To Power Off or to Airplane Mode? That is the question!

Discussion in 'iPhone' started by smacrumon, May 12, 2016.

Tags:
?

At the day's end and the day's beginning, I...

1. Power Off and Power On

2 vote(s)
    3.1%
  2. Turn On Airplane Mode and Turn Off Airplane Mode

8 vote(s)
    12.3%
  3. Turn On Do Not Disturb and Turn Off Do Not Disturb

15 vote(s)
    23.1%
  4. Let the phone be

39 vote(s)
    60.0%
  5. Other

1 vote(s)
    1.5%
  1. smacrumon Suspended

smacrumon

After succumbing to some kind of evangelical magic for two years or more, my friend upgraded their carrier branded phone to their first new iPhone 5s with iOS9.

My friend has been very accustomed in the past to powering off their previous phone in the evenings to prevent calls and messages, so naturally in the evening they power off their new iPhone completely shutting it down then booting up in the morning.

I suggested the idea of just turning the phone to airplane mode to prevent any calls or messages coming through and that the iPhone is designed to remain on in a sleep/wake cycle instead of being shut down and rebooted daily.

Questions were raised from the discussion that seemed important for the MR forums to tackle:

Are there any issues fully shutting down and booting the iPhone on a daily basis? Does this behavior affect the longevity of the device? Can the iPhone be tracked while in airplane mode or when fully powered down? What's the proper way to treat the iPhone?

2. Matthew.H macrumors 6502

Matthew.H

I just turn my 6S off in the evening and turn it on again the next morning. Uses less battery and I don't need anyone ringing me at 3am.

3. kch50428 macrumors 6502

kch50428

You don't even need to turn do not disturb on and off manually - you can configure it to automatically activate and deactivate on a schedule...

4. BeeGood macrumors 65816

BeeGood

Is your only concern being woken up in the middle of the night by calls/notifications? If so, that's exactly what DND is designed for.

There's no "risk" that I can think of for shutting it down completely, but why bother with that? iCloud, podcasts downloads and other things that often occur at night while your phone is sitting on the charger won't happen. Plus, what if you need your phone in the middle of the night in an emergency?

Swipe up + tap. DND on. Go to sleep. It's a lot simpler/faster than power cycling the phone every day. Or better yet, schedule the DND (like most do) and forget it even exists. That's my $0.02.

5. bufffilm macrumors 68040

bufffilm

I usually run the phone connected to power by early evening, so by bedtime, it is fully charged (run it in low-power mode as well) in which case, I'll turn the phone off.

If it is not fully charged, then I'll leave the phone on throughout the night.

6. Mlrollin91 macrumors G4

Mlrollin91

Dock my phone next to my bed and auto DND set up. Charges overnight and notifications don't bother me.

7. bufffilm macrumors 68040

bufffilm

I should add, for the OP's case...agree that auto DND is the best way to go to balance privacy/sleep.

8. jetsam macrumors 6502

I do exactly the same thing. Emergency calls (people on my "Favorites list") can still get through, but nothing else.

9. CTHarrryH macrumors 65816

push the silent switch and thus no sound

10. noobinator macrumors 601

iPhones are so good at standby that you would definitely use more power turning it off and on than leaving it in airplane mode all night and use less possibly just on DND.

11. joeblow7777 macrumors 68040

I just let it be. No one calls or texts me in the middle of the night, and if they do, it must be a real emergency. Left in standby, my phone never loses more than 1% power overnight, so that's not an issue either.

12. dontwalkhand macrumors 601

dontwalkhand

Just plug it in at night and set up a DND schedule.
    --- Post Merged, May 12, 2016 ---
    That's what do not disturb is for and plugging it in at night.
    --- Post Merged, May 12, 2016 ---
    That's what do not disturb is for.

13. Skika macrumors 68030

14. Murgatroyd macrumors member

Murgatroyd

After reading this article I always enable Airplane mode at night. I'd like to do something about the Internet cable router situated next to my bed, but turning this off at night and then on in the morning seems a tad too much of a habit I prefer not to engage myself in. So it goes

The Mercola website is an excellent source of information for those so inclined towards many health issues.

15. AustinIllini macrumors demi-god

AustinIllini

Do not Disturb. I wish there was a way to auto set to DND when I'm in a meeting

16. smacrumon thread starter Suspended

smacrumon

Thanks everyone, some interesting and different combinations!

17. pmau macrumors 65816

I know I'm late but I want to comment on AirPlane mode and reachability.

There is a Framework (code) in iOS that tells an App what network connectivity is available.
    For example you can disable mobile data for specific Apps.

Unfortunately most Apps are really badly written and just fire HTTP requests at will.
    This situation has been getting worse since Apple allowed limited background network activities with scheduled requests.

The problem arises that stupid Apps are trying to make networking calls even though no reachable network is available.
    So it might even be that your battery suffers from AirPlane mode because Apps are trying again and again to schedule their code to make network calls.

Just something to consider.

But in general I also use the approach to go to Airplane mode and then enable Wifii to ensure not to get distracted by calls or SMS but still let some Apps have networking available.

18. Newtons Apple macrumors Pentium

Newtons Apple

My iPhone has never been turned off. It replaced my landline and I run all of my business on it so at night I turn the volume down so that I can hear it if I am awake and not hear it if sleeping. It is on 24-7 since introduction day

19. pojo1806 macrumors 68000

I have DnD to automatically turn on from 11pm - 6am, never get woken up in the night by pesky emails/calls/texts anymore.

20. poakenfold macrumors newbie

poakenfold

I do power off my iPhone once every 3 days whenever i get time. Gives a breather to the processor and if I'm not wrong I've read many articles from experts, it does elongate your phone's life in the long run. But it doesn't make much difference since most people upgrade every 2-3 years.

21. bufffilm macrumors 68040

bufffilm

You can... if you're jail-broken.

22. bushido Suspended

bushido

phone is on mute 24/7 and charging over night. therefore it doesnt bother me

23. kch50428 macrumors 6502

kch50428

24. AustinIllini macrumors demi-god

AustinIllini

No thank you. I will likely never jailbreak my device.

25. Shadowbech macrumors 68040

I just simply have a scheduled DND from 10 pm to 7 pm. I never practice turning off my phone every night and to turn it on the next day. Just a waste of time and plus turning it on uses a bit more power at first as it requires the CPU to do a lot of thinking. Plus you have to enter the passcode for the first time after every reboot (if you use Touch ID that is). Just too much hassle. I do however reboot the device once a week.