To sell or not to sell my iPhone 4..

Discussion in 'iPhone' started by vampireszombies, Jul 12, 2011.

1. vampireszombies macrumors 6502

Hi everyone,
    I'm thinking of selling my white iphone 4 and getting an unlocked cheap blackberry or something until the next iPhone is released. Since Im sorta bored and wanting something new already. Would it be dumb to do?

So my next questions are: How much is a good asking price for a 16gb white i4 thats in perfect condition? (powersupport screen prot. on back and front + side prot.) (I got $350 for my black 16gb i4 before, prices still the same out there?)

And whats a good unlocked phone to get?? Nokia n8? blackberry? Nexus one?
    I just want something that works as well (or near) as an iPhone does and lights that geek spark once more to keep me entertained until the new awesome iPhone comes out, and if possible a little extra cash in the pocket:p

Thank you so much for helping ;)

2. bandofbrothers macrumors 601

bandofbrothers

There's so much to do with the ip4 !

Selling it to have a make do handset is in my opinion a bad idea !
    Your just gonna loose money and if your now bored with the ip4 then you ain't going to be happy with a blackberry.

I would hang onto the ip4 and wait for the ip5.

If your still in this frame of mind then sell your ip4 to raise the cash for the ip5 when its released later this year or early next year.

3. mizzytheboy macrumors member

mizzytheboy

If you will change your iPhone then you should try Motorola Atrix, as price regards I certainly would not go below the above mentioned $ 350 because you are selling an extraordinary device.

4. BlindMellon macrumors 65816

BlindMellon

If you're going to sell it, now is the time. It will sell for less the closer we get to the iPhone 5 release.

5. Centient macrumors 6502

Sell it now. Assuming you're selling the GSM version there's no reason to think you shouldn't get around $400 for it. Guessing it's excellent condition and the new owner will get Apple Care with it as well. Keep in mind that you will never get more for it than you will right now. Wait too much longer and the market is going to be flooded with i4's and the value will drop.

If you've not had an Android device I'd probably give one a go. It's nice to know how the other half lives. ;)

6. ajvizzgamer101 macrumors 65816

If you are definitely wanting to get the iPhone 5 then I guess now would be the best time. Check Gazelle.com to see their values and stuff, they are normally pretty good.

7. vampireszombies thread starter macrumors 6502

Thanks for the feedback guys. It is a GSM version iPhone.
    Do you think a Nexus One is good? I can get one new on amazon for $270. or is it just plain old and outdated by now?
    What about a nokia N8? Anyone experience it?

8. awadeee macrumors 68020

awadeee

I personally would just enjoy the iPhone 4 that you have! I currently own a white 3Gs, a black 3Gs and a black 4 (this isn't counting all the iPhones I have in a box that don't quite work :D) and my next big purchase will be a white iPhone 4 unlocked, regardless of when the iPhone 5 comes out.

However, if your iPhone 4 is pretty near mint, you should be able to fetch $450 for it no problem.

9. fireshot91 macrumors 601

fireshot91

When getting my Captivate (Almost a year ago), I was debating between it and the Nexus One. I think that the Nexus One is an amazing piece of hardware: It's body is extremely well constructed, it has good features for it's time, and it runs stock Android.

But, I was fearful of it's age (It was already about 7-8 months old then), and decided to go for the Captivate. Plus, it was cheaper subsidized.

I still want a Nexus One. With current-gen specs, and the body of the N1, I'd be stupid not to buy one. No, the NexusS doesn't compare IMO.

N1: Has the great build-quality
    NS: Has the specs

HOPEFULLY the next Nexus has both great build quality, and specs.

10. tigress666 macrumors 68040

Huh? Ok, even if you get 450 for the iphone 4 now, if you are paying 270 for another phone, you just ate into those profits making it that you got 180 for your phone!

I got 160 for my 3G last year, that was 2 years old, after the 4 came out, and it had a crack in the back! And I didn't have to suffer through some crappy phone cause I waited til I had my new phone (I would say that's worth the loss in price, especially considering your phone will only be a little over one year when the 5 comes out).

So, going by some one else' figures up there, you save all of 20 bux (that is if you can get 450 for it) so you can suffer with a phone you don't want while waiting to get the one you want. I personally would just sacrifice the 20 to stay with the phone I love in wait for the phone I hope I'll love more.

And as I said, that is *if* you get 450 and that is *if* you could only get as much as I got for my 2 year old phone after a phone 2 generations newer came out. Honestly, I"m sure you can get more than 160 for your iphone 4 after the 5 comes out.

11. vampireszombies thread starter macrumors 6502

What? I dont think i'll get 450 for it, maybe if im lucky 400. Even so, whatever i sell it for, i have to buy another phone otherwise i'll be without one. As for the iPhone 5, im due for an upgrade this fall. So im not necessarily selling the 4 for the 5, but selling the 4 for something different until the 5.

12. gettysburg11s macrumors newbie

Wirelessly posted (Mozilla/5.0 (iPhone; U; CPU iPhone OS 4_3_3 like Mac OS X; en-us) AppleWebKit/533.17.9 (KHTML, like Gecko) Version/5.0.2 Mobile/8J2 Safari/6533.18.5)

Don't do it! I sold my iPhone 4 in the spring for an android phone and regreted it. I was able to get another iPhone, but I could only afford the 3GS. It's a great phone, and it runs all that the 4 does, but I miss the battery life and awesome screen/camera.

13. bandofbrothers macrumors 601

bandofbrothers

I came from the Nokia n8 to the ip4.

The n8 is a solid fone with good specs.

However the inbuilt browser in my experience was slow and clunky.

Using opera mini made using the n8 slightly better.

Ive heard anna will improve this.

Personally I got fed up of waiting for mine to connect and just hang until it timed out. This did not every time but enough for me to start wondering about an alternative.

On balance other n8 users have reported a good internet user experiance !

Hence my ip4 purchase.

14. Centient macrumors 6502

If those are your goals then the N1 probably is a good way to go. Granted it's not the latest tech or anything, but it does run the latest version of Android and while I've never owned one I think most owners are satisfied with it.

Not sure how this would work out for you, but you could also sign up with Virgin Mobile and get the LG Optimus V. The Optimus series is a sort of entry level Android phone that is available on several carriers. It's pretty well regarded for the price point, and speaking from experience it's not a bad phone.

You can get one on Amazon for $130.00, and for $25 a month you get unlimited text/data with 300 minutes per month contract free from Virgin Mobile. If you're interested in it you should do a little research to be sure that Virgin Mobile will work for you.

15. MonkeySee.... macrumors 68040

MonkeySee....

This thread made sense and then you made another post and took this thread on a one way journey to crazy town :confused:

16. LSUtigers03 macrumors 68020

LSUtigers03

What you get will just depend. I checked ebay about half an hour ago and a few auctions that ended within the hour had a bid of $355-430. You should get at least $350 but there's a good chance you'll get a little more. If you get $400 then you should only come out of pocket what you would have paid if you bought the iPhone 5 on contract.

17. Centient macrumors 6502

Got to remember to kick in ebay fees as well. Craigslist might not be a bad way to go in order to avoid ebay fees, but you have to be on guard a little. Of course ebay has its share of scammers as well.

If you are willing to settle for around $300 you could sell to a electronic trade-in company like gazelle.com. Or you could trade to Amazon for around $400 in credit. For some folks Amazon credit is as good as cash, and less hassle than selling.

18. gettysburg11s macrumors newbie

Wirelessly posted (Mozilla/5.0 (iPhone; U; CPU iPhone OS 4_3_3 like Mac OS X; en-us) AppleWebKit/533.17.9 (KHTML, like Gecko) Version/5.0.2 Mobile/8J2 Safari/6533.18.5)

Don't do it! I sold my iPhone 4 in the spring for an android phone and regreted it. I was able to get another iPhone, but I could only afford the 3GS. It's a great phone, and it runs all that the 4 does, but I miss the battery life and awesome screen/camera.

19. speed4tu macrumors member

if your are going to sell the iphone and buy another phone also take into consideration the price of the other one you are going to buy. Seems to me the cost of the "cheap" phone you will buy will offset the depreciation that u will loose in the meantime.

20. vampireszombies thread starter macrumors 6502

lol sorry, how?

21. vampireszombies thread starter macrumors 6502

I got offered $350 cash on craigslist. ebay confuses me so i dont use it :p
    Just to reclarify some people, I do need SOME cash in my pocket for personal reasons. The iPhone 5 price(whatever it is) is no problem in the fall since my contract will be up and i can pay the subsidized price. Im not saving money up for it now. I just want a good reliable something different smartphone to hold me off until then. Thanks :)

22. vampireszombies thread starter macrumors 6502

Yeah I know what you mean, I have taken a break before between iPhones over the years to android and it wasnt a very pleasant experience. But I havent lost money doing so. :(

23. tigress666 macrumors 68040

You have totally lost my point.

Here, let's assume the iphone 5 is going to be 600 dollars, assume you'll get 400 before the iphone 5 comes out, have to pay 270 for that phone you said you could get, and you would only get 160 for the 4 after (doubt it, I got that for my 2 year old with a cracked back 3G, but for argument's sake).

You sell now and buy a phone in the meantime:
    + 400 for the sale of the iphone 4
    - 270 for the temp phone
    - 600 for the iphone 5
    =470 dollars you spent total

Now, you wait and get the iphone 5
    + 180 for the sale of the iphone 4
    -600 for the iphone 5
    = 420 dollars you spent total.

That is less money to just wait and sell your iphone 4 after the 5 comes out *PLUS* you still get to use your 4 until the 5 comes out.

And, that is assuming an incredibly low ball sale of your 4, as I said, that price was what I got for a much older phone that had damage. I mean honestly, do you think just by the 5 coming out you are going to lose more than 1/2 the value of the phone in the sale?

THe only possible reasonable thing I could see for justifying it is if you wanted to try out a different phone than the iphone entirely. But from what you've been posting it sounds like you want the iphone 5 and are just worried that if you wait you'll lose value on the 4. My point is you'll lose more money if you sell now than if you wait even if the 4 loses more than half it's value! So unless there is a phone you want to try now, I'd say you are really foolish to sell now unless you get a dirt cheap temp phone (and honestly, I'd say having ot use a really crappy phone so wouldn't be worth it to me, and I'm on a tight budget!).

24. vampireszombies thread starter macrumors 6502

I entirely see your point. But to clarify some things; Im not buying the next iPhone full price, ill be up for an upgrade, so its gonna cost whatever the subsidized price is (iPhone 4 cost me $199, im pretty sure the next iPhone will be around that price or the same).

Next, I would love to keep my iPhone 4 till the next iPhone (that was the plan when i bought it) but i kinda need some extra money right now, hence me selling it (i was offered $350, three times so far) and getting something cheap & different to hold me off.

The problem is; I cant find a cheap phone to buy thats worth it, other than the nexus one for 270. I dont want to purchase a phone that is very outdated and a bummer to use.

I would appreciate if anyone out there recommends something thats nice to use and not 4 years old :)

Im honestly tied at what to do since i cant find a phone thats, to me, worth purchasing to hold me off for god knows how long till the next iphone is released.

25. pezasied182 macrumors 6502

Wait, you're selling a white 16gb for ATT and you don't know if you can get $400 for it? Do you live in Southern California? You can easily get at least $450 for that on craigslist. Maybe iPhone prices are artificially high here, but even black 16gbs sell for $400-450