To TRIM or not to TRIM?

Discussion in 'MacBook Pro' started by Minhthien, Jul 7, 2011.

?

Do you use TRIM Enabler for your SSD?

Poll closed Aug 6, 2011.
  1. Yes! It works!

35.3%
  2. Yes! But I un-installed! Because its slow down my MBP!

10.3%
  3. No! Mine came with garbage collection!

33.8%
  4. WHAT THE HACK IS TRIM ENABLER?

20.6%
  1. Minhthien macrumors 6502

Those with upgraded SSD....Do you use TRIMEnabler or not and why?

My order for Intel 320 120gb will be here soon. I am taking the slower route as the SATA 3 seem like there are some problems. I did do a research and found so many people said TRIM enabler actually slow down their boot time. Please tell me your experiences about upgrade your SSD! Cheers!

2. kasakka macrumors 68000

I used it with my Intel X25-M G2 160 GB. Didn't notice any real difference.

3. Macsavvytech macrumors 6502a

Macsavvytech

I'm not particularly up to date on this subject, I remember the old terminal TRIM enabler caused more problems then it fixed. I don't know about the new one i don't bother my SSD seems to be running fine with garbage collection alone.

4. Ifti macrumors 68000

My SSD has a SandForce controller, which is supposed to TRIM on-the-fly. Had it over a year and Ive never noticed any slow-downs.

5. superericla macrumors 6502

Since it's an Intel SSD I would suggest trying out TRIM. Intel SSDs don't have garbage collection that's OS independent so TRIM is very useful when using an Intel SSD. Sandforce based SSDs do not necessarily need TRIM as much as Intel SSDs do due to their garbage collection that's OS independent.

6. Minhthien thread starter macrumors 6502

Thanks for suggesting this! I will try once it arrive. I also heard that you need to upgrade the firmware of the SSD or is that for window only?

7. superericla macrumors 6502

Firmware updates are typically a good thing to do. They can increase your transfer speed or reliability depending on the update.

8. Minhthien thread starter macrumors 6502

Btw I did went on Intel site but all the firmware update are for windows user. Lets say if i can find the firmware for OS X I can update the firmware after I install a fresh OS X?

9. Jazojas12 macrumors regular

Eh I went through the same problem. It's not specifically for Windows..just burn the files to a disc and try it. Mine wouldn't update the firmware inside my MBP but I put the SSD in a Win laptop with only OSX installed..updated without any problems. You don't need to install a fresh copy of OSX either. I didn't notice any difference between using TRIM and not and updating the firmware..
    YMMV though.

10. Minhthien, Jul 7, 2011
    Last edited by a moderator: Mar 29, 2014

Minhthien thread starter macrumors 6502

Do you know if I can put the SSD in my PC Window Desktop Towel and preform the firmware upgrade? I don't have a laptop and not sure if they use the same power between laptop and desktop SSD? Thanks for your help!

11. Weaselboy Moderator

Weaselboy

Staff Member

Yes they do. It does not appear to be as aggressive as in the Sandforce based drives, but it is there.

12. kappaknight, Jul 7, 2011
    Last edited: Jul 7, 2011

kappaknight macrumors 68000

kappaknight

I just downgraded from a Micron C400 to an Intel 320. All I can say is this computer is now usable again! No more random hiccups browsing the web. No more SC2 players telling me to upgrade my %^&#$@ internet connection when it's actually the SSD freezing. It's great!

I enabled TRIM on mine cause Anandtech suggested it for this drive. I didn't upgrade the firmware to v1.7 cause I can't tell what version I have (4PC10302) but this thing is still pretty fast. The drive was made in May of this year and the firmware upgrade seems like it was released in January - so I'm hoping I have the latest one. Anyway, I can boot w/o any gears showing and Photoshop and the like open in one bounce.

Compared to the Micron/Crucial m4, I can definitely tell a speed difference - the difference being this ACTUALLY WORKS! =) But seriously, both drives are fast and for my everyday stuff I cannot tell a difference. I can confidently say the Intel 320 is a great choice.

13. head honcho 123 macrumors 6502

u should have the option:

Yes! TRIM enabled, but not sure if it's really working.

LOL

14. Minhthien thread starter macrumors 6502

Great! Did you go in to the terminate and type those code after you TRIM it? So i don't have to worry about firmware upgrade for now. I did went to Intel forum and seem like the 320 is having alot of issues too but newegg review gave them straight 5 Stars! Anyway I will find out real soon.

15. Minhthien thread starter macrumors 6502

I installed Kingston Hyper X 8gb 1600mhz and Intel 320 120gb tonight. I did apply TRIM and ran couple test. Please tell me if these score sounds familiar to you guys!

System: MBP 13' i7 and 8gb ram
    Geekbench Score: 7111
    AJA testing at 1gb: Write: 127.6 mb/s and read: 236.4 mb/s
    Boot time: 12.8 second

I also tested my desktop with 7200rpm drive and it only read at 51.3 mb/s and write 52.4 mb/s! :) So far i am pretty happy! Everything snap when open! Everything so fast I must getting used to it!
    I did test the sleep mode and have no problem with wakeing up.

16. hehe299792458 macrumors 6502a

hehe299792458

You're comparing SSDs to conventional hard drives?

17. Timur macrumors 6502a

Timur

I'm using Trim, but since "Trim Enabler" installs an old version kext I rather hex-edited the current kext. It's quite easy anyway (just change two instances of "Apple SSD" to the name of your own drive).

18. head honcho 123 macrumors 6502

i think the latest version of Trim Enabler uses kext from 10.6.8.

19. Sidnicious macrumors newbie

I tried TRIM a couple of times, on 10.6.7 and 10.6.8, with a Vertex 3.

I got lockups — every once and a while, the computer became totally unresponsive for a minute or so.

20. head honcho 123 macrumors 6502

if ur SSD already has garbage collection baked in the firmware, it's recommend that u do not use Trim Enabler.

21. hekokimushi macrumors regular

hekokimushi

used Enabler on 10.6.7 on Vertex 2 no problems here at all.

22. maflynn Moderator

maflynn

Staff Member

I have an OWC SSD with garbage collection and now an intel 320 model. Since the the intel does not offer garbage collection I opted to enable the TRIM feature even if that means that I take a bit of a hit on the OWC SSD's performance.

Overall since enabling the feature last night things are working well for me.

23. Azathoth macrumors 6502a

Intel 160GB G2

After a year I started to feel a slowdown and finally updated the SSD FW to the latest and ran Trim enabler. Booting is faster (measurable) and the machine feels snappier.

24. kappaknight macrumors 68000

kappaknight

No, since the drive is new besides what I just loaded on there, I did not erase the free space and run the commands afterwards. TRIM starts working after you delete stuff, so... not really necessary on a new drive.

25. maflynn Moderator

maflynn

Staff Member

You realize enabling TRIM on a new drive is when you want to enable it, not when you've used it a while. That way the OS can communicate to the drive on what blocks were deleted. You only wan to erase free space when you enable trim on a used SSD.

I have a new intel 120gb and enabled it just for that reason.