To those of you thinking that HTML 5 will save you from flash

Discussion in 'iPad' started by Tarzanman, Aug 16, 2011.

1. Tarzanman macrumors 65816

....think again!

From http://www.infoworld.com/print/169665

HTML5 heralds some nifty new features and the potential for sparking a Web programming paradigm shift, and as everyone who has read the tech press knows, there is nothing like HTML5 for fixing the Internet. Sprinkle some HTML5 into your code, and your websites will be faster and fancier -- it'll make your teeth white, too. But the reality of what HTML5 can do for those seeking native-app performance on the Web falls short of the hype.

After several years of enjoying HTML5's sophisticated new tags and APIs, the time is ripe to admit that there are serious limitations with the model. Not only are there reasons to grouse about HTML5 failing to fulfill our Web nirvana dreams, there are even reasons to steer away from HTML5 in some cases........... click to read rest of article

2. vrDrew macrumors 65816

To those of you who think we care about Flash

We don't.

3. Cha macrumors regular

You do realize that HTML 5 has not been finalized yet.

4. jaseone macrumors 65816

jaseone

Everything in that article also applies to Flash, Flash is client side just like HTML 5 is and has all the same challenges that comes with that.

5. dustinl4m3 macrumors regular

6. macingman macrumors 68020

macingman

Flash is going to die because companies aren't stupid enough to make new sites in flash as if they do their websites are unviewable on ipad, iphone and a whole host of other devices. In short Apple are technically trying to phase out flash.

7. scaredpoet macrumors 604

scaredpoet

I'm not expecting HTML5 to save me from Flash. I don't need saving.

However, Flash needs replacing, and I fully expect HTML5 will replace Flash eventually.

8. Apple... macrumors 68020

Apple...

I second this.

9. henry72 macrumors 65816

henry72

I'm not talking about games here.

For those website which are STILL using flash, they're so DUMB and Stupid.
    Why the hell do they need flash, look at Apple.com :cool::rolleyes:

10. paulcdb macrumors regular

For people who think iOS will ever get flash...

Think again! ;)

Now can we drop it, this topic is almost as annoying as the next iPhone rumors.

11. erayser macrumors 65816

erayser

I hardly see any websites that have the flash "?" anymore. When I browse to a website that says that flash is required, I open up the iSwifter app... which works pretty well with flash sites... to see what I'm missing... only to find out that I'm missing nothing.

12. res1233 macrumors 65816

res1233

Bottom line is this: Flash was created to fill a void. HTML5 will likely be, when finalized, capable of filling that same void, at least for the most part. It's much the same reason Javascript and CSS exist, although those didn't end up being proprietary. Even Adobe seems to be moving to HTML5. Its days are numbered.

13. chrono1081 macrumors 604

chrono1081

Adobe seems to agree too. They finally just released their HTML5 authoring tools.

I don't know what the point of this entire thread is but anyone who thinks flash is fine the way it is doesn't know much about web technologies.

14. boonlar macrumors 6502

You have to be naive as hell to think that flash is going to die. Every university in the country has courses that teach flash programming and design. There are people whos careers are to use flash. You think just because Steve Jobs doesn't like it that it's going away? Hells no. As the Android market overtakes iOS there won't be that need to move to html5 since iOS will just be the minority like OSX is on the desktop. Everyday I use my iPhone I wish I had the option to use flash. My android tablet runs it perfectly and I play flash videos and use flash objects daily. You guys feel like you don't miss flash but that's just because you don't see it on your phone. Who knows how many videos or things you've missed because of lack of flash. The iPhone 5 better be freaking amazing or I'm considering moving my to an android phone due to flash and also the file system access.

15. chrono1081 macrumors 604

chrono1081

Like I said above, people who think Flash is good know nothing about web technologies. You will be hard pressed to find any web designer who likes Flash. When Adobe launches utilities to convert flash to HTML5 that should be plenty of warning signs that Flash's days are numbered.

16. boonlar macrumors 6502

I don't care what standard is used but I hate being Apple's guinea pig. They are making the sacrifice for me and I don't appreciate it. You guys can rage your flash war but I'd rather have it until it's gone if it ever does go away which I doubt very much.

17. res1233 macrumors 65816

res1233

Having to muck around with the filesystem is a bug, not a feature. The apps should have all the files you want waiting and ready to be accessed, like they do on iOS.

18. bri1212 macrumors 6502

Kind of think that you have to be naive as hell to believe that flash isn't already dying. Yes University's teach Flash, they also teach latin, ancient greek, biblical arabic, and ancient Mayan. Seems to me University's teach a lot of dead languages.
    If you really miss Flash, then by all means join the droid jungle. But when you use flash and file system access as your excuses, it seems to me you may also be headed to be put up right next to those ancient languages and extinct animals in the stacks at the library.

19. chrono1081 macrumors 604

chrono1081

Theres no war, you are not a guinea pig. The fact is flash runs poorly on Mobile devices, something that many people agree on and something Adobe's CEO couldn't even answer for. Apple didn't want it destroying the iPad user experience so they didn't include it. Everyone knew this before buying an iPad.

Flash started going downhill when Adobe bought out Macromedia. With no competition Adobe let flash stagnate. I remember back when Flash was awesome, not so much anymore.

Honestly if you want these things, an iPad isn't for you. It sounds like you would be better suited for a full computer.

20. boonlar macrumors 6502

I mean the ability to access files anywhere in the system. I can go online and download any type of file and save it in any folder. I can open folders cut/paste them and then reupload files through the browser. You can't do any of this on iOS and it sucks tremendously. The only files you can work with on iOS are pictures and music I believe at least without third party apps.

21. res1233 macrumors 65816

res1233

I will agree with you on that. There should be some central repository for files that can be accessed from any app. A full filesystem would be overkill in my opinion, but we do need something.

22. Jnava420 macrumors regular

You do know what site your on right....macRUMORS, if your annoyed with rumors your on the wrong site.

23. Marli macrumors regular

Not having flash is a major issue with the iPad. Also not having a file system. If you start and email you can't attach any files to it.. Who thought that was a good idea?.

24. NZed macrumors 65816

NZed

HTML5 is not yet a complete product. By the time it is, these missing features would probably be filled in. And of course, HTML6 will be coming up after HTML5! Think about the future!

25. chrono1081 macrumors 604

chrono1081

Yes you can. Go into whatever app has what you want to attach and you can mail whatever you want. I can send pictures, documents, even paintings done in brushes.