Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

spinedoc77

macrumors G4
Jun 11, 2009
See here:

http://www.bbc.co.uk/news/technology-14949869

Windows 8 tablets will avoid it. Wonder what this means for Android Flash could be seen as pointless and IPad sales could keep going up anyway?

So looks lie HTML 5 is the future Flash is last years news.

Yeah it looks like we are near the end for Flash. I've advocated Flash before because I didn't want a crippled device like the iphone/ipad, and because I've never had any issues using it on Android or my PC. But I have to say I've had my eyes opened these past couple of months I've been using Lion OSx. OSx doesn't have the best memory management to begin with, it's very sluggish, but every time I throw Flash at it my entire laptop just slows down and once in a while even freezes until I go into the task manager and close the Flash container. I can see why you OSx guys get all riled up, while Flash in my experience runs just fine on android/windows it is a complete POS on the mac.

The way I see it is I've suffered thru a couple of years of not having Flash, as a consumer I've taken my fair share of the hit for Apple and the rest of the tech community. Looking at Win8 and what they are trying to accomplish I feel like they are going to be a big player out there, possibly eating up Android and making it a 2 player market again with Apple. If a company like Microsoft axed Flash even stubborn guys like me have to see the writing on the wall, at least in the mobile space. In the end I don't care how the content is delivered, just that it is delivered and in a way that makes sense.

Carouser

macrumors 65816
Feb 1, 2010
baldi, whatever. We've already had this argument. I'm not interested in repeating it here (and thus won't).

I'm completely for the OPTION for individuals to be able to install a Flash player on iDevices they own and NOT forcing a Flash player on anyone else. Those that wouldn't want it for whatever reason would not install it. Net effect on them: nada. Those that do want it would get more utility out of hardware they own.

I can only see an option to choose for oneself as better than some corporation- even our favorite corporation- choosing for everyone. That lots of people on MacRumors agrees with the latter is fine too. But it doesn't change the fact that some- myself included- would rather get to choose for themselves then have others choose for them.

It's clear that you're not interested in having a discussion, because the implications and contradictions of your position have been patiently laid out in many threads yet you just repeat your point. You also persistently mischaracterize those in conversation with you.

FloatingBones

macrumors 65816
Jul 19, 2006
No. At no point did I differentiate between I5 and ARM tablets. I'm saying his statement is unproven because no one has seen an ARM tablet running W8. However, we have seen is an I5 tablet running an early W8 build and it plays flash content in desktop mode IE.

Actually, @fizzwinkus comment is correct: nobody at all knows what will run on ARM machines when they are released. This is very different from what you said earlier in the thread:

In Metro mode. When you switch to the full Windows 8 browser you get Flash. So you get a choice, and that's what its all about.

The only public devices that are actually switchable from one to the other are the prototypes given out to developers at the Build conference, and they contained an i5 processor.

One must be very careful what is said in a discussion like this. Somebody who read that your earlier could easily infer that one could trivially flip back and forth between Metro mode and Windows 8 mode. Actually, no evidence has been presented that one can run Windows 8 mode at all on an ARM processor.

Show me a W8 Gold Master running on an ARM tablet.

You've got it backwards. You made the claim; you need to defend it.

"Adobe’s platform general manager, Danny Winokur, posted an official response on the Adobe Blog addressing concerns regarding Flash support in Windows 8′s Metro UI. Winokur reminds that Flash will still be supported in the Windows 8 desktop interface, just not in the touch-friendly Metro tablet interface."

So regular computers will run Flash just fine on Windows 8 and there are significantly more regular computers connected to the internet than there are tablets.

Again, this is a very different claim than the one you initially made in the thread.

Users of iOS devices is a significantly increasing area of the marketplace. Microsoft sees the tablet market as significant, and they seem to be creating an ARM device with Flash-free browsers -- just like Apple. Amazon has been very tight-lipped, but I'm guessing their device will also be Flash-Free.

Website owners will ignore this significant-and-growing segment of devices at their peril.

I'm completely for the OPTION for individuals to be able to install a Flash player on iDevices they own and NOT forcing a Flash player on anyone else. Those that wouldn't want it for whatever reason would not install it. Net effect on them: nada. Those that do want it would get more utility out of hardware they own.

Here's a fundamental problem with your argument: Flash and accessibility are mutually exclusive. Websites that impose us with Flash are deliberately excluding the segment of the population that need accessibility-adapters.

How can we ever get to an accessible web without flushing Flash?

That's the question that none of the Flash-advocates here can answer. Would you like to take a stab at it?

I can only see an option to choose for oneself as better than some corporation- even our favorite corporation- choosing for everyone.

When you look in the context of accessibility, I hope you see the irony of your words. Why should some corporation be entitled to impose access-hostile content on the world wide web? Why should Adobe get to choose for everyone?

That lots of people on MacRumors agrees with the latter is fine too. But it doesn't change the fact that some- myself included- would rather get to choose for themselves than have others choose for them.

Accessibility is definitely the blind spot of the Flash-advocates. It is definitely the blind spot of Adobe.

darngooddesign

macrumors P6
Jul 4, 2007
Atlanta, GA
I will clarify.

Flash is not supported in Metro mode, but is supported in W8 desktop mode. This has been demonstrated on an i5-based tablet running an early build of the OS. You are correct to say that there is no proof of desktop mode for ARM devices. However, considering Msoft's single-OS strategy it is more likely to happen than not because there is already Flash for ARM processors.

Last edited:

FloatingBones

macrumors 65816
Jul 19, 2006
Floating, just like with Baldi, I'm not going to rehash the arguments in the other thread here.

What you do need to do, Darryl, is be accountable when you make a factual error in a posting. I noted your error and you never addressed it.

The quarter billion number you present pretends that it's all unique users rather than recognizing that many of those units are the same people buying newer iDevices as upgrades come out.

I didn't say 250M users; I said 250M devices.

We're still waiting for you to explain how this number of devices can be explained away as a small minority.

It's not 250 Million unique iDevice users; the number you reference is all iDevices made to that point in time. Do you really believe that all iDevices ever made are all still in use by individual users or is there no room to believe that maybe original iPhone users have updated to a newer iPhone(s), that iPad1 buyers have upgraded to iPad 2s, that iPod Touch users have bought newer touches? Yes, the total units ever made tally may indeed by 250M+, but if I've upgraded iDevices- say- 3 times, it's not that I'm 3 unique users using iDevices (I'm 3 of those 250M+). Some people upgrade with every new version of every iDevice. They might be 5, 6, or 7+ of that 250M+ tally. Unique users is not equal to total units ever made.

That's why I said a quarter-billion iOS devices.

As to "small minority" that was in reference to the concept that one cannot fully embrace HTML5 as a complete replacement for Flash now if they want to do so. If we waved a magic wand to today and made all websites everywhere HTML5, only a small minority capable of displaying HTML5 sites could access them. If the lack of Flash on an iDevice makes that user feel like part of the Internet is broke, HTML5 suddenly in place everywhere would make tons of users feel like the whole Internet is broke.

No, that wasn't at all how you used the term "small minority":

Unless of course the website really needs mixed media, interactive media, etc, for which then you need to go with solutions that work for the whole world of Internet users (Flash) plus the relatively small minority (iDevice users) locked out of Flash.

Once I recognized that you would only see "facts" that supported the anti-Flash view and ignore "facts" that were contrary, I realized that argument was futile to continue there... and here.

Actually, it looks like you didn't at all believe the quarter-billion iOS device number. You made some sarcastic comments trying to dismiss it.

I provided the chain or reasoning and facts why I strongly believe we're well over the quarter-billion iOS device today. You didn't dispute anything I said.

@Darryl: in the third week of October, we will know the numbers. If Apple isn't significantly over the 250M number in this quarter, I will publicly apologize to you.

If Apple is well over the 250M number, will you publicly apologize here?

Anyone who believes the total number of iDevices ever sold are all still in use and are all being used by a unique user (thus 250M+ unique users) [SNIP]

Who exactly are you arguing against? I never said that is was unique users. That is not what we were discussing in the other thread. Please stop arguing against straw men, Daryl.

should buy your arguments about impending tipping points, etc.

If you disagree, you should present your reasons and facts. But arguing against something we weren't even discussing sounds rather silly.

I'm done here. Objective minds should seek out such information for themselves.

When you make indefensible claims in a discussion, you should account for them. You should also avoid launching into straw-man discussions. Thanks, Darryl.

And given it's propagation and most mainstream standard for multimedia, animation and video on the World Wide Web,

It was a de facto standard. It was never a mainstream standard, and it certainly isn't an open standard. It's a proprietary standard with a player available from a single vendor.

Please be very careful in using spin-words in the discussion.

it is still THE way to do things that HTML5 is still far from doing and have that stuff playable on the vast majority of Internet-connected devices all over the world (except iDevices of course... but only because Steve chose to forbid it, not because it couldn't work on iDevices).

Please stop trying to claim that this was Steve's personal decision. That's another spin-phrase. The decision was actually a corporate decision.

Jobs wrote a memo about Apple's decision. He noted the accessibility problem as the most important reason for iOS being Flash-free. I have never seen a competent response to that point from Adobe or any of the Flash-advocates. Do they not understand that accessibility on the web is a problem? Do they not understand at Flash and accessibility are mutually exclusive?

Most importantly though, like any other "useless" app in the app store (for you or me), if it was available as an option, YOU wouldn't need to install it. And if the world of iDevice users agreed with your view of it, they wouldn't install it either (just like any other "bad" app tends to not get installed on many devices). When a superior technology replaces a buggy, battery burning, "crash my Safari 10 times a day" technology it does so because it is superior not because some corporation decides to forbid the established technology.

If the goal is getting to an accessible web, than Flash needs to be flushed. Deliberately limiting iOS devices will definitely help to accelerate that process.

We saw one of the major benchmarks to flushing Flash last week: Adobe's streaming servers now provide an open-protocol option for all streaming data. The shift is dramatic: Adobe used to argue that media only available in Flash was a compelling reason that all devices must have Flash.

Individual choices should trump corporate mandates.

If we as a society choose to have an accessible web, does that trump Adobe's corporate mandate to have an inaccessible technology on the web.

If what the corporation believes really is the best way forward, it will happen anyway... because it is the best way forward.

The point is that it will now happen much faster -- thanks to the decisive actions of Apple Corporation.

darngooddesign

macrumors P6
Jul 4, 2007
Atlanta, GA
When you include laptops and desktops that have de-installed Adobe Flash and corporations that don't allow Flash, even you should agree that there are already over a quarter-billion Flash-free devices in the world.

Usage like this implies that all iOS devices are being used as web browsers in a meaningful way and not as iPods because the users have upgraded to faster versions. So that number, which doesn't account for their disuse is tiny compared to the total number of computers sold since 2000. Many of those are no longer in use, in any meaningful way, due to the owners having faster computers.

To sum up. Isn't quoting raw numbers fun?

fizzwinkus

macrumors 6502a
Jan 27, 2008
I will clarify. Flash is not supported in Metro mode, but is supported in W8 desktop mode. This has been demonstrated on an i5-based tablet running an early build of the OS. You are correct to say that there is no proof of desktop mode for ARM devices.
i agree 100%
However, considering Msoft's single-OS strategy it is more likely to happen than not because there is already Flash for ARM processors.

I can also say that it is more likely not to happen because of microsoft's heavy handed insistence that legacy intel software will not run on arm.

And the reality is no one knows.

FloatingBones

macrumors 65816
Jul 19, 2006
I will clarify.

Flash is not supported in Metro mode, but is supported in W8 desktop mode. This has been demonstrated on an i5-based tablet running an early build of the OS.

The fact that the demo machines distributed to developers were tablet devices is irrelevant to this discussion. Microsoft wanted to distribute machines that would run both the backwards-compatible version of Windows. They needed to give the developers something that they could easily hand-carry or ship back home with them.

You are correct to say that there is no proof of desktop mode for ARM devices.

Microsoft is clear that there will be no Flash plugin for Metro. You cited Danny Winokur's statement on Adobe's blog, which is pretty clear that Flash on Metro will happen via an App Store:

Danny Winokur said:
In addition, we expect Flash based apps will come to Metro via Adobe AIR, much the way they are on Android, iOS and BlackBerry Tablet OS today, including the recent number one paid app for the iPad on the Apple App Store, Machinarium, which is built using Flash tools and deployed on the Web using Flash Player and through app stores as a standalone app.

Adobe is acknowledging the success of the App Store paradigm as a means to distribute and run Flash apps. Danny missed a biggie in the list of App Stores: the Mac App Store is being used to sell and distribute Machinarium to Mac laptop and desktop machines.

darngooddesign said:
However, considering Msoft's single-OS strategy it is more likely to happen than not because there is already Flash for ARM processors.

This is the part of your clarification that is wild speculation. Microsoft was clear in their message, and Adobe echoed that message in their reply.

I have yet to see any serious tech blogger claim that Flash in the browser on Metro "is likely to happen". I have seen much writing -- including Adobe's blog -- saying that it is not going to happen. I particularly like John Gruber's analysis of Metro. In particular, Gruber hints that Metro apps could well run on Windows 8 -- that may be in fact how developers would use their

Can you name any serious tech blogs that agree with your assessment, @darngooddesign? I don't see any.

Legacy Intel software would have to be coded for ARM. The difference being that Flash has already been coded for ARM.

It's not the existence of a plugin which would stop MS from having Flash in the browser; it is a deliberate decision on their part of make the ARM-based tablet be Flash-free. I do not know a single tech blogger who agrees with @darngooddesign's opinion about Flash. Adobe certainly does not.

To anyone interested in the topic: I suggest reading Gruber's analysis as a starting point.

BaldiMac

macrumors G3
Jan 24, 2008
Those that wouldn't want it for whatever reason would not install it. Net effect on them: nada.

And again, you just willfully ignored the clear, rational argument that disputes this claim. Apple's decision to not include Flash has resulted in more content available to me. That not "nada" no matter how many times you try and mischaracterize my argument.

I can only see an option to choose for oneself as better than some corporation- even our favorite corporation- choosing for everyone. That lots of people on MacRumors agrees with the latter is fine too. But it doesn't change the fact that some- myself included- would rather get to choose for themselves than have others choose for them.

And yet you are letting corporations dictate your experience. Adobe dictates the features and quality of the Flash Player. They dictate which platforms it is available on. The corporations behind all of those Flash using websites dictate which platforms and browsers you can use. You just seem to have a problem with Apple doing it.

Corporations dictate the features of their products. That's reality. It's not something that's unique to Apple and iOS. You just wish iOS was an open platform. It's not. If you want an open platform, you have many choices.

darngooddesign

macrumors P6
Jul 4, 2007
Atlanta, GA
The fact that the demo machines distributed to developers were tablet devices is irrelevant to this discussion. Microsoft wanted to distribute machines that would run both the backwards-compatible version of Windows. They needed to give the developers something that they could easily hand-carry or ship back home with them.

They distributed tablets to show off the touch-centric nature of W8. Why would you show laptops when you really want to demonstrate how awesome your OS is on tablets? More likely is that the ARM version just isn't ready to show yet.

Microsoft is clear that there will be no Flash plugin for Metro. You cited Danny Winokur's statement on Adobe's blog, which is pretty clear that Flash on Metro will happen via an App Store:

I clarified that. No Flash in Metro browser, Yes Flash in W8 Desktop Mode browser.

Adobe is acknowledging the success of the App Store paradigm as a means to distribute and run Flash apps. Danny missed a biggie in the list of App Stores: the Mac App Store is being used to sell and distribute Machinarium to Mac laptop and desktop machines.

Yes, easy App Stores are successful. This has nothing to do with how the apps are coded.

This is the part of your clarification that is wild speculation. Microsoft was clear in their message, and Adobe echoed that message in their reply.
I never claimed it as fact. In fact, by using the word 'likely' I meant it as speculation. Microsoft and Adobe were very clear that Flash will run in desktop mode. That is all they were clear about.

I have yet to see any serious tech blogger claim that Flash in the browser on Metro "is likely to happen". I have seen much writing -- including Adobe's blog -- saying that it is not going to happen. I particularly like John Gruber's analysis of Metro. In particular, Gruber hints that Metro apps could well run on Windows 8 -- that may be in fact how developers would use thei0r

Can you name any serious tech blogs that agree with your assessment, @darngooddesign? I don't see any.

I've given my reasoning and even cited Adobe saying it will happen in desktop mode. How about you cite proof that desktop mode won't happen on ARM tablets. You can't because no one knows. Once again, I clarified all this. On Intel-based W8 tablets, because those are the only W8 tablets that exist right now: No Flash in W8 Metro browser. Yes Flash in W8 Desktop Mode browser. What Gruber says is true, but does not account for apps written for ARM chips. Its possible (note...this is speculation not fact), that ARM tablets will have desktop mode as well as the ability to run ARM apps. If this is the case (again speculation) there may be desktop mode IE with the already existing Flash ARM plugin.

It's not the existence of a plugin which would stop MS from having Flash in the browser; it is a deliberate decision on their part of make the ARM-based tablet be Flash-free. I do not know a single tech blogger who agrees with @darngooddesign's opinion about Flash. Adobe certainly does not.

No Flash in W8 Metro browser. Yes Flash in W8 Desktop Mode browser.

Considering how open Msoft is about Metro being Flash-free, why won't they just say no desktop mode browser for ARM devices? All they have said is no Intel apps on ARM devices which is different from no Flash on ARM devices.

To sum up. You don't know, I don't know, and tech bloggers don't know until Msoft tells us.

Last edited:

Carouser

macrumors 65816
Feb 1, 2010
All I know is I've hit two sites today that required Flash. Had to go for the computer.

Since that's all you know perhaps you should read up on this topic some more.

Corporations dictate the features of their products. That's reality. It's not something that's unique to Apple and iOS. You just wish iOS was an open platform. It's not. If you want an open platform, you have many choices.

You'd think all these people who want choice would be running Linux or even writing their own code from binary, maybe making the chips from raw materials they've choppered in from South America or something.

Carouser

macrumors 65816
Feb 1, 2010
Or making unrealistic statements. :D

I don't follow.

If 'choice' is the fundamental principle, then those who believe 'choice is better than no choice' should be advocating all kinds of things. Yet they are not, and there is in fact no way to completely satisfy this principle. Design decisions cannot be arbitrated on the principle of choice, because that opens up an infinite number of demands. Apple has to choose some other metric to guide product design among these infinite choices, and the question of whether to offer 'choice' or not becomes moot.

To say 'the choice of Flash is better than not having the choice' isn't an argument, it's just restating the premise (iOS should have Flash) in different words. If choice only matters for Flash and not whether there should be 12 colours and 16 screen sizes then it's special pleading.

darngooddesign

macrumors P6
Jul 4, 2007
Atlanta, GA
I don't follow.
You think that regular people who want to run flash should be writing their own code and manufacturing chips.

If 'choice' is the fundamental principle, then those who believe 'choice is better than no choice' should be advocating all kinds of things. Yet they are not...
Why? People are advocating the choice to run Flash. Why would they be advocating other things in this discussion?

To say 'the choice of Flash is better than not having the choice' isn't an argument, it's just restating the premise (iOS should have Flash) in different words. If choice only matters for Flash and not whether there should be 12 colours and 16 screen sizes then it's special pleading.

Of course its the same thing with different words. Should people who want the choice of Flash say they hear elephants in purple jumpsuits eating crackers? Those are different words without restating the original premise. Choice matters for many things, but specifically this is about the choice to run Flash.

Carouser

macrumors 65816
Feb 1, 2010
You think that regular people who want to run flash should be writing their own code and manufacturing chips.

No, I think that people who say 'iOS should run Flash, because, as a rule, choice is always better than no choice' are not applying their rule consistently.

Advocating for Flash inclusion on the grounds of choice alone is not an argument, it's a restatement of the premise. Thus, if someone wants to make an argument as to why Flash should be in iOS, they have to say more than 'choice is better than no choice', because this principle is useless, for the reasons I have already laid out.

To put it another way, it just begs the question: 'Flash should be a choice'. Why? 'Because choice is always better than no choice'. This asserts as true what it is supposed to prove by argument. Others have consistently said why offering this choice is not better than not offering it.

This addresses everything in your post, I hope you understand now.

darngooddesign

macrumors P6
Jul 4, 2007
Atlanta, GA
No, I think that people who say 'iOS should run Flash, because, as a rule, choice is always better than no choice' are not applying their rule consistently.

I do understand your point.

To put it another way, it just begs the question: 'Flash should be a choice'. Why? 'Because choice is always better than no choice'. This asserts as true what it is supposed to prove by argument. Others have consistently said why offering this choice is not better than not offering it.

This addresses everything in your post, I hope you understand now.

Flash should be a choice. Why? Because there is web content, not satisfied by apps, we can not view. In this case more choice is better because it gives us access to more content.

Last edited:

FloatingBones

macrumors 65816
Jul 19, 2006
When you include laptops and desktops that have de-installed Adobe Flash and corporations that don't allow Flash, even you should agree that there are already over a quarter-billion Flash-free devices in the world.

Usage like this implies that all iOS devices are being used as web browsers in a meaningful way and not as iPods because the users have upgraded to faster versions.

I have no idea what "meaningful way" means. I do not think that anyone is buying an iOS device because they need a faster version of an iPod. That makes no sense: the iPod Nano works plenty fast.

So that number, which doesn't account for their disuse is tiny compared to the total number of computers sold since 2000.

Is it really? Do you have a number for us?

Many of those are no longer in use, in any meaningful way, due to the owners having faster computers.

Bingo. Why use that as a base year if many of the computers made in 2000 are no longer in use? Why not use computers sold in the past 5 years?

To sum up. Isn't quoting raw numbers fun?

Then you are not having any fun: you haven't quoted any numbers. You have made up some interesting claims, though.

They distributed tablets to show off the touch-centric nature of W8. Why would you show laptops when you really want to demonstrate how awesome your OS is on tablets? More likely is that the ARM version just isn't ready to show yet.

The point of those computers was to allow developers a way to develop apps for W8 and for Metro. They are not designed to show off anything.

Whether or not any ARM tablets are ready is irrelevant. The point in distributing a machine with an Intel processor is to allow the running of both W8 and Metro apps.

I clarified that. No Flash in Metro browser, Yes Flash in W8 Desktop Mode browser.

You clarified, then you muddied up the conversation again:

Legacy Intel software would have to be coded for ARM. The difference being that Flash has already been coded for ARM.

Yes, easy App Stores are successful. This has nothing to do with how the apps are coded.

You missed the point: Adobe is advocating the App Store model as the way to run Flash content on the ARM-based Metro systems. Adobe's blog post was clear on that point. If you carefully read the Adobe blog entry, you'll see they agree: the browser on ARM-based Metro tablets will be Flash-free.

Flash is not supported in Metro mode, but is supported in W8 desktop mode. This has been demonstrated on an i5-based tablet running an early build of the OS. You are correct to say that there is no proof of desktop mode for ARM devices. However, considering Msoft's single-OS strategy it is more likely to happen than not because there is already Flash for ARM processors.

I never claimed it as fact. In fact, by using the word 'likely' I meant it as speculation. Microsoft and Adobe were very clear that Flash will run in desktop mode. That is all they were clear about.

It is groundless speculation. Can you cite a single tech blogger who agrees with your assessment?

If you are clarifying, it's useful to note when you are making a speculation and when your assessment is based on facts.

I've given my reasoning and even cited Adobe saying it will happen in desktop mode.

But who -- other than you -- is even speculating that an ARM-based "desktop mode" will even exist?

How about you cite proof that desktop mode won't happen on ARM tablets.

It's YOUR speculation. It's YOUR job to prove that it has any merit.

What Gruber says is true, but does not account for apps written for ARM chips. Its possible (note...this is speculation not fact), that ARM tablets will have desktop mode as well as the ability to run ARM apps. If this is the case (again speculation) there may be desktop mode IE with the already existing Flash ARM plugin.

So you can't site a single tech blogger that happens to agree with your speculation. One must ask: why are *you* the only person who is speculating this? Did you attend the BUILD conference? If not, how many of the presentation videos did you watch?

No Flash in W8 Metro browser. Yes Flash in W8 Desktop Mode browser.

Correct. The proverbial kitchen sink is included in W8 Desktop Mode.

Considering how open Msoft is about Metro being Flash-free, why won't they just say no desktop mode browser for ARM devices? All they have said is no Intel apps on ARM devices which is different from no Flash on ARM devices.

I'd say it's more of an indication of how hopeful you are rather than reality.

Microsoft has drawn a line in the sand between kitchen-sink mode (Intel-based W8) and lean-and-mean low-power mode (ARM based tablets running Metro). You seem to think that Microsoft is going to completely blur the line in the sand with a kitchen-sink ARM deployment. You haven't given us any reasoning why they would do such a thing.

You haven't even told us why you think that a desktop-mode ARM processor would be valuable.

To sum up. You don't know, I don't know, and tech bloggers don't know until Msoft tells us.

We know more than that: you can't identify a single tech blogger who reads the tea leaves like you do. You weren't at the BUILD conference, were you? But you seem to think you know better than any tech blogger what is going to happen.

Also, we know that Flash is a non-starter on ARM tablets. That's the important point. Websites that are Flash-based will be shutting themselves out of direct access to MS Metro tablet computers. They are also shut out the same way from any iOS-based tablet computers.

The time has come for websites to go Flash-free.

Last edited:

Carouser

macrumors 65816
Feb 1, 2010
Flash should be a choice. Why? Not because its an esoteric choice, but because there is web content, not satisfied by apps, we can not view.

Congratulations, you've figured it out. Those who fall back on 'choice is always good for the consumer' are writing a load of nonsense, because choice is not the fundamental principle by which they are evaluating the iPad or Flash or anything else. If they were so concerned with maximizing choices above other considerations they wouldn't be using iOS to begin with, which goes back to BaldiMac's and my point.

It has nothing to do with 'choice is always good and my choices should be maximized', it has to do with 'I want to view particular web content, so I should get what I want in this situation'.

Then I ask 'why should Apple satisfy your demand?' and someone posts 'because choice is always good!' and it goes around in circles.

Last edited:

darngooddesign

macrumors P6
Jul 4, 2007
Atlanta, GA
It has nothing to do with 'choice is always good and my choices should be maximized', it has to do with 'I want to view particular web content, so I should get what I want in this situation'.

Of course choice, in the context of a specific discussion, has to do with that which is being discussed.

FloatingBones

macrumors 65816
Jul 19, 2006
Flash should be a choice. Why? Because there is web content, not satisfied by apps, we can not view. In this case more choice is better because it gives us access to more content.

Flash developers do have a choice: use the Adobe Packager and put their apps in the app stores: iOS, Android, Blackberry, and Mac app stores. They can do that today. If they have an exemplary Flash app like Machinarium, they can even make big bucks doing it. If they want to distribute their apps freely, they're welcome to do that. Customers then have a choice: they can download/purchase the Flash apps that they want.

Microsoft figured out the same thing for W8 ARM tablets: No Flash in the browser, but App Store is fine.

The web should be a place where information can be accessed by anyone -- regardless of their ability. Proprietary web plugins like Flash that can't provide accessibility adapters; they have no business on the World Wide Web.

I choose accessibility. Apple chose a path that will accelerate the process towards an accessible (and Flash-free) web. What do you choose, @darngooddesign?

Ironworker808

macrumors regular
Jun 13, 2009
To think that there are 250,000,000 unique iDevice users is silly.

Just as silly as thinking that a current iDevice is decommissioned when it is upgraded.

When I upgraded my iPod Touch to an iPhone 3GS I gave it to my sister. It was her first iOS device.

When I upgraded my iPhone 3GS to an iPhone 4 I gave it to my mother. It was her first iOS device.

When I upgraded my iPad 1 to an iPad 2, I gave it to my father. It was his first iOS device.

Anecdotal evidence? Absolutely. But eBay and Craigslist sorta back me up on this one.

darngooddesign

macrumors P6
Jul 4, 2007
Atlanta, GA
Flash developers do have a choice: use the Adobe Packager and put their apps in the app stores: iOS, Android, Blackberry, and Mac app stores. They can do that today. If they have an exemplary Flash app like Machinarium, they can even make big bucks doing it. If they want to distribute their apps freely, they're welcome to do that. Customers then have a choice: they can download/purchase the Flash apps that they want.

Microsoft figured out the same thing for W8 ARM tablets: No Flash in the browser, but App Store is fine.

The web should be a place where information can be accessed by anyone -- regardless of their ability. Proprietary web plugins like Flash that can't provide accessibility adapters; they have no business on the World Wide Web.

I choose accessibility. Apple chose a path that will accelerate the process towards an accessible (and Flash-free) web. What do you choose, @darngooddesign?

If you choose accessibility, why do you want proprietary apps? Those that exist on a device that has to be purchased to run even the free ones. These are apps that you can't access for free at public libraries. The open accessible web you say that you want should not include OS-specific apps as the number of people who own those is tiny compared to the number of people who have access to regular computers.

Apple initially chose an accessible path because they promoted web apps. Now Apple is pushing a web which is accessible provided you own a device that can run their apps.

You should be doing everything in your power to promote web apps which are accessible by every computer, but all you do is deride Flash. If I am wrong please show me your history of promoting web-apps and deriding App Store apps in the same manner you deride Flash. This applies to apps not created in Flash as well.

So when you say you are in favor of accessibility, it really applies to devices you own.

Also, will Flash run in desktop mode on ARM devices? You argue your point really hard. Do you have proof to support your claim (don't forget to cite your sources, I would like to read a reputable blog that says there is no desktop mode browser that can run Flash on ARM devices) or were you wildly speculating as well?

As you said in the above post, "Microsoft figured out the same thing for W8 ARM tablets: No Flash in the browser, but App Store is fine." You are also a big fan of being precise in what you say. Do you mean "No Flash in browser" or do you mean "No Flash in Metro browser, but unknown Flash support in Desktop Mode browser"?

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.