To get an Macbook Pro now or to wait

Discussion in 'MacBook Pro' started by aldo818, Nov 18, 2009.

  1. aldo818 macrumors regular

    Joined:
    Nov 18, 2009
    Location:
    South of France
    #1
    Hey guys i m about to buy my first macbook pro and i m still undecided wether to buy it now or to wait. I ve been searching the forum and couldn t find an answer when an new macbook pro comes out.

    Also is it better to get an 13 inch 2.53 or an 15 inch 2.8

    as i mainly use it for surfing the web and e mailing i was also of thinking about getting an macbook air but from friends who have one i didn t heard so much possitives about and they all advised me to get an pro.

    Actually the new macbook has quite good specs but i don t like the girly white color if they would make it in black i would have gotten that
     
  2. r.j.s Moderator emeritus

    r.j.s

    Joined:
    Mar 7, 2007
    Location:
    Texas
    #2
    If you need it now, get it.

    The updates usually come out in Jan. *not guaranteed, just based on history.

    There is nothing girly about the white MB. What makes you think that?
     
  3. aldo818 thread starter macrumors regular

    Joined:
    Nov 18, 2009
    Location:
    South of France
    #3
    Donno was just a thought cause i haven t really seen men with the white macbook more with the black once or with an macbook pro.

    So i guess i wait till january till they come up with an new Macbook Pro.
     
  4. CD3660 macrumors 68040

    CD3660

    Joined:
    Jun 6, 2007
    Location:
    Cheshire, United Kingdom.
    #5
    January is likely to see some significant performance improvements so I would wait.

    Having said that, the present specs are very good anyway.
     
  5. claus1225 macrumors member

    Joined:
    May 25, 2009
    #6
    why do people ask this same question everyday?
     
  6. alfmil, Nov 19, 2009
    Last edited: Feb 29, 2016

    alfmil macrumors regular

    Joined:
    Jan 22, 2009
    #7
     
  7. Abstract macrumors Penryn

    Abstract

    Joined:
    Dec 27, 2002
    Location:
    Location Location Location
    #8
    Wirelessly posted (Nokia 5800 Tube XpressMusic : Mozilla/5.0 (SymbianOS/9.4; U; Series60/5.0 Nokia5800d-1/21.0.101; Profile/MIDP-2.1 Configuration/CLDC-1.1 ) AppleWebKit/413 (KHTML, like Gecko) Safari/413)

    January was the customary month due to MWSF. However, since Apple aren't doing Macworld expos anymore, and new processors may not be readily available for them until later, I'd say you may be waiting until Feb or March. :eek:

    Is it worth waiting for? I'm waiting because I'm not desperate.
     
  8. Little Endian macrumors 6502a

    Joined:
    Apr 9, 2003
    Location:
    Honolulu
    #9
    I took the plunge a couple of months ago and got a 15" 2.66Ghz MBP with the 9600M GPU. If you are going to buy now definitely get a MBP with a 9600M as it puts the 9400 to shame and it is the biggest distinguishing performance factor that seperates MB from MBP.

    If I were you though I would wait..... but then again even with the update I don't think Apple will use anything faster than an Arrandale CPU clocked at 2.66Ghz due to heat and power usage, even then this may be pushing it. Sure even at sub 2.5Ghz Arrandale should be able to outperform a 3.06 Ghz Core 2 Duo by as much as 20% but I would hardly consider this ground breaking performance increase. I also expect battery life to improve slightly but if Apple goes for Maximum performance with the fastest CPU and GPU combinations possible their could be no change in battery life.
     
  9. maflynn Moderator

    maflynn

    Staff Member

    Joined:
    May 3, 2009
    Location:
    Boston
    #10
    Perhaps we need a sticky since this question doesn't just come up weekly, not even daily but almost hourly ;)

    As others have posted, if you need one now, buy one now. If you can wait, then do so. While intel is releasing the arrandale chips in January, there's no guarantee that apple will have a laptop ready to ship in January.

    I actually kind of doubt that intel will even have the production ramped up to provide vendors with arrandale chips in quantity needed to fulfill orders.

    Then there's the decision to be on a revision "A" machine. You risk on being on the bleeding edge, and while apple's track record is pretty good with revision "A" machines its something to consider as you decide when and what to buy.
     
  10. GoCubsGo macrumors Nehalem

    GoCubsGo

    Joined:
    Feb 19, 2005
    #11
    See I think there will be an update but it won't be a new processor. I believe sometime soon they'll put the MB and MBP (13") on different playing fields. Right now people are failing to understand the true benefits of the $200 difference. For me, I'm waiting a little while to see if they give us a matte option. That's all I really care about. I couldn't care less about a new chip as I don't want to be a Rev A guinea pig.
     
  11. aldo818 thread starter macrumors regular

    Joined:
    Nov 18, 2009
    Location:
    South of France
    #12
    Thank you all for your replies i ll wait then till january and see what happens as i m not in an hurry.

    I searched the forum to get info about it as some mentioned before this question comes up frequently but i either found really old threads or some about usb 3 or blue ray etc...
     
  12. Abstract macrumors Penryn

    Abstract

    Joined:
    Dec 27, 2002
    Location:
    Location Location Location
    #13
    Wirelessly posted (Nokia 5800 Tube XpressMusic : Mozilla/5.0 (SymbianOS/9.4; U; Series60/5.0 Nokia5800d-1/21.0.101; Profile/MIDP-2.1 Configuration/CLDC-1.1 ) AppleWebKit/413 (KHTML, like Gecko) Safari/413)

    Well I agree. I'm not waiting only for a new processor, but I do think that it's how they're primarily going to distinguish them for consumers. Also, every other brand would include Arrandale, so Apple needs to keep up. I'm hoping for a 1440*900 res option of the 13", although if it were an option, it would probably just be on the high end model. If there was a matte option, it would probably be available to all 13" (and 15") models, so I'm hoping for that as well. If I went or a low end machine, I'm hoping for a minimum of a matte option. I'd be willing to spend more for the high end if a high res option were available for it. Arrandale is nice, but it's just something I expect to be there since it's due.
     
  13. jshelton macrumors 6502a

    Joined:
    Aug 4, 2008
    #14
    Hang on...
     

    Attached Files:

  14. aldo818 thread starter macrumors regular

    Joined:
    Nov 18, 2009
    Location:
    South of France
    #15
    Hahaha Nice pic.

    Conclusion is to wait anywise soon christmas holidays so i won t use it anyhow and lets hope they come up with the update soon in january
     
  15. jshelton macrumors 6502a

    Joined:
    Aug 4, 2008
    #16
    Hehehe. Just messing with you.

    Yeah, I would wait until they update if you don't really need it now. Also, if you just need it for web surfing and email, the 13-inch will be more than enough. Good luck.
     
  16. flakes8 macrumors regular

    flakes8

    Joined:
    Sep 17, 2009
    Location:
    New England
    #17
    I think people are just trying to get to 600 posts so they can have an avatar on this message board.
     
  17. bigjnyc macrumors 601

    bigjnyc

    Joined:
    Apr 10, 2008
    #18
    Best time to buy is like a month or two after a fresh update, that way you'll be getting the newest update for a while and you give it some time for them to get out the first batches in case of any problems or issues. So my advice unless you are absolutely desperate just wait until the next update and give it like a month after, it's what I've always done and I'm always happy with my equipment.
     
  18. CD3660 macrumors 68040

    CD3660

    Joined:
    Jun 6, 2007
    Location:
    Cheshire, United Kingdom.
    #19
    This is good advice if you have the patience for the additional wait.
     
  19. lilskaterpunk macrumors regular

    lilskaterpunk

    Joined:
    Jan 12, 2008
    #20
    Good post! This is the situation im in too! Wait or buy now...
    Im looking at buying the MBP 13.3'' (Highest model) but with January right around the corner and I can save up more lol I would like to see what Apple will have to offer for upgrades on the MBP 13.3''. I still don't think it be much, but then you will be up to date for a bit.
    Here is a topic that is kinda asking the same question... http://forums.macrumors.com/showthread.php?t=822997
     
  20. Corrode macrumors 6502a

    Corrode

    Joined:
    Dec 26, 2008
    Location:
    Calgary, AB
    #21

    No way! Get it the day it comes out. No regrets. :)
     
  21. aldo818 thread starter macrumors regular

    Joined:
    Nov 18, 2009
    Location:
    South of France
    #22
    Are the first once of an line defective? so after a new model comes out it s better to wait a couple of month?
     
  22. r.j.s Moderator emeritus

    r.j.s

    Joined:
    Mar 7, 2007
    Location:
    Texas
    #23
    No, the first models of a product are not defective. Some people are superstitious about buying them though, because they occasionally have bugs.
     
  23. mrsir2009 macrumors 604

    mrsir2009

    Joined:
    Sep 17, 2009
    Location:
    Melbourne, Australia
    #24
    I'm going to buy one now, don't know when the next update will come out so I'm not going to wait. By the way, what is so girly about the white MacBook lol? Apple haven't made any girly Macs since the flowerpower and pink/purple iMacs/iBooks. iPods yes, but not Macs...:D
     
  24. r.j.s Moderator emeritus

    r.j.s

    Joined:
    Mar 7, 2007
    Location:
    Texas
    #25
    I remember those, plain white is not at all girly compared to this:
     

    Attached Files:

Share This Page