Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

RiceRacerDX

macrumors 6502
Jan 31, 2009
I have purchased a new iPhone every year on release day since the era of the original iPhone. It seems that each year, AT&T bends its rules to allow existing customers with multi-year contracts to purchase the next iPhone with another multi-year contract. But if you are still unsure, you can always call *NEW# (or *639#) and you will receive a confirmation text to find out if you are eligible.

crawsfire

macrumors member
Oct 1, 2010
I still see people walking around with original iPhones and for the life of me cant understand why. It basically costs nothing to upgrade every year.

I pay less for a year of service than most people pay for two months by paying a MVNO instead of AT&T. I can do without the newest phone.

Wicked1

macrumors 68040
Apr 13, 2009
New Jersey
I have 4 phones on my family plan and out bill is in the $240 per mont range, but I always keep 1-2 lines open, so the deal I made with my kids is they always get a last year model iPhone and they don't have to buy it so I get a new one every year and they don't have to switch to their own contract, works great for all of us as I keep my devices in perfect condition, and they do not really mind. My wife says she will keep her iP4 for ever, but we will see next June, she is just as much of a tech junkie as I am :rolleyes:

ScKcBc

macrumors regular
Jun 23, 2010
I have 3 lines. This year, only 1 was available at full upgrade and the other 2 were subsidized. So heres how it went down...

A (me) - had an 8gb iphone 3g
B (gf) - had a 16gb iphone 3gs
C (mom) - had an 8gb 3g

I upgraded all 3 lines and laid out the $$. (A) $199 + (B) $299 + (C) $299. Came to $955 (give or take with tax and that $30 fee they charge)

I sold both (A and C) 3g's for $150 each, that was $300 cash. I also sold (C) iphone 4 brand new in the box for $750 cash. I gave the (B) 3gs to my mom.

When I was done, me and the gf both got 4's and my mom got a 3gs and we spent nothing.

I do that kind of stuff every year to get iphones. BUT, the first year when the first one came out, I laid out $1200 to get 2 brand new phones for me and my gf. Since then I've been hustling my way into each one for nothing or close to it.

SAD*FACED*CLOWN

macrumors 65816
Apr 5, 2010
Houston, TX
it's based on the length of tenure as an AT&T customer and/or whether or not you spend more than 100 pre tax monthly....and you can't have any balance remaining at the time you request an early upgrade

pilotkid

macrumors 6502a
Aug 22, 2006
Chandler, AZ/Chicago, IL
Every year I pay the full price. Its $500 bucks for the highest memory phone(32GB). To help offset the cost I keep my phones in very good condition and sell it on eBay every year. I have always gotten a minimum of $300, so then I'm only out 250 bucks including tax at my local Apple Store.

bmwhd

macrumors 6502a
May 22, 2008
2G->3G
3G->3GS
3GS->4

Each time, sold previous phone on eBay for more than full price of new phone.

Plan to continue this model until the end of time. :)

h1r0ll3r

macrumors 68040
Dec 28, 2009
Maryland
Get new phone ---> JB and unlock
Sell on eBay
Get new phone

Usually, even without getting the upgrade pricing, I still make enough to cover most of the cost of the new phone. This last go round, 3G to iPhone 4, I was eligible for upgrade so I got the $300 price for the 32gb one. Sold old phone for ~$200, won the company poker tournament +~$100, so I essentially paid nothing for upgrading :D

As long as I'm able to continue this then I'll get the newest model every time with paying little to nothing out of pocket. Now that my IP4 is JB'd/unlocked, should be ok whenever the next gen iPhone comes out.

dagomike

macrumors 65816
Jun 22, 2007
Like most I have a family plan any my wife gets last year's tech.

Frankly she would be happy with a dumb phone, so I could actually pay the early upgrade fee or ETF and be further ahead. This way though we're just actually getting something for the money.

A single line that is billed $99/mo has historically be eligible for early upgrade in 12 months. A family plans don't qualify because the formula is per phone, unless you've got $200 plan for two lines.

Brien

macrumors 68040
Aug 11, 2008
I sell and use the money to pay for the upgrade.

I get the impression the majority of users upgrade yearly.

kjaxplicit24

macrumors regular
Nov 18, 2009
I usually sell my phone unlocked about a week before the new iphone is announced. Then I use the profits to pay little or nothing for the new one which is usually released about a month later.

djransom

macrumors 601
May 14, 2008
Chi-Town
I had a family account until me and the ex-wife split up and now it's just me. One of my lines was always open for an upgrade every year so I would use that. Now that I'm on my own and pay about $150, give or take, a month for unlimited calling, data, and texting I'm elgible every year. I checked my status yesterday and my next upgrade date is 6/22/11.

Mliii

macrumors 65816
Jan 28, 2006
Southern California
I had a family account until me and the ex-wife split up and now it's just me. One of my lines was always open for an upgrade every year so I would use that. Now that I'm on my own and pay about $150, give or take, a month for unlimited calling, data, and texting I'm elgible every year. I checked my status yesterday and my next upgrade date is 6/22/11.

I have the exact same situation and also am eligible for my next upgrade in June of 2011. Again, it comes down to how much we spend a month.

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.