To buy or not to buy..

Discussion in 'MacBook Pro' started by byardley, Mar 20, 2013.

1. byardley macrumors newbie

Before I spend $2000 on the 15 inch Macbook Pro retina display I was wondering if there was a new model coming out soon? Would it be worth to wait for the new model? I don't want to buy it now and then 2 months later a much cheap and much faster model come out. What do you guys think? Buy now?

2. Peace macrumors Core

Peace

If you can wait a couple of months until the WWDC to see what Apple does then I would say wait.

3. DanielCoffey, Mar 21, 2013
    Last edited by a moderator: Mar 21, 2013

DanielCoffey macrumors 65816

DanielCoffey

You could look at the Buyers Guide for advice and information on "days since last update". Click the big Buyers Guide button at the top of the screen.

4. vatter69 macrumors 6502a

vatter69

Or read one of the literally gazillion other threads with exactly the same topic ;)

5. Ultra AleM macrumors 6502a

Ultra AleM

If you can, wait until June. If you cannot, buy it.

6. yusukeaoki macrumors 68030

yusukeaoki

Yeah then only 11~13 months after your purchase, a new faster one would come out!:rolleyes:

7. maflynn Moderator

maflynn

Staff Member

Intel is due to come out with Haswell in June - so we'll probably not see a new MBP until August

8. byardley thread starter macrumors newbie

Yeah I looked at the buyers guide and they said you should buy.... but wasn't the update in Feb. only minor? Do you think their will be a considerable upgrade announced at WWDC?

9. B... macrumors 68000

B...

Haswell as the potential for a better iGPU,better battery lfe,quad core 13"retinas. Not saying that will happen, but those are pretty considerable. Also lower prices and/or higher base SSD possible.

10. octavianguti macrumors newbie

Does that mean the latest retina model of 15 inches can not go beyond 16 gigs of ram? Which means there will be no 32gigs of ram for that model?

11. B... macrumors 68000

B...

Currently yes. But with DDR4 in 2014, anything is possible.

12. octavianguti macrumors newbie

So if u don't mind me asking, do that mean the latest retina's ram is replaceable unlike the previous one, or is it just the ram industry is not at 64 yet? Thanks for responding as I am considering in getting one or thinking should i just sit for the next press con. Thanks for responding once again....

13. B... macrumors 68000

B...

Apple is moving to non replaceable RAM so any next generations will not be as well. Currently you can only get 64 BTO in the MP, and the RAM industry is currently 4-8 standard. 32 will not be for years.

14. octavianguti macrumors newbie

So any Retina mac's ram is irreplaceable regardless whether it's the last year's gen and this year's gen or even the future gens as you suggested. Is that correct? Thanks once again!

15. B... macrumors 68000

B...

All retina computers have irreplaceabe RAM and always will (I think). So do the recent Air gens (2010 on). In one word, yes.

16. octavianguti macrumors newbie

17. B... macrumors 68000

B...

No problem. Good luck with buying a new computer!

18. octavianguti macrumors newbie

Well, after going online and doing some research. Here is my situation, I have the first gen 2.66 15 inches i7 mbp, 8gb of ram. The performance has been fine, doing preimere, PS, Au....though I was told mine should be able to cope with 16 gbs of ram, and with 16 gbs of ram slotted in my old one. I really don't feel like spending over 3gs on a fancier display without the capability to go beyond 16 gb of ram. Does that make sense to anyone?

Can anyone confirm whether it is true that the model above can be supported with 16gbs of ram.... Many Thx once again!!!!

19. splitpea macrumors 6502a

If you mean the mid-2010 one, I have the same model. My research seems to indicate that 8GB is the max RAM it supports.

20. splitpea macrumors 6502a

21. octavianguti macrumors newbie

Oh thx, I guess the chances of me getting RMBP is now higher, thx for tell me that, dude!!!

22. adjeff8 macrumors 6502

adjeff8

Yeah, yesterday when I was reading your thread and I saw the comment about the Buyers Guide up top, so I went there and saw that. To me that just doesn't count. That was a VERY minor spec bump and a price drop for the 13". I'm in the market for the 15" and nothing worth talking about happened to the 15". There are some internal part replacements and the benefits of that are still not clear to me. 36 days my rear end. As far as I'm concerned the last 15" rMBP was released last June , some 279 days ago. Expect a 2nd generation in July or more likely August

23. Bokes macrumors 6502

That's almost half a year away.
    Buy now.

IMO- You really only see an honest, real world difference if you wait at least 3 or 4 generations.

Just got back from Apple store.
    I was in to check out the 13inch- but the 15 is something else!
    I'm considering ditching my cinema display and going back to a simple laptop.
    The 15 is very sweet.
    I went back and forth between 3 machines:
    I witnessed a slight lag on the 13inch, but none on the 15.
    And no IR on either one.

Apple care should cover any serious IR (if it happens)
    So if you're worried pay for the care (insurance)
    I had a screen issue years ago and because I had Apple care- they gave me a brand new machine in exchange. I didn't even have to fight for it.

24. adjeff8 macrumors 6502

adjeff8

Eh...Only 3+ months or so. Worth the wait. You are right about 3 generations or so, but I can't wait that long. My 2009 is killing me. But there should be SOME improvements/Fixes. At the very least I'm expecting a bigger SSD and a minor price drop. I'm sure there will be some fixes as well. You're right about that 15". She sure is a sweet machine. I go to the Apple store just to visit with her every few weeks. Just a monster. Couldn't imagine why anybody would choose a 13" over that one. I'm already used to the footprint, and the weight is a improvement over my current laptop. July can't get here quick enough for me