Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

1rottenapple

macrumors 601
Apr 21, 2004
Sorry. Read your post in a hurry. That is ridiculous battery life! Is this all on wifi?
I get 11hrs on the xr. Pretty great. I started not charging overnight actually.
[doublepost=1548551243][/doublepost]
When did colour start to define gender?! Get whatever you like. Personally, I don’t think me wearing pink shirt lessens my masculinity or my girlfriend wearing a blue top lessens her femininity a single bit. What has the world come down to these days?!
Gosh I love the coral.

MICHAELSD

macrumors 603
Jul 13, 2008
NJ
The only issue I had with the plus iPhones was the overal size. To use one handed I always risked dropping my phone due to readjusting my grip with one hand to reach certain parts of the screen and or unintentionally touching the screen with my palm. Plus it was uncomfortable carrying around in my gym shorts.

Not a bad product at all but after using the smaller but taller screen equipped X I could never go back to a plus again.

The XR is definitely smaller but I didn’t think it made a meaningful difference in pocketabity. In fact, I think it solidified for me that I would have purchased the Max since I do prefer having a larger phone, and even still it’s slightly smaller than the Plus phones.

For me the biggest compromise was that the XR didn’t feel like a replacement for a X or XS. All drawbacks aside (PWM, burn-in, etc.) and as good as the Liquid Retina Display looks, OLED still looks much better and the design of the X feels more premium. Frankly these are minor compromises for the market it’s designed for, and most consumers won’t care. I think it’s absolutely great for that market, it’s just not for me.

Last edited:

Dodgeman

macrumors 65816
Nov 30, 2016
I thought about getting the XR or the XS/Max.
Seems like a great budget device (300 or so difference?)
Hard to overlook it as a good everyday phone. Not sure I would miss the OLED screen (it is a phone not a TV) and there's and APP can fix the portrait mode problem.
Is there anything else that I am missing?

Reactions: eyeseeyou

akash.nu

macrumors G4
May 26, 2016
I thought about getting the XR or the XS/Max.
Seems like a great budget device (300 or so difference?)
Hard to overlook it as a good everyday phone. Not sure I would miss the OLED screen (it is a phone not a TV) and there's and APP can fix the portrait mode problem.
Is there anything else that I am missing?

3D Touch, if you use it.

eyeseeyou

macrumors 68040
Original poster
Feb 4, 2011
3D Touch, if you use it.

I live using 3D Touch for the small amount of apps that actually have utilized it but my experience on the XR so far is that the area I use 3D Touch the most, which is notifications, is almost identical to the X. There is a slight delay compared to the X.

I’m glad it works with notifications IMO it really improves the UX.

Reactions: GuruZac

akash.nu

macrumors G4
May 26, 2016
I live using 3D Touch for the small amount of apps that actually have utilized it but my experience on the XR so far is that the area I use 3D Touch the most, which is notifications, is almost identical to the X. There is a slight delay compared to the X.

I’m glad it works with notifications IMO it really improves the UX.

I use on the home screen as well which is probably not possible on the XR because the device can’t tell if you’re long pressing for the 3D Touch functionality or to put the app in the jiggle mode.

eyeseeyou

macrumors 68040
Original poster
Feb 4, 2011
I use on the home screen as well which is probably not possible on the XR because the device can’t tell if you’re long pressing for the 3D Touch functionality or to put the app in the jiggle mode.
What specifically do you do on the home screen? If you just press on a blank home screen nothing happens.

eyeseeyou

macrumors 68040
Original poster
Feb 4, 2011
3D Touch on various app icons on the home screen triggers access to shortcuts.
Ah got it. I use that too but on any screen with an app not just the home screen. Sorry got confused.

Yeah I use the launch center app like that all the time. Hopefully apple will port over more 3D Touch functionality to the haptic touch experience

1rottenapple

macrumors 601
Apr 21, 2004
I think the iPad actually has a better version mimicking 3D Touch minus the vibration.
Like how?

I know on safari if you press for 1.5 sec and let go it brings up the menu. I’d like to see that brought over to the xr. I mean the iPad has been out longer so I would say it would be natural for it to have a better experience utilizing long press.

Cancelled
Jul 12, 2016
Having an iPad Pro without 3D Touch I got used to the xr. It makes this a more unified experience.

For me, it’s the opposite, having 3D Touch has been a complete convenience since it launched with the iPhone 6s. The fact that you can shortcut and navigate applications is so much more simplistic, and doesn’t require you to access the whole application just for one thing that you want to read or view. Definitely my favorite feature.

BittenApple

macrumors 65816
Nov 29, 2008
None whatsoever. This is one of my favorite iPhones I have owned.

Best battery life and a beautiful huge LCD screen

1rottenapple

macrumors 601
Apr 21, 2004
For me, it’s the opposite, having 3D Touch has been a complete convenience since it launched with the iPhone 6s. The fact that you can shortcut and navigate applications is so much more simplistic, and doesn’t require you to access the whole application just for one thing that you want to read or view. Definitely my favorite feature.
Yah I would like 3D Touch but it’s not a deal breaker for me. I mainly use it for peak, notifications, and home screen shortcuts but I could live without those. And getting the iPad solidified my decision to go with the xr

iApple_man

macrumors 6502
Jan 18, 2015
Midwest
After handling a couple of friends XS Max, I kind of agree. It didn’t feel hardly any different overall, just bigger. Screen was a little more vibrant, blacks darker, but you have to go searching for these things. Only two things linger that I really do miss coming from my 7 Plus: 3D Touch and a universal Portrait Mode for anything. I’ve now purchased both the ProCamera app and Halide, and neither one does a good job after using both in several scenarios. I would not purchase either one again. Focos is even worse. At this point, it would take a big update from Apple to add real portrait ability for non human subjects. Obviously this could be done as Google has done it with the Pixels.

The 7 Plus is the only phone I got for the camera ie: the potrait mode. I’m reading the thread to see if I want the XR.

1rottenapple

macrumors 601
Apr 21, 2004
The 7 Plus is the only phone I got for the camera ie: the potrait mode. I’m reading the thread to see if I want the XR.
I’m not sure if it’s a dramatic upgrade from a 7 plus. I think those with a 6 would be most impressed upgrading to the xr, but hey if you can get a good deal on an xr....

Reactions: iApple_man

GuruZac

macrumors 68040
Sep 9, 2015
⛰️🏕️🏔️
The longer I’ve had my XR, the more I’ve enjoyed it. It isn’t a major upgrade in terms of daily usable speed, testament to the 7 Plus, but the gesture based interface does make everything feel more fluid, and there is no question the phone is faster at opening apps, etc. Also, the camera is a big upgrade in some ways. I’d say if you’re happy with your 7 Plus, hold out until September. If they add a dual camera to the XR this year, I’m upgrading again to that.

Cancelled
Jul 12, 2016
The longer I’ve had my XR, the more I’ve enjoyed it. It isn’t a major upgrade in terms of daily usable speed, testament to the 7 Plus, but the gesture based interface does make everything feel more fluid, and there is no question the phone is faster at opening apps, etc. Also, the camera is a big upgrade in some ways. I’d say if you’re happy with your 7 Plus, hold out until September. If they add a dual camera to the XR this year, I’m upgrading again to that.

With the triple lens camera coming this fall likely for the 2019 iPhone, I see that being a huge upgrade for those who are camera enthusiasts, and it will likely have more benefits of VR rendering. But I do expect Apple to refresh the XR, and at least offer it with the dual camera as a minimum feature for an upgrade over the 2018 XR.

Reactions: GuruZac
Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.