To the 4Sers who upgraded to a 6

Discussion in 'iPhone' started by wdmn1234, Nov 5, 2014.

1. wdmn1234 macrumors newbie

How does it feel?

I'm trying to decide between a 5S and a 6. I know the specs on both and in that sense, to me, the 5S and the 6 are pretty darn close. So it boils down to feel. In hand, in pocket, sometimes on side of head.

I went to a store and held them both, but they had locks and leashes on them so I couldn't really tell, nor put them in my pocket. I like the idea of a larger screen because I read a lot on my phone: news, that kind of thing. But if it comes at the expense of the thing more or less disappearing in my pocket and being easy to do things with in my medium-sized hand, I'd go with the 5S.

Also, I'd be cool with caring the 5S without a case but I'd put a thin one on a 6 because of the protruding camera, ugly back and alleged slipperiness.

2. Jimmy James macrumors 68040

Jimmy James

I like the bigger screen. It's not as nice in hand as the 5 but worth it.

It's another matter in my pocket. It doesn't disappear. I'm often aware of it pressing against my hip in my standard dress pants and jeans. As a result I have 5s size envy.

3. jim.hickman.777 macrumors regular

5s is on the way to being obsolete why would you want something that isn't new?

4. Grolubao macrumors 65816

Grolubao

The 5/5S are definitely more comfortable, having said that the larger screen is so much easier to write on and I believe I will get used to the 6

5. Altis macrumors 68020

Personally, I find that my 4S feels heavy and small after holding the 6. I would say that, for me at least, the 6 causes less strain on my wrists and hands. I still find the 5S too small, but everyone's hands are different.

6. themyst macrumors 6502

I'm still using a 4S right now as my work phone, it's ok in terms of size. Gets me what I need to see in a pinch, but I also have a Note 2, which is the same screen size as a 6 Plus.

One handed use does not really mean much; I find that those who insist on it being a dealbreaker are the ones who text and drive or play with their phone while driving, or utilizing public transportation (e.g. trains, subways).

7. mikeka macrumors newbie

4S to 6 owner here. Loved the 4S for one-handed operation but the 6 is not too bad. I'm getting used to it. I do like the lightness of the 6 over the 4S and of course like the larger screen size. 6+ way too big for me personally. Happy with the new phone but would not want any phone that I own to be larger than the 6.

8. wdmn1234 thread starter macrumors newbie

Hmmm. So there's 5S size envy and a few people "getting used to" the 6. But nobody so far who finds the bigger screen a big improvement in user experience or just flat out loves it in that way that Apple used to inspire. Or am I on the wrong forum?

Being that the 5s is nowhere near obsolete, I'm thinking that might be the better choice. I carry my phone in my pocket all day every day and I don't want some clumsy thing that I have to get used to. Also, one handedness is more for surfing the web or whatever. I pretty much never type one handed and I don't text and drive. For me, a bigger screen is all about reading news sites, writing emails and stuff.

9. baller1308 macrumors 6502a

I think you will be fine with the 6. You'll just have to hold in more in the fingers and less in the palm and you should be able to reach the entire screen unless you have tiny hands.

10. perezr10 macrumors 6502a

I have an iPhone 6 and honestly, I prefer the iPhone 5s due to the small size. I also think it's more attractive with those cool looking beveled edges. I never minded the smaller screen because I use my iPad for anything over 5 minutes and everything is so reachable. Plus, it so easy to grip. And the A7 isn't that much different than the A8, still beats out most phones on the market.

But, the iPhone 6 camera is a HUGE improvement over the 5s. It is the sole reason I'm staying with my 6. Honestly, the camera is that good.

11. quietstormSD macrumors 6502a

quietstormSD

I moved from the 4S to the 6 (was a long long 3 year wait). When I first had my hands on the 6, I thought it was a great size. Nice and big, but not too big. I thought about the 6+ but I thought that would have been so drastic from the 4S. But now that I'm so used to the 6, I kinda wish I got a 6+.

I never had a 5 or 5S so I can't really tell you how it compares to the 6 with daily use. I would say get a 6 definitely. Along with the A8 chip, better camera, NFC capabilities (probably will be fully unlocked by iOS 9) and bigger display, I think the 6 is a no brainer.

12. tpjunkie macrumors 65816

tpjunkie

Just went from a 4s to a 6+. I like it but I am still getting used to it requiring two hands for some texting and other use.

This sucker is HUGE

13. Supermallet macrumors 65816

Supermallet

If you surf the web a lot, the increased size of the 6 will be much nicer than the 5S. I always found the 5S screen constraining for the web, and while I did emails on it, I barely read anything. Now I'm reading on my 6 Plus all the time, books, news (RSS), you name it.

I know you asked about the 6, not the Plus, but I think you'll find the 6 is a very good balance between size of the screen and feel in the hand.

14. madriven79 macrumors newbie

I did upgrade from 4s to 5s just two weeks ago. I was waiting for the 6 to come out but when I saw it I felt that it was too big for me. I am happy with the 5s and even thouh the screen is only half an inch bigger than the 4s, it's a noticeable improvement.

15. Acronyc macrumors 6502a

I upgraded from a 4s to a 6 and it feels like a huge improvement. No regrets at all. The factory unlocked capability is useful because I travel frequently. I also read and email a lot on my phone and the bigger screen has been really great. Taking public transportation every day the 6+ was just too big for me to comfortably use with one hand. I hope to get the same number of years with my 6 as I did with my 4s.

16. Ringside macrumors regular

Ringside

I went from a 4s to the 6. I'm absolutely in love with the 6! My 4s was on it's last leg. Slow as hell and the home button was not very responsive. Takes a couple days to get use to the increased size, but once you do it feels just awesome. The screen is amazing and everything opens and loads so damn fast! Initially I was a little underwhelmed at the looks of the new iPhone when they unveiled it but after getting it, I have totally changed my opinion. It's truly a beautiful looking/performing device. I also didn't know how I felt about it being so thin but now I think Apple completely nailed it with the dimensions. Really quite a remarkable and powerful piece of technology. Coming from a 4s on iOS 6 to the iP6 on iOS 8.1 feels like a big leap forward to me and I for one love it! My 4s already feels like a tiny antique phone. I loved that thing for 3 years! I can't imagine using anything in the future from this point on smaller than the 4.7 screen. It really takes the iPhone experience to another level IMO.

17. wdmn1234 thread starter macrumors newbie

How does a 6 feel in the pocket compared to the 4/4s? Does the fact that it's actually lighter and thinner come into play? I carry my phone in my front jeans pocket.

18. tcphoto macrumors 6502a

tcphoto

Going from the 4S to the 6 was quite a jump, it's thinner, lighter and the display is much larger. I held a friends 5S but was never tempted to buy one. I also carry the phone in my jeans pocket and it sticks out slightly, I could not imagine buying a 6+.

19. Ringside macrumors regular

Ringside

I carry my 6 in my front pocket. I don't find it bothersome. You'll notice it more than the 4 because of the increased size but the thinness really helps to keep it manageable.

20. AppleDApp macrumors 68020

AppleDApp

I opted for a 5s instead of a 6 mainly due to form factor but I also saved in the process.

21. TraceyS/FL macrumors 68040

I went from a 4 to a 6.

No regrets, but it did take some getting used to the size.

When I work I carry it in the front pocket of my khakis (form fitting, not baggy) and it is "more there" than the 4 was in the apple silicone case. That is only my biggest issue. I have one pair of shorts I don't mind it in (more like, don't worry it is going to fall out of my pocket), but overall I'm back to using a small purse. I need to find a holster I like.

For me personally, the width isn't the issue with the 6, the jump in length is what was the most noticeable in my pocket. So I'm guessing the 5s would have been the same for me. That is what changed how it fits in the pocket.

Hopefully you can find someone with one to try it in your pocket.

Oh and, it's so stinking light after the 4 I'm still amazed each time I pick it up. I love the way it feels!

22. Sheza macrumors 68000

Sheza

OP you're mad to want to upgrade to anything that isn't the latest version. You'll be stuck with a 2013 phone for what, another 2 years? The iPhone 7 will be out by the time you upgrade. Ouch. (And it still won't be your beloved 4" screen size)

23. wdmn1234 thread starter macrumors newbie

OP here. I like the screen size of the 6, actually. I went to a store and played with the 6 and the screen is awesome, makes my 4S seem cramped and makes the 5S feel essentially like the 4S.

It's all about overall footprint. I'm hooked on my smartphone like everybody else, but I want it to serve my needs with power and grace, then be chill and disappear in my pocket while I go about my day.

When I upgraded to my 4S from my slow, buggy 3G, it was the easiest decision in the world: new iPhone, clearly better than the last, one size fits all. Now, smartphones all do the same things and the makers are left trying to one-up last year's model, and each other, so they're able to sell as much product as possible. I'm only upgrading because my current phone is getting laggy and doesn't hold a healthy charge.

That leaves the question: Which super neato Apple toy to spend my hard-earned money on and enjoy for the next few years while concentrating my energy on more important things? It's hilarious that there are like 40 threads in this forum alone to help me along this perilous road. :)

24. packers85 macrumors newbie

I wish I got the 5s instead of the 6. The camera on the 6 produces this blotchy, almost watercolor effect on pictures.

25. avital macrumors newbie

I have the iPhone 6 and i really like it. But the best feeling i got from an iPhone was iPhone 5c. Even if 5s and 6 is much better devices, i really liked the feeling of the 5c :)