to many errors burning dvd's with toast 8.0.1. whats good alternative?

Discussion in 'Mac Apps and Mac App Store' started by jayd, Apr 20, 2007.

1. jayd macrumors member

ive tried to burn 8 dvd movies by dragging the video ts folders to toast. ive only been able to burn 3 succesfull movies out of the 8. im definitely doing everything the right way but most of the time theres errors while burning. it says something like disk error failed to write lead out and then the next time it would work. is there a better program to burn dvd movies that barely ever have errors while burning? i dont need to compress the movies. just so you all know when im burning i put the computer on a flat surface and no other programs are open and i dont use the computer so its definitely not something im doing. i have a brand new macbook pro. thank you

2. killmoms macrumors 68040

killmoms

Might just be bad media, or rather, media that the drive in your MBP might be averse to. I've heard around the forums that the SuperDrives in the MacBooks and MacBook Pros are a little more finicky about media than their older PowerPC based counterparts. You might want to try buying better media. I reccomend Taiyo Yuden.

3. gnasher729 macrumors P6

gnasher729

Possible causes are: The media / blank DVDs, the DVD writer, the write speed or the software.

I'd create a "Burn Folder" in the finder ("File" menu, "New Burn Folder"), drag 4 GB of data into it, and burn. You can set the burn speed; try if that makes a difference. Lower speed takes longer but is more reliable. And try a different brand of DVDs; you might have used one with low quality, or it is just bad luck that you got a bad batch. If a different brand of DVDs, and at lowest burn speed still doesn't work then it may be the DVD writer in the MacBook.

PS. It seems that MacOS X doesn't mind too much if other programs are running; yesterday I burnt a DVD on a 733 MHz G4 while running Software Update and it worked, and it has happened that my wife switched to her account and used the Mac while I was burning a DVD, and that worked as well! Flat surface and not shaking the MacBook around is definitely a good idea.

4. Carrot007 macrumors regular

Carrot007

Sounds more like bad disks to me.

Unfortunatly bad doesn't always mean cheap either.

I recommend having a good read of this and then checking what media you have and if it's 3rd class or worse then bin it and get something newer.

http://www.digitalfaq.com/media/dvdmedia.htm

The 1st class media needent be expensive either if you shop around but it certainly wont be the cheapest.

5. jayd thread starter macrumors member

Carrot007, thats a great link. the dvd's im using are matrix. i looked at the company that makes them and im pretty sure its a 4th class media which is the worst. for the record i just burned 2 dvd's using popcorn and there was no error. maybe popcorn is better than toast. im definitely buying 1st class media next time.

6. PYR0M310N macrumors 6502a

PYR0M310N

Popcorn was originally written for toast, and then they lift that part of it and sold it seperaly for £20 less. so thats not going to make any difference. i recommend reducing burning speed with poor media

7. jayd thread starter macrumors member

i just created a new burn folder and put the movie in the folder. i see the button that says burn, but how do i set the burn speed?

8. mrkramer macrumors 603

mrkramer

Click burn, and I think that it will then give you the option of what speed to burn at.

9. FireArse macrumors 6502a

"whats good alternative"

This might sound very strange, but can I recommend Toast 7.1.2? I have not had a single lost disc, with my old 2GHz PM, my new 2.66GHz Mac Pro and my brother's 1.66GHz Mac Mini.

The newest isn't always the best.

F

10. PYR0M310N macrumors 6502a

PYR0M310N

You can reduce the burning speed in Toast. when it asks you to insert the disc you can set it there.

11. jayd thread starter macrumors member

what should i set the write speed at? it has an option for 1x all the way to 56x? is 1x the slowest? and if it is how long do you guys think the burn will take at 1x?