'll see Ivy Bridge in that time frame.

My recommendation is to wait because you don't need it now, there's no harm if you do hold off

13. Lisa89 macrumors newbie

If you can wait, wait. Then, you can buy one for your needs when you go off to college. You will be more happy with your brand new device :D

If it's just browsing and regular use for now, you could maybe upgrade the ram for a few dollars. (just don't spend too much, keep in mind that it's already an old computer - but for the time being it could make your device run smoother)

14. miniConvert macrumors 68040

miniConvert

A 2007 MBP shouldn't be struggling massively with, for example, Chrome with 3 tabs open. Maybe you need to do a reinstall or maybe you need more RAM/a better HDD, but you should be able to tune it up enough to keep it going a little longer.

I say this because, as you don't need a new machine until the end of the summer, it's probably worth waiting.

I just got a Late 2011, and love it. My needs outweighed any desire to wait-and-see what's next. That generally applies to any such situation.

15. maflynn Moderator

maflynn

Staff Member

My problem is my wants outweigh my needs, i.e., wanting it now and not waiting :p

16. VFC, Feb 22, 2012
    Last edited: Feb 22, 2012

VFC macrumors 6502a

We all know that when we buy something new it brings a temporary feeling of pleasure. Medically speaking, the brain releases dopamine (you can Google it to understand the impact on the brain and happiness) when we purchase a product (more so if it's a discretionary sexy product).

I believe that the potential for a dopamine release is one of the main reasons people have difficulty making the wait or buy decision. Many people don't need a new laptop within the next three or so months. Sure they have some thinly veiled reasons to justify an immediate purchase. But if the potential buyer, through some unforeseen circumstance, could not make the purchase for a few more months, over 90% would be perfectly fine (the world would not end). However, the lure of a dopamine release (very similar to what a drug addict craves btw) is a powerful incentive to justify an immediate purchase. The problem is that once you make a dopamine driven purchase, you'll soon need another fix.

17. Winter Charm macrumors 6502a

Winter Charm

Definitely wait. It will be worth it - especially if the new macbook pros have retina displays.

18. Adamantoise macrumors 6502a

Lol, you guys are ridiculous. It's assertive statements like this that makes people like the OP think you guys have all the answers.

You have absolutely no idea if the next revision of the Macbook Pro will be worth it, none whatsoever. So please stop talking like you do.

19. techfest macrumors member

in other words, the OP needs help

20. Adamantoise macrumors 6502a

Couldn't have said it better. Mind you we're all guilty of this ... But realizing that said affliction is one of the greatest things you can do for your fiscal responsibility.

21. VFC macrumors 6502a

We all do....lol. The most successful companies in a capitalistic society know how to maximize the release of dopamine. Apple being one, if not the most successful company, at doing just that. I can't think of any other company that has people lined up at stores the day before each new product is released. Us weak-minded, pleasure-seeking consumers don't stand a chance.

22. Adamantoise macrumors 6502a

Lol you're clearly not a photographer. You guys think Apple computers are expensive? I invite you to take a look at Canon's DSLR Lenses.

(I'm not talking about the cheap garbage that comes free with your camera purchase, but rather the lenses that are worth owning if you're serious about photography, I've sunk $6,000, made most of it back by selling off some of my gear though)

23. VFC, Feb 22, 2012
    Last edited: Feb 22, 2012

VFC macrumors 6502a

Actually I am a photographer, but I have never stood in line overnight to buy any of my expensive camera bodies and lens when they were first released.....lol. In fact, I have not seen or heard of any lines forming when new expensive camera bodies or lens are released. Now I shutter to think what would happen if Apple marketed an iDSLR.......

24. Adamantoise macrumors 6502a

Well the purchases are all online true, but they're ridiculously expensive lol.

25. techfest macrumors member

is there gonna be a replacment for the entry levle DSLRS for the nikon d5100 or canon t3i soon?