To JB or not to JB

Discussion in 'Jailbreaks and iOS Hacks' started by Jnardis, Aug 4, 2010.

1. Jnardis macrumors 6502a

Jun 2, 2010
    I know there are a million threads about JBing the Iphone 4, but I just wanted to voice my concerns:

1 - I rather have a longer lasting battery than have a jailbroken phone. Is there any chance of my battery performing poorly after JBing? If there is a chance and I retored to factor, will the battery reset as well?

2 - I already had a defective Iphone 4 that I just returned. What happens if something else happens to this new phone and I have to bring it apple. Is there any chance at all that apple can tell the phone was jb even after I restor?

3- The security problem that everyone is talking about once you JB. My entire life is on this phone (Banking, stocks, emails etc.) Is there any way that someone can hack into the phone and get my info.

I JB my 3GS and loved it, but I did it after 7 or 8 months of being stock and I was able to tell the battery was getting worse and worse.
    I would prob use a few apps if I did JB (Bitesms, Facetime on 3g, sbsettings and mywi).
  2. maturola macrumors 68040

Oct 29, 2007
    Atlanta, GA
    All i can tell you is the security hole is there either if you Jailbreak or not. the answer is YES, using a simple PDF someone can HACK into your phone and get your info and most probable just mess up your phone. Again that is there from the Apple's stock firmware.

If you jailbreak you can install a "supervisor" that will alert you if any PDF is trying to use this exploit. (it is not a fix, it's just a way to let you know what is happening so you can decide to stop it or not)

All your other question can be answer by many people in different way. since everyone have an opinion, so all you can do is read a lot (ton and tons of thread about it) and just go for it and try yourself. If you don;t like it, it will take you just a few minutes to go back to stock and move on. :cool:
  3. kellenm macrumors newbie

Jul 20, 2010
    I'd be interested in seeing responses to this post, I suppose I'll read around.
  4. mgamber macrumors 6502a

Jun 12, 2008
    There's nothing a jailbreak can do that can't be totally reversed by a restore. There's also nothing a jailbreak can physically do to the phone. Battery problems and the like are, from what I've gathered by my reading of this site, almost always caused by installing trash and/or not paying any attention to what you're doing. For example, if I want to run my battery down overnight, I just need to run MLB at Bat. No jailbreaking required.

The security problem you refer to is a problem EVERY iPhone from what I've read. It's how the current jailbreak hack works. Jailbreaking doesn't make it any worse. In fact, it provides the potential to make it more difficult.

Back up your phone and jailbreak it. If you don't like it, you can always restore and be back to where you started before the jailbreak.
  5. maturola macrumors 68040

Oct 29, 2007
    Atlanta, GA
    Here are some Post with multiples opinions about it: (some of them answer most of the OPs questions), feel free to ask more question about those post, that is why they are there for.

JB Stable at this Point? -
    Newb question on JB / OS Update -
    Still sync with iTunes after jailbreak? -
    Jail breaking benefits? -
    what about battery after jailbreak iphone 4? -
    What are the known/potential security issues with jailbroken iphones? -