To use or not to use

Discussion in 'PowerPC Macs' started by Ih8reno, Jan 10, 2017.

1. Ih8reno macrumors 65816

Ih8reno

I found the following locally and got it at a steal. A G4 upgrade for a PowerBook G3. I have much more powerful power macs and am unsure if I should just save it as a rare (hard to find here at least) upgrade for Apple classic notebooks. In any case I thought you all would like to see it.[​IMG][​IMG]

2. G4fanboy macrumors regular

3. dustinschings macrumors 6502

dustinschings

Use it. It will still fetch a nice price if you decide to sell it.

4. weckart macrumors 68040

Some of these G4 PowerBook upgrades are tied to the firmware of the notebook they are upgrading and won't work on any other as I have found out. Sonnet might be an exception.

5. dustinschings macrumors 6502

dustinschings

That is a terrible business model, if true. Like, what is the point of that? It is not licensed software or anything (thinking of the way CorePlayer used to license to specific machines only.) That said, I would imagine if Sonnet used this policy then it would be wide spread knowledge, I hope lol

6. weckart macrumors 68040

The upgrades required a firmware upgrade to the CPU module, which installed on bootup and needed to read firmware from your PowerBook. This was a one-off process and not reversible or overwritable once activated.

Yes, it sucks mightily. I believe the Sonnets are better in this regard. Mine was a PowerLogix Bluechip.

7. dustinschings macrumors 6502

dustinschings

Good to know. So buying one of these cards second hand, if you don't have the laptop it was used in, is pointless?

8. weckart macrumors 68040

Hard to tell. Best to do research on the specific card in question. From what I can remember, the Sonnet G4 cards required you to run an install application before you inserted the card. I think this was to install Altivec libraries in OS9 and a similar utility in OSX to prime the OS so that the card would not crash the systems. I am not sure if it did anything to the card firmware wise, which would suggest your card is possibly transferable between PowerBooks.

I know you had to send in Pismos to get G4 cards fitted in and you usually lost your original G3 card, so those were usually for keeps and I can't remember those being sold separately from the PBs on eBay or wherever.

9. Adamscomputerrepair macrumors 6502

Adamscomputerrepair

So in other words, don't use it? Cause what I'm seeing here is the opportunity to see tiger on a wall street

10. weckart macrumors 68040

Surely, that is your call? If you bought it for an investment opportunity, it might be worth keeping it as pristine as possible, otherwise, why not use it? As I said, just do a bit of research to check whether this particular chip is or isn't tied to any machine once used. There were many upgrade chips from Sonnet, Daystar, PowerLogix, Newer Tech etc and each had its own quirks.

11. Ih8reno thread starter macrumors 65816

Ih8reno

I am not sure if it was used. As for purpose I just never thought I'd find this locally. The packaging was open and the owner used to use powerbooks. For now it's just cool to have. The last time I found an upgrade it was a 500mhz g3 I believe I now have in my 9600.

12. MacCubed macrumors 68000

MacCubed

Really nice, especially for a Wallstreet! How much did you pay, if you don't mind saying?

13. Ih8reno thread starter macrumors 65816

Ih8reno

20CAD

14. weckart macrumors 68040

I would have been all over that and have quite a few WS/PDQs to play with. Mine was only a G3 500MHz and is now a £10 doorstop. A G4 is extra nice if it works.

15. Ih8reno thread starter macrumors 65816

Ih8reno

Well in the end I decided to try it. Easy one program installation. Change out the card swapped in the ram I had and now it registers as a 500MHZ G4.[​IMG]

16. tdbmoss macrumors regular

tdbmoss

Awesome! :) It should be possible to get Leopard running on it with that rare processor installed, if you fancy the challenge!

17. dustinschings macrumors 6502

dustinschings

Would be interesting to see Leopard on that for sure lol.

18. Hrududu macrumors 68020

Hrududu

Even with a G4 the Wallstreets and PDQs have that terrible Rage LT graphics card which would be a challenge for newer installs of OS X. I recall my PDQ was flaky with 10.2 which was supported. Granted, Jaguar was a buggy OS anyways, but still.

19. flyrod macrumors 6502

flyrod

Nice find! Did you get any pictures of the install process? I wonder which G4 chip it has.

20. Ih8reno thread starter macrumors 65816

Ih8reno

21. bunnspecial macrumors 603

bunnspecial

Well, I'll say that there's a member of this forum who is always willing to pay generous cash promptly for rare CPU upgrades :)

I won't say who it is, but you can get in touch with them easily by clicking the "private message" button under my name :)

In any case-great find and enjoy it whether you decide to keep it or pass it on!

One last thing-as far as installing Leopard...I've been struggling with it for a while now on a Lombard with a G4. It's not a straight forward install. Pismos are easy, but that's because they are(in a round-a-bout way) a portable Sawtooth and with a G4 card Leopard is plug and play. I can't find any record of anyone successfully installing Leopard on a Lombard. I imagine a Wallstreet would be even worse.

22. Ih8reno thread starter macrumors 65816

Ih8reno

appreciate the offer. For now it has 9.2.2 on it until what I wish to do next