To those complained about bricked iPhones and 3rd party apps

Discussion in 'iPhone' started by levitynyc, Oct 11, 2007.

1. levitynyc macrumors 65816

You honestly have NO right to complain, sue, or bash apple.

You knew every single piece of information going in.

You knew the phone was exclusive to AT&T and that it wouldn't support 3rd party apps. I am glad your phones are bricked and that you now own a 400 or 600 dollar paperweight.

2. rdowns macrumors Penryn

rdowns

A lot of members are tired of the complaining threads but is this the best way to deal with it?

That said, I kinda agree with your sentiment. :p

3. synth3tik macrumors 68040

synth3tik

Although I applaud your effort. This type of thread has been posted to death.

If we ignore them they will go away.....(yes I got bet up in grade school:()

4. skubish macrumors 68030

skubish

I am tired of seeing the forum flooded with these complaints threads about updating unlocked phones or bricking your phone. Apple has been very clear and upfront about their policies.

I vote for locking all complaints threads.

5. levitynyc thread starter macrumors 65816

Sorry. I just got the iPhone and I love it. I am a loyal mac user and I like to lurk on these boards.

After I bought the phone and started viewing the iPhone topic, I can't believe all of the posters complaining and making radical claims that the iPhone sucks and its a disaster and a failure. The only basis of these claims is people who wanted or want to make the iPhone something that it isnt.

The only thing it is really missing and worth complaining about is the lack of an iChat application and a way to send picture messages.

6. plumbingandtech macrumors 68000

I agree.

Also this is a good blog post:

http://daringfireball.net/2007/10/un_in_unsupported

7. polishmacuser macrumors 6502a

polishmacuser

your a apple kiss ass you know that people are suing for there rights we have every right to unlock our phones so we dont have to spend 4,000 dollars when traveling unless your made of money ok and apple did this purposefully so get a life i by mistake pressed yes to update and well i got screwed over and the 3rd party apps crap all over the web apps enjoy paying more money to drmed music through your phone while i enjoy my ringtones and and kick ass themes:cool:

8. DeaconGraves macrumors 65816

DeaconGraves

Or you could have bought a phone that has better international roaming plans and the features you wanted.

Or... wait, did everyone else stop making phones when the iPhone came out? I forget.

9. levitynyc thread starter macrumors 65816

No you don't have a right to unlock your phones. You are more than welcome to, but if something breaks you are beat on the warranty.

Try tricking out a new car with 3rd party parts and see how far you get if you want warranty support from the manufacturer.

10. plumbingandtech macrumors 68000

I think the "big" upgrade (I hope.) comes after leopard for the iphone will separate the wheat from the chaffe as far as thos folks who are "1.0.2" for-evar goes.

If they do a leopard update with a PDF reader, ichat mobile, MMS and maybe iwork doc readers, :eek:

That's my dream update there. And I am sure I am not the only one.

11. fj2007cruiser macrumors member

Charge me for music I already paid once for because I want a ringtone
    Charge me twice to get that ringtone even though I downloaded the song.
    Extort and threaten that I won't have a warranty if I attempt to place applications that I desire on my phone. Stability has nothing to do with it in the sense of software. A stable capital flow is what Apple wants at all costs even if they take advantage of the folks that made Apple the strong company they atre today. I've created a monster. A greedy one at that. I have lost all respect for Apple. Even Microsoft gives you freedom to customize your phones (WM5 and WM6), etc.
    Apple you have gone too far. Many early adopters are curious techies and you have turned them off.
    In a sense Apple has bit off the hand that feeds it. I am surprised that Apple that touts creativity and individualism would attempt to squelch these creative people.
    I love the iPhone and am very happy with it. I am NOT happy with Apple's strong arm and greedy tactics. To the guy that said "I am glad your phones are bricked and that you now own a 400 or 600 dollar paperweight." Shame on you. You obviously missed the entire point. A real pity.

12. darngooddesign macrumors G3

The point is that you're a moron if you ended up with a bricked, perviously unlocked phone because you ignored Apple's warnings and ran a VOLUNTARY update.

I'm an early adopter and I'm not turned off because I'm not stupid enough to get rid of my apps, themes, and free ringtones just for the weak 111 update. Lets see, multi-protocol IM client or Starbucks shill, yeah thats a tough choice.

Man you people sound like whiny little bitches.

13. Nicolasdec macrumors 65816

Nicolasdec

14. RossoA macrumors 6502

RossoA

Everyone bitches about this, and yet, over here, you pay something like £3 for 15-20 seconds of ringtone. That's about $6.

So, getting a complete song, and a ringtone (of 30 seconds) and being able to chose exactly which part of the song you want, for about £1.20, is perfectly fine by me.

...and there's no shame. I'm glad the dirty hack0rz got ****ed over, after all, they all knew Apple didn't allow 3rd party apps.

I guess someone has to be the stupid clown that figures out it gets bricked.

15. levitynyc thread starter macrumors 65816

You knew every bit of this information going in and you still bought the phone.

16. darngooddesign macrumors G3

Then people would complain that MacRumors bricked the thread. :D

17. emotion macrumors 68040

emotion

Troll.

Where's the admins when you need them?

18. RossoA macrumors 6502

RossoA

Complaining about people who use 'gay' as an adjective..

19. PDE macrumors 68020

Thank you for that. I also contributed to creating a monster and have also lost most of my excitement about Apple. All I see is the greed and narrow-mindedness. I wish there were a better alternative, but OS X is still the best out there and the iphone is my favourite phone so I'm still with them.

Oh, to the OP: why did you post at all?

20. clevin macrumors G3

clevin

classic apple stock owners vs. users
    classic old fashion apple loyal fans vs. newly convert freedom chasing users

people, if you don't like ATT, and feel iPhone is so limited, go get a iPT (abb. for iPod Touch), or a PDA.

iPhone is a joint child of APPLE and ATT, two companies that sure can't stand much of the freedom as you want. Its very much expected that apple will use every update to brick it if its hacked.

iPT has all the stuff you can do on iPhone except phone now, and cheaper...

21. PDE macrumors 68020

I would have purchased a touch, but it was crippled by Apple: no mail.app and no calendar entry. If Apple had included those simple things, I would have done that instead and continued to use my Sony ericsson. I'm sure a lot of people feel the same way. BTW, I'm probably in the category "classic old fashion apple loyal fan tired of Apple greed and narrow-mindedness".

22. err404 macrumors 68020

Actually you do have the RIGHT to unlock your phone, but if you do Apple has the option to not support you. That said I think Apple crosses a line when they outright void your warranty for a software change. For example, from what I have seen, the phone has a reasonably high rate of failure on screens. I'm not talking about BS screen quality issues, but rather real defects that result in the complete or partial loss of touch sensitivity. I'm not sure how they justify absolving themselves of responsibility for physical defects.
    I admit that this could be spun as a tricky issue in that some applications really can cause failures (like burning out the vibrator from excessive use) but unless they can show that a mod resulted in the issue it should be on their plate to rectify it. Let's not get into issues of "faking" dead screens in software, since as a consumer I don't like business models that presume I'm committing fraud.

I don't think that Apple has any obligation to go out of their way to support hacks; however making changes for the purpose of breaking something is not acceptable. I'm not saying that this is what happened, since a lot of what was changed has good justification as to improving the phone, but I don't think anyone would argue that a large portion of the changes are directly intended to restrict the owner from accessing it. I don't care if breaking "functionality" is legal for Apple or not, but as a consumer the arbitrary lock down of any device from it's owner is disappointing and makes me wary of Apple polices and products going forward.

I guess the whole point of this is, just because something is legal, doesn't make it right.

23. err404 macrumors 68020

How can anyone not find that completely despicable?

24. PDE macrumors 68020

Absolutely agreed.

Yes it is.

25. clevin macrumors G3

clevin

It is.

Hack the iPT, it runs everything iPhone can run other than camera and phone