iPad mini To those who think they have a perfect retina mini...

Discussion in 'iPad' started by evasquez7, Nov 14, 2013.

1. evasquez7 macrumors member

Would you please take a few pics of it side by side with a full size retina iPad (if you have one). My retina minis colors are definitely washed out and the brightness doesn't seem to be as high as my 4th gen iPad and iPhone 5. I keep reading mixed reviews...some people say there colors are bright and vibrant while others say the opposite. It's quite disappointing.

2. technopimp macrumors 6502a

If you don't like your screen (which is apparently the case) why don't you just return it? How will seeing pictures of someone else's iPad help you?

3. puma1552 macrumors 601

They are different products built to different specs, so comparisons don't do much good. Not to mention photographing screens rarely turns out well.

4. OCJeff, Nov 14, 2013
    Last edited: Nov 14, 2013

OCJeff macrumors regular

I agree 100%. I have both and side by side the rMini just doesn't have the same level of contrast as the Air. No questions asked.

Yep, different products means different specs. They are not the same product.

That's said, without the side by side the rMini looks perfectly adequate. You aren't going to shrink a device by 20% without any sacrifices. (Air @ 9.7 versus rMini @ 7.9)

Just enjoy it, if it bothers you in real world usage then return it.

5. ApplePhy macrumors 6502

I've recently compared the retina mini screen with the air's side by side, and I have to agree with those that say the colors aren't as vibrant on the mini as they are in the air.

You can see this difference on websites where there are lots of white contrasting with black print (macrumors, appleinsider, etc...). The white on the air seems to be much brighter, and the blacks much deeper. Colors also seem to 'pop' just a bit more on the air..

The best way I can describe it is as if the retina mini has a VERY thin layer of Saran Wrap behind the glass, muting the colors and vibrancy just a bit.

6. mcdj macrumors 604

mcdj

There are always variations in vibrancy, contrast, saturation, etc., in all LCDs, even those from the same product line from the same manufacturer, even using same panel vendor.

Even if you got 50 people who think they're screen is perfect to post photos (which you won't), you would not get 50 identical photos, and even if you did, there's no guarantee that your replacement iPad would have a screen identical to what you've seen in the photos.

Every attempt at determining the probability of a perfect screen, based on photos, store location, serial number, date of manufacture, etc., has failed miserably in predicting what another person's screen will look like.

Don't waste your time or energy playing screen detective. The ONLY way to get an acceptable one, if one even exists, is to buy/exchange/return iPad after iPad, until you get one that looks good to YOU.

7. shortcut3d macrumors 65816

I honestly think the color saturation of the iPad Air is too high.

8. evasquez7 thread starter macrumors member

I haven't seen anybody claim they have a perfect retina mini post side by side pics with a retina iPad. I just want to see if "perfect" retina minis are out there. If so I will return mine. If not I could live with it. It still looks really good.

9. vince22 macrumors member

I don't mine muted colors but my retina mini 1/4 screen yellow tint issues is unacceptable and returning it for exchange.

10. evasquez7 thread starter macrumors member

Can you take pics and compare a retina ipad. Even an iphone would do.

11. l0gikb0mb macrumors regular

A lot of people just don't either see it or like saying they have a perfect screen (in regards to saturation). Some don't like the complaints, but they don't have to click the thread discussing the faults either - they add absolutely nothing to the discussion.

I have the Mini in the my hands now, and it definitely looks washed out compared to my iPhone 5 and friend's iPad 4. This is for ALL iPad Minis. It makes sense because Apple wants to make the Mini a lower end product compared to the bigger iPad, however, the price doesn't make sense. If they left it at $329, the screen would be quite a bit easer to accept.

12. bidwalj macrumors 6502a

i can't upload an image for whatever reason but both my mini and air side by side don't look that different. I don't notice any yellow or other issues with either of my screens. The retina mini is a bit less vibrant as mentioned but hardly noticeable and only when side by side. Don't see any issues using it, the display blows what I had in my previous mini.

13. evasquez7 thread starter macrumors member

I'm not too sure all retina minis are suffering from the saturation issue. Check out the Macworld review. The image that shows the home screen def looks a lot more vibrant then my retina mini (most notably the messages and itunes icon).

14. mcdj macrumors 604

mcdj

And if you think an established professionally published magazine, online or not, publishes photos straight from the camera, with no adjustments (hue/sat, contrast, curves, sharpening, etc). then you have a lot to learn.

I know this is what you want to hear, but the fact is, no one online can reliably verify it for you. Can you grasp this?

15. AdonisSMU macrumors 603

I cant wait for Anands review

16. mcdj macrumors 604

mcdj

For the love of dog, when will people stop repeating this nonsense? Apple did NOT reduce the saturation of the Mini to make people want the Air.

That is beyond retarded. Go in to ANY Apple store and look for a salesperson explaining to a potential iPad buyer that the Mini was designed as a lower end model. You will NOT find a single instance of that happening. If anything, Apple tried desperately to make the Air and the Mini EQUALS.

The lower gamut of the Mini is either an inherent byproduct of the screen technology, a back room budgetary decision at Apple, or an intentional throttling of the display capabilities to keep battery life up and heat down.

17. shortcut3d macrumors 65816

The color gamut thread seemed to lead to the panel being able to reproduce a full color gamut. It appeared to be a software issue that may be able to be corrected with an update. Just maybe the same color profile was used from the original iPad Mini.

18. rrm74001 macrumors regular

rrm74001

Stop using your devices side by side. Enjoy it for what it is. If looking at the iPad Mini screen independently negatively impacts your experience, return it. Stop trying to find something wrong with it.

19. x-evil-x macrumors 68030

x-evil-x

Really? Do you honestly believe because the contrast is more"natural" it makes it low end? Turn the contrast down on your flat screen... You just made it lower end... Seriously?

20. bidwalj macrumors 6502a

http://i44.tinypic.com/29gee7m.jpg

Those are both or mine on max brightness in a semi dark room with a yellow light. Took the pics with my 5s. There is a difference BUT it's not that serious.

21. Jensend macrumors regular

The Retina iPad Mini display was intentionally designed with a smaller than 100% sRGB gamut. Higher Gamut = More Power Draw = Shorter Battery Life.

Before the iPhone 5, iPad 3 and rMBP, pretty much all portable LCD displays had small gamuts.

22. AdonisSMU macrumors 603

Its not natural. Thats the point. Thats a I need to justify my purchase type talk. If your happy with washed out color so be it. Its your money. However, Apple is charging a significant premium over competitors so....

23. Patriot24 macrumors 68030

Patriot24

24. cababah macrumors 68000

Pretty close actually. The only issue I see is that the reds on the mini look a tad too orange.

25. davideotape macrumors 6502

Hey, you people who are happy can you do me a favor and go out of your way and take pictures so i can try to convince you not to be?