To those using an external HDD for iTunes, how to keep it from copying to the MacBook

Discussion in 'MacBook Pro' started by Kendo, Nov 14, 2011.

1. Kendo macrumors 68000

Using default settings, if I drag my music to iTunes from the folder on my external HDD, it copies over onto the MacBook. I only want my music on my external HDD to conserve space and also keep it in iCloud.

What would be the steps I would have to take? Could you please explain literally with a step by step guide? Thanks.

2. GGJstudios macrumors Westmere

GGJstudios

Make sure you uncheck the following in iTunes > Preferences:
    iTunes > Preferences > Advanced > organize & copy checkboxes.PNG

3. gr8tfly macrumors 603

gr8tfly

iTunes Preferences > Advanced. Uncheck "Copy files to iTunes Media Folder when adding to library.".

4. Jolly Jimmy macrumors 65816

Jolly Jimmy

Uncheck :

iTunes > Preferences > Advanced > Copy files to iTunes media folder...

Edit : Dammit guys :rolleyes:

5. Kendo thread starter macrumors 68000

I think I understand the 2nd option. But why uncheck the first? So it won't create tons of folders if you only have 1 song per artist?

6. Jolly Jimmy macrumors 65816

Jolly Jimmy

The first option only affects items in the iTunes media folder, so if you keep your files elsewhere then it has no effect, on or off it's the same.

7. GGJstudios macrumors Westmere

GGJstudios

If you let iTunes manage your music files, you may not like their organization. I certainly don't. It may not matter to some, but I've spent many years building and organizing my collection. I don't want iTunes screwing it up. You can choose what works best for you, but I leave both of those unchecked, so I have complete control over my music files.
    If they only have their music on the external drive, it's likely that's where they designate their media folder to be, so it would affect them.

8. Jolly Jimmy, Nov 14, 2011
    Last edited: Nov 14, 2011

Jolly Jimmy macrumors 65816

Jolly Jimmy

The OP doesn't want the files copied into the iTunes media folder (unless he decides to move it to the external), so like in your case, the first option has no effect.

Edit : Nevermind, I think I see what you mean now.

9. GGJstudios macrumors Westmere

GGJstudios

If I understand this correctly:
    That means they want the external drive to be their only iTunes music folder, which would mean they would make that their iTunes Media folder. If that's the case, iTunes would organize that folder if that box is not checked.

If I misunderstood, I claim senility! :D

10. Jolly Jimmy macrumors 65816

Jolly Jimmy

Yes of course that's correct if you set the folder on the external to be the iTunes media folder, but if you simply keep the files on the external without changing the media location in iTunes' preferences, it has no effect.