To Everyone That Reads This Forum And Has An iPhone

Discussion in 'iPhone' started by nickspohn, Nov 5, 2008.

1. nickspohn macrumors 68040

nickspohn

I love my iPhone. I'm sure everyone here does. As long as Apple makes the iPhone, I'll keep buying the new one. But since June 29th, some of us have put up with not having features that come with the most basic of phones. I say it's time we start grouping up and suggesting opinions to Apple at a mass scale. I'm sure everyone that works on the iPhone knows we want Flash, MMS, Copy / Paste / Forwarding Texts and so on.

Generally, every single company will listen to it's customers eventually if it has any integrity and wants to have the best product. That's why I'm making this thread. Every day I use my iPhone, and I use it a lot. But every so often, i find myself lacking a feature that would be every so useful.

So here is what I'm asking for. Anyone that reads this, bookmark this link:

http://www.apple.com/feedback/iphone.html

And every single day, or every time you think about a feature, write a quick response and send it to Apple. Who cares if you send in the same feature every time you use this. Apple will know we are serious. We have to do something about this. And the more people that do this, the better chance we get what we want.

2. gilkisson macrumors 65816

gilkisson

Sure, why not. But, are you sure those are dragons, Don Quixote? They look like windmills to me...

I've been trying to understand the corporate (not to say Steve Jobs') mindset regarding these changes we want. Before the iPhone was invented, Steve et al didn't survey, or poll, or invite a bunch of opinions. It's a brain-child, and it's successful. It's proven to be a great idea.

Playing devil's advocate, might this constant beseeching not be perceived, not as suggestions, nor as wanted enhancements, but as implied criticism? As in, "Steve, you didn't do it right, now go fix it according to my preferences, not yours"...

Having said that, I would like to see CP and better push. :)

3. ParishYoung macrumors 6502a

I think this is a much better idea than posting on forums discussing what we want in future versions. Telling Apple direct is more likely to get results.

I doubt they're increased R&D budget includes paying people to read these forums to see what customers want.

AT&T have the right idea with their recent survey for iPhone users.

I regularly use the Apple Feedback pages, mostly for new content on the iTunes Store mind you, but non-the less great idea. Maybe MS should have a similar page - ha ha

I'll go and pop some suggestions they're way now....

4. rotobadger macrumors 65816

rotobadger

Before you get flamed for your suggestion I'd like to congratulate on an intelligent, well thought out post. I will follow your example and continually send my suggestions to Apple (MMS, copy and paste, etc.).

5. daisuke07 macrumors regular

6. jlake02 macrumors 68020

jlake02

I added a request for a video recorder. Good link! :)

7. TheConfuzed1 macrumors 6502a

I'll play. To be fair though, I've already been playing.

I've used that feedback link to send in many requests... But you're right... It would probably stand out better to repeatedly do so.

With that in mind, it would probably make sense to create some templates for these requests. In other words, if you think of something that you want to request, make a copy of the email, and the next time that you decide to send out this request, you can simply send the same one again.

Even better, just create a script that automatically does this every day! :)

8. Scallywag macrumors regular

You and Obama have inspired me to TAKE THE POWER BACK!!

or...at least send feedback to apple multiple times a day. Thanks, and here's to copy and paste in the future!!!

9. nickspohn thread starter macrumors 68040

nickspohn

10. hazza.jockel macrumors 6502

Ok. i just sent in a meesage as well. Other people have suggested this in other threads but since you posted a nice link i just did it. Anyways i asked for MMS and turn by turn navigation.

11. Aj2488 macrumors regular

All I want is MMS and LANDSCAPE TEXTING... the texting option would make the iPhone far superior than it is now.

12. Eric Isaacson macrumors 6502

Note sent requesting cut and paste.

Hopefully some of these suggestions will be taken seriously.

Eric

13. Mad Mac Maniac macrumors 601

Mad Mac Maniac

A little bit of here and a little bit of there.
    This is my submitted response. Feel free to use it, or something similar if you like.

"I find many features lacking in the SMS Text app on the iPhone.

Mainly I find error in the lack of 4 specific functions: Individual timestamp, individual delete, individual save, and forwarding. These features can all be implemented in a simple enough fashion. My humble suggestion would be to allow the user to touch a specific message, which highlights it and dims the rest of the messages. At this point it would display the time of this specific message and allow functionality to delete, save to separate folder, or forward.

Additionally, a useful feature would be subdividing your conversations into specific 'sessions'. Lumping all conversations with a single person into one long list can be burdensome. This way we could place different conversations and different topics into separate groupings. I could see a few different ways this could be implemented. Perhaps you could devise a way to subdivide pre-existing SMS conversations into different sessions. Or perhaps you could allow the user to select an option to start or stop a specific session at any point in time. Or perhaps if a message is sent a certain length of time apart from any other message (for example maybe 2 hours. It would be user specific), then the user could be asked if they would like to continue on this session or begin a new session. (Also, perhaps this feature could be turned on or off, because some people wouldn't want to be bothered with being asked that question every time they get a new text). Any one of these methods of implementation would work great, or if you so desire, you could implement all three.

Thank you for taking the time to listen to my concerns! I love doing business with Apple and I plan on continuing to do so in the future. Please let me know if any of these features are feasible, on the "to do" list, or if you need further clarification. Contrastly, please also let me know if Apple is sufficiently satisfied with the SMS Text app and plans on making no changes in the near future"

14. andyhargreaves macrumors regular

Here's my list. Will add to it as I come up with other individual ideas...

- Turn-by-Turn navigation (TomTom app, preferably!)
    - MMS
    - Cut/Copy/Paste
    - 3G Tethering (O2 UK)
    - iWork / MS Office apps
    - Podcast downloads
    - ITMS over the air
    - Bluetooth data sync (contacts, calendars etc, not iTunes/Photos/Apps)
    - Bluetooth file exchange
    - Video recording
    - Landscape SMS
    - Multiple delete in SMS (like mail)
    - SMS Forwarding

15. nickspohn thread starter macrumors 68040

nickspohn

Good job, keep it coming.

I would send each of those requests in one by one, instead of 1 large list. Unless of course you keep submitting that list. Basically for me anytime i come on macrumors after a while I'll submit one.

16. Justinerator macrumors 6502

Justinerator

17. emt1 macrumors 65816

See bold. Where's the incentive for Apple to give you what you want?

18. one1 macrumors 65816

19. nickspohn thread starter macrumors 68040

nickspohn

Because something i want that the iPhone doesn't have is more than likely desired by someone who is wanting to get an iPhone, or decided not to get one because it didn't have the feature.

20. daisuke07 macrumors regular

thats what im doing. i dont remember every single thing that needs to be added and i usually use the feedback website on my iphone

21. Vald macrumors newbie

Suppose they don't want to make the iphone perfect. Suppose they want to keep releasing an improved iphone every other year.
    I'm sorry I have to bring this one up, but, that's sort of what capitalism is about.

if you make one product that is perfect, and never breaks, and lasts for a very long time,
    then your consumers don't need to buy another product that offers same abilities, which means your company wont be selling products.. which is bad for the company.

they'll definitely make all of those improvements..but very slowly.. its in their best interest.

which is sad for technology evolution.

electric cars would have been made decades ago if it wasn't for capitalisms greed for money.

22. GoCubsGo macrumors Nehalem

GoCubsGo

To a degree I agree, but things such as copy/paste is not going to be a third gen phone enhancement. Copy/paste is a software function that can be implemented with an update.

That said, each month I send a copy of a release to someone to prove something shouldn't be showing as "unpaid". I think I'll just go ahead and schedule iCal to remind me to do this too!
    I'm a persistent stubborn mule. It works in my favor sometimes.

23. sergiuria macrumors 6502a

sergiuria

This is coming in the next update! And it is not speculation

24. Eric Isaacson macrumors 6502

I just sent another note, this one regarding a video recorder. It may not help, but then it can't hurt.

Eric