To buy or not to buy?

Discussion in 'MacBook Pro' started by cheddar-caveman, Apr 10, 2013.

  1. cheddar-caveman macrumors newbie

    Joined:
    Oct 25, 2012
    #1
    I am updating my laptop and am pretty impressed with the new rMBP 15". Light, good looking graphics, good processor etc BUT.... reading several posts on here there seem to be a few potential problems looming if I buy one, not the least this Haswell USB thing.
    Are there a lot of problems? What should I be asking Apple before buying? £1500+ is a lot-a-dosh for a potential lot-a-headaches!
     
  2. Orlandoech macrumors 68040

    Orlandoech

    Joined:
    Jun 2, 2011
    Location:
    Salt Lake City, UT
    #2
    1. If you dont like it, return it within 14-days.
    2. If defect happens, it has a 1-year warranty
    3. Buy WorthAveGroup.com or SquareTrade.com insurance for accidental incidents.
     
  3. cheddar-caveman thread starter macrumors newbie

    Joined:
    Oct 25, 2012
    #3
    Good advice - thanks.
     
  4. Orlandoech macrumors 68040

    Orlandoech

    Joined:
    Jun 2, 2011
    Location:
    Salt Lake City, UT
    #4
    ;) Welcome.
     
  5. tivoboy macrumors 68030

    Joined:
    May 15, 2005
    #5
    what?

    what is the "haswell usb thing" ?
     
  6. pedrofan macrumors 6502

    Joined:
    Jun 9, 2008
    #6
    I was thinking the same as you in january and I bought it. The first one had te left usb dead. They exchanged the whole computer. The second one had horrible retention problems. I sent it to apple service and they exchanged the logic board because they told me it was broken. The image retention persisted. I sent it back to see if they exchange the display. I'm waiting. If you want to spend 2000$ or more to beta test the next generation of macbook pros that are going to be realeased in two or three months, just join us.
     
  7. adjeff8 macrumors 6502

    adjeff8

    Joined:
    Nov 18, 2012
    #7
    The "Word" is that when Haswell gets released, in July or August, the first batch will trickle out in small numbers due to a glitch in the Haswell processor. The Glitch is that when you put the computer to sleep and wake it up the devices connected to the USB 3.0 ports don't get read. So you have to restart the device or unplug the reinsert into the USB. Then there was a report that it's only with SOME thumb drives. Nobody know for sure but this could delay the mass release of a MBP with Haswell, which is what I call a TRUE 2nd generation retina MPB, until the Holiday season. Which sucks!
     
  8. saturnotaku macrumors 68000

    Joined:
    Mar 4, 2013
    #8
    If you have homeowner's or renter's insurance, see if they have a "personal items policy" you can take out. It could end up being cheaper than either of these. It costs me less than $50/year. It covers both accidental damage and theft.
     
  9. Satori macrumors 6502a

    Satori

    Joined:
    Jun 22, 2006
    Location:
    London
    #9
    Looks like the Haswell USB bug has been fixed:

    http://www.tomshardware.com/news/Haswell-S3-Sleep-Problem-PCN,21896.html
     
  10. cheddar-caveman thread starter macrumors newbie

    Joined:
    Oct 25, 2012
    #10
    This "fix" release is only dated a couple of days ago so the computers on the shelf now could still have the problem?

    The "retention" problem sounds a pain as well!

    I bought this Mac Air back in 2011 and have no problems at all so might be a case of pot luck!
     
  11. Serban Suspended

    Joined:
    Jan 8, 2013
    #11
    i think late this month will begin the production..so nobody will have this issue due to fact that they fixed it
     
  12. cheddar-caveman thread starter macrumors newbie

    Joined:
    Oct 25, 2012
    #12
    Speaking with my computer savy son I understand that there is a "new release" of the MBP coming out shortly? That being the case I'm thinking to wait for them. I'd like to think that all the current glitches will be sorted but then again, being "all new" there will probably be others as yet unknown!
    I guess it's a case of you pays your money and you takes your chances!
     
  13. andy9l macrumors 68000

    Joined:
    Aug 31, 2009
    Location:
    England, UK
    #13
    Depends what you mean by "soon" ;)

    Late Summer at the earliest, most likely. I too am waiting for the new release - the current MBPs are a bit...sketchy. I'm not one for gambling - and £2000 is a big stake.
     
  14. cheddar-caveman thread starter macrumors newbie

    Joined:
    Oct 25, 2012
    #14
    My thoughts exactly Andy91. Give me a bit more time to accumulate the cash and also is then very near birthday time :D:D
     
  15. andy9l macrumors 68000

    Joined:
    Aug 31, 2009
    Location:
    England, UK
    #15
    Ha - even better! ;)

    If you were asking this a couple of months ago, I'd have said to get one because of the wait - but you're kind of in that awkward time period where people who need are still buying, and those who want one are starting to wait. In a month or two, those who need one will start to wait too.

    By the sounds of it, you "want one" :p
     
  16. inlinevolvo macrumors 6502

    Joined:
    Jul 11, 2012
    #16
    Haswell isn't even out yet and you are worried about a discovered bug prior to release? Isn't that the whole purpose of pre release testing. I'm not sure what there is to worry about.
     
  17. AppleFanatic10 macrumors 68030

    AppleFanatic10

    Joined:
    Nov 2, 2010
    Location:
    Encino, CA
    #17
    Before the 1 year warranty ends you have the ability to buy an additional 2 years of AppleCare.
     
  18. johnnyturbouk macrumors 68000

    johnnyturbouk

    Joined:
    Feb 9, 2011
    Location:
    on the yellow [oled] brick road to tech nirvana.
    #18
    i too was contemplating copping a brand shiny new rMBP
    With the 15% educational discount and added apple care for free - tempted me further!

    However, i really feel like waiting for haswell will mean, a lot of the early issues will of been resolved.

    Finally i can use usb3
    - sorry, but TB for peripheral storage has been a bit of a titanic fail!
     
  19. cheddar-caveman, Apr 15, 2013
    Last edited: Apr 15, 2013

    cheddar-caveman thread starter macrumors newbie

    Joined:
    Oct 25, 2012
    #19
    At a COST! We're talking £270+
    That's a lot of money on top of the £1800!
     
  20. MrGimper macrumors 601

    MrGimper

    Joined:
    Sep 22, 2012
    Location:
    Andover, UK
    #20
    The bugged version is stepping C1 and the fixed version is C2.

    I read somewhere that Intel had informed customers (I assume integrators, including Apple) that they "should expect to get a mixture of C1 and C2 material"

    This implies that some will have the bug and they didn't catch it in time.
     
  21. AppleFanatic10 macrumors 68030

    AppleFanatic10

    Joined:
    Nov 2, 2010
    Location:
    Encino, CA
    #21
    Yes. I understand that, but trust me it's worth it. I belive a couple years ago it was only $199? I could be wrong, but I don't remember it being that much.:eek:
     
  22. jNSK macrumors newbie

    Joined:
    Apr 9, 2013
    #22
    Since when do you get added AppleCare for free when using educational discount?
     
  23. cheddar-caveman thread starter macrumors newbie

    Joined:
    Oct 25, 2012
    #23
    Where is that on oiffer???
     
  24. andy9l, Apr 16, 2013
    Last edited: Apr 16, 2013

    andy9l macrumors 68000

    Joined:
    Aug 31, 2009
    Location:
    England, UK
    #24
    It's not an offer. You get AppleCare for £80 as a student in the UK - at least, that's what I was offered last time I bought something.
     
  25. MH01 macrumors G4

    MH01

    Joined:
    Feb 11, 2008
    #25
    When it comes to Apple computers, I tend to never buy one just when they are released, from past experience they always have some issues etc.

    I usually wait a couple of months for these to be ironed out. Apple will never acknowledge they have changed components in that time, but they work with the supplier to iron these out.

    The current MBPr is very good, you probably will not see Haswell ones till late Q3-Q4 this year.

    Given the usual Tick tock Intel jumps, your probably looking at 10-15% performance upgrade. If that matter for you wait. If it does not the current model is great, get a Samsung screen one ;)

    ----------

    Look on ebay. You will find its alot cheaper. Have a search.

    Also you do not have to buy Applecare here in the UK. You can buy it from anywhere around the world. The last 5 I have bought have been from the states, never had an issue, and soooo much cheaper. I have bought it overseas and had to code mailed to me within minutes.

    If you look on ebay, always go with sellers with very high ratings. Thats the only advice I can give you.

    ----------

    was that one a notebook or another product?
     

Share This Page