To game on the mac or PC

Discussion in 'Mac and PC Games' started by Metalshopteach, Aug 15, 2009.

1. Metalshopteach macrumors newbie

I have a Mac Pro, bought in Jan 09, pretty standard, added extra superdrive, 500 gb hard drive, and the Nvidia Video Card option as I prefer it over ATI.

I want to use it for games and I have installed Bootcamp and windows, Played Halflife 2 on it recently, loved the grapichs and it ran sweet. As far as I can tell its just as good as my father in laws PC he built for gaming hardware wise and as I understand it when it is in bootcamp it is PC so I figure that its a pretty decent gaming machine for that reason. Please correct me if I am wrong, I am by no means an expert.

What I am wondering is I plan to play Call of Duty: World at war next and other games as they come out, and some games like Call of duty are available to run in mac or windows... In these situations, is there any reason why I should buy one over the other, will my machine run better in OSX for those games or Windows XP?

2. Huntn macrumors G5

Huntn

The odds are the the Windows versions of those games (Boot Camp) will have better performance than the native Mac versions.

3. Sambo110 macrumors 68000

I'm sure you'll still get a decent frame rate in Mac OS X. Plus it's easier to game in OS X.

4. SnowLeopard2008 macrumors 604

SnowLeopard2008

However, if the games are designed to work with SL and the new tech in there, we might see a huge improvement in performance.

5. Metalshopteach thread starter macrumors newbie

Could you explain this a little, I am not sure of what you are talking about, are you saying that OSX uses SL and that if they are designed for it they would run better in OSX

6. thegoldenmackid macrumors 604

thegoldenmackid

PC. The games are cheaper and there is a selection that is vastly larger. Also, you can make a sweet gaming rig much cheaper then anything that is going to be comparable on the Mac side.

7. cluthz macrumors 68040

cluthz

SL= snow leopard, OS 10.6

They will not run better in SL than windows, unless something amazing happen.

Direct X is what most games are designed for and DX isn't available for mac.
    Most games that are real ports (not ciderized games) will although run comparably on macs (but a tiny bit slower).

Cider-ports do usually only run like 50% on the speed :(

8. Miharu macrumors 6502

Miharu

9. RITZFit macrumors 65816

RITZFit

yup, this is the main reason I only game on the windows side of things. Most ports I've tried on osx have run just OK, but still ran a bit smoother on windows (I usually have probs w/ antialiasing and some odd ball probs w/ controls)

10. Huntn macrumors G5

Huntn

Nothing would make me happier than to be able to stop recommending Windows gaming to Mac users. :)

11. txa1265 macrumors 6502a

txa1265

Absolutely agree ... I sold off most of my Mac games I had on Mac & PC a few years back, and even now that I'm rebuilding again I understand the trade-offs ...

12. Metalshopteach thread starter macrumors newbie

Prob the only thing I know is a downfall is I have Windows XP Home installed and it will only recognize the one processor, assuming I am correct in understanding that I get my 8 cores from two quad core processors

13. Dmac77 macrumors 68020

Dmac77

IIRC, XP home doesn't recognize more then one processor. XP Pro, Vista (except basic), and Windows 7 all recognize more then one processor.

Don

14. Rodus macrumors 6502a

Rodus

15. Dmac77 macrumors 68020

Dmac77

Yes, XP Home does support dual core processors, but XP Home does not support multiple processors.

Don