To those buying the 2011 refresh, are you gonna wait for Lion?

Discussion in 'iMac' started by Kendo, Apr 7, 2011.

  1. Kendo macrumors 68000

    Apr 4, 2011
    I had no idea that Snow Leopard was released nearly 2 years ago. This will be my first iMac purchase and I'm not sure if it is worth waiting a few more months for Lion to become pre-installed or if I should go ahead and purchase the refresh as soon as it comes out?

    The way I see it, since I'll be experiencing OSX for the first time, Snow Leopard should have everything I need and it will take me months to learn it. But 2 years seems like a long time for an OS release. It only makes me wonder if major features will be added.

    To those buying the 2011 refresh, the wait has been painful. Are you going to sacrifice waiting a few more months for Lion? Or will you essentially pay $129 to have the iMac early knowing full well you will purchase Lion when it comes out?
  2. Spyriadon macrumors regular


    Mar 27, 2011
    No, that's the short answer.

    Long answer: Ive been waiting long enough for my new mac to cope without the bugs and other teething issues that will come with Lion in the fist few months.

    If any of my gear stops working i'm screwed so as the saying goes.
    "If it ain't broke don't fix it".
  3. Kendo thread starter macrumors 68000

    Apr 4, 2011
    Appreciate the links but those seem to pertain to when an iMac with Lion pre-installed will be released, if iMacs won't be released until Lion comes out, or if it is worth waiting for the new iMac in general.

    I am more curious if those who are waiting for the refresh will purchase one right away, or wait longer for Lion to be pre-installed.
  4. colmaclean macrumors 68000


    Jan 6, 2004
    Apple have previously offered an OS upgrade for a reduced price to customers who purchased new hardware in the previous few months before its release.

    So we could see Snow Leopard installed on the new iMacs but with the option to "cheaply" upgrade to Lion on release.
  5. Kendo thread starter macrumors 68000

    Apr 4, 2011
    I had a feeling something like this might be offered however I thought it would have been a free upgrade for those who purchased an iMac within 30 days and anything after would be subject to the full price. If it is pro-rated, like $75 for those that purchased an iMac 3 months before, that would be great.
  6. Sodner macrumors 68020


    Jan 12, 2011
    Pittsburgh, PA
    Are you kidding??

    It's killing me to wait for the hardware refresh. No way I'll also be able to wait out the new OS.

    Once the new iMac's are out I'm buying.
  7. DePaulBlueDemon macrumors regular


    Sep 27, 2010

    I just applied to grad school. If I'm accepted, I'll get the new iMac. If it comes before Lion (which it most likely will), so be it.
  8. MTI macrumors 65816

    Feb 17, 2009
    Scottsdale, AZ
    . . . besides, you'll want to wait until the Lion updates and bug fixes are released . . . ;)
  9. mrzeigler macrumors regular

    Oct 15, 2005
    You're planning to start classes before the end of August?

    If not, waiting until Lion's release not only will save upgrade money at some point, but it also bumps your purchase date back to the months when Apple usually offers back-to-school incentives (such as free/discounted iPods) to students/teachers who buy with an education discount.

    That's why I'm waiting.
  10. ShiftyGray macrumors regular

    May 19, 2010
  11. ascii42 macrumors member

    Feb 26, 2011
    Not sure. I've waited nearly 6 years, obviously I could wait longer. On the other hand, I've waited nearly 6 years.
  12. ngenerator macrumors 68000


    May 12, 2009
    USG Ishimura
    Who said I'm buying Lion at all? I'd miss the Leopard lights under open programs too much
  13. mrj412 macrumors regular

    May 27, 2009
    I'm not waiting ... I have to buy Lion for my other three Macs anyway

    As for the lights under the programs in Lion: That is easily enabled again through the dock preferences.
  14. bennettave macrumors member

    Mar 18, 2011
    I plan on buying a 27 or 30" 2011 iMac. I am a teacher, and will use the education discount. For me, the sweet spot might be the last week in May or first week of June. Here's why:

    1. The back to school special will most likely start and I will get a free iPod Touch with the computer

    2. The purchase will most likely be within 30 days of Lion's release - which will most likely bring a discount on the new OS.

    An added bonus is that it is much easier waiting for a date than waiting for a release.
  15. basesloaded190 macrumors 68030


    Oct 16, 2007
    Nope. Been waiting quite a while, more excited about the new computer compared to getting lion.
  16. DePaulBlueDemon macrumors regular


    Sep 27, 2010
    That's definitely great advice, but I was thinking it would be a present to myself for getting into grad school rather than a tool I will be using for my studies. :)
  17. philipma1957 macrumors 603


    Apr 13, 2010
    Howell, New Jersey
    I am looking to get lion an ipod and a new imac and or mac mini in july or aug
  18. Jorojr macrumors newbie

    Dec 10, 2008
    Probably not. I've upgraded all my systems this year, and the only thing remaining is the iMac. My late 2006 Core Duo system is going to get shipped to my sister later this month.
  19. Benz63amg macrumors 68020


    Oct 17, 2010
    New York, NY
    nope im not waitin for lion, ill just buy it when it comes out, i dont like playing the waiting game after i waited for over a year already. :D
  20. Spyriadon macrumors regular


    Mar 27, 2011
    Just a little info for you all, i checked in every electronics store in leeds today and the local shopping centre (white rose) and there all running out of stock on all imacs.
  21. Behemecoatyl macrumors member

    Apr 5, 2011
    The iMac is far more of an upgrade, the OS can be changed at any time.
    Being able to run 10.6 can also be a benefit for the first year or two for software compatibility.
  22. iMikeT macrumors 68020

    Jul 8, 2006
    I'm at least waiting to see what's announced at WWDC.

    My reasons:

    1) Apple should begin their back-to-school free iPod promotion by the end of May, I estimate the 24th or 31st. It would be nice to get a free iPod (touch) with the iMac.

    2) WWDC takes place a couple of weeks after Apple is expected to begin the back-to-school promotion. Considering that I have waited this long, what's another couple of weeks?

    A June or July release of Lion, sure I'll wait. An August or September release, which is very likely, will drive me nuts.
  23. iSayuSay macrumors 68030


    Feb 6, 2011
    I actually live in Singapore. If somehow Apple release iMac 2011 refresh on May, I won't be able to get it on DAY 1 .. it'll 2 or 3 eff** months to get here
    I can't be as lucky as you guys who live in US, you can grab 'em while they hot

    But there's a flip-side though, I can get my 2011 iMac along with OSX Lion, that's for sure, with my condition I can't even get iMac with 10.6.7 on it :D

    So yes, I'll automatically get 2011 iMac with Lion, since software distribution take place sooner than hardware one.

Share This Page